“Good for a short stay”

Ranked #34 of 655 Specialty Lodging in Budapest
Mumbai (Bombay), India
“Good for a short stay”
Reviewed July 4, 2012

I stayed here in the month of Nov-Dec for almost 45 days. First the good points, very spacious rooms, helpful staff, close to metro station, room were clean and as shown in pictures. What I did not like about the apartment was the location, which is not very upmarket or maybe I can call it shady in absence of better word. It is close to many bars & restaurants in the lane, there is departmental store barely 2 mins away from the building. I would certainly recommend this for short stay, provides good value for money.

Room Tip: Go for rooms on higher floors
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank Nimish H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Madrid
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I spent 3 nights with my family (father, mother, sister and 18-months-old niece) at this aparthotel and I have mixed feelings about it. It definitely has a number of good features: good location, in a nice neighbourhood with plenty of bars and restaurants, at walking distance from the historical centre of Budapest; it is quite cheap, actually one of the cheapest options in town, and keeping that in mind, it is really good value for money. Our apartment had basic furnishing but was functional, of a decent size (kitchen, bathroom, bedroom and living room with a sofa-bed), clean and with lots of natural light. Although there are a few bars in the area and many guests are yougsters, noise was not a problem and we all could sleep well as the bed and sofa-bed were comfotable.

The only thing this place really lacks is customer service. We arrived at about midnight and after finally locating reception, which was quite difficult to find (it's one of the apartments in the second floor) and even though we informed the hotel of our arrival time, we found the door was locked and a "Be right back" sigh was sticked on it. Us, along with three other guests waited for about 20 minutes and no-one showed up. It was cold and we were all tired, especially my little niece. Luckily one of the other guests found a phone number to call. The guy on the other side said he on his way, but it took him another 10 to 15 minutes to show up, and when he finally appeared, he didn't even apologize. He then took his time to check us in, write down our details, make copies of our passports, collect a deposit for our key... all of this without showing any signs of sympathy for an elderly couple, a pregnant woman and her 18-months-old baby. As if this wasn't enough, when we finally entered our apartment I found there was no baby bed, which I had requested at time of booking. I had to go to reception again and this guy didn't believe me, so I had to show him my reservation... he finally gave me a foldable baby bed, which of course I had to take to the apartment and assemble myself.

Apart from that terrible start, we had a pleasant stay all in all. Good customer service is vital in any hotel, though, that's why I've rated Agape so poorly. Maybe I was unlucky, probably you will have a perfect, uneventul stay there if you go, the fact is, any place can be OK if nothing happens, but what really makes a good place is the staff's ability to avoid any inconvenience or, when they do occur, to find a quick solution and show some interest in their job and their guests. This obviously didn't happen so I'm afraid that all that this place gains in terms of good value and location becomes worthless.

If you want to give it a try, go ahead, as far as I'm concerned, if I'm back in Budapest I definitely won't go to Agape again.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank MadridWings
uk
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Fantastic location! Really close to some really great bars. Bit noisey but thats a by product of being in a buzzy location! Good size studio, comfy beds, very happy and would stay there again! Great value for money! Supermarket just next door too!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed May 14, 2012

The agape was spacious and had all we needed for a 3 night stay, even a washing machine. Kitchen had large fridge, full stove and micro tho' we only used the fridge. The bathroom is spacious, tub and shower were great. It was really clean. The street is a little noisy but we were able to close the windows. There are fans in the two rooms. There are several good restaurants and pizza/kebab (right across the street, delicious!) nearby.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Venturo5
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed April 27, 2012

I was in Budapest for only one night on business. This Apartment style hotel served the purpose. I found the staff helpful and the room spacious. The bed was basic but appropriate for the price. The casual restaurant/bar next door was useful and it was close to currency exchange and main street. I didn't see any of the unsavoury elements mentioned in other reviews (but I wasn't looking!) I recommend this place for people who want basic accommodation at a reasonable price and in a handy location in Budapest. It is good value.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Rod129
Reviewed March 7, 2012

My wife and I stayed for a long weekend and found the accommodation fine -had everything we wanted for our short stay. The area around was ok and close to the metro,trams and 25 min walk to the Danube and shopping areas and sites.
Breakfast in a nice little cafe round the corner which was all included in the very reasonable price . It's not 5start but then your not paying 5star prices. Staff helpful, so all in all ideal for a short stay .

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank Trevor M
glasgow
Reviewed February 22, 2012

Stayed here from Thurday till the Sunday. There are all sorts of bad reviews below - I have no idea why!!

We seen no Hookers, or dodgys. We had one guy approach us outside the bar downstairs offering us drugs / women. However a polite no and he went away (he was actually quite pleasant!) The apartments themselves are secure entry, and inside they are ideal for groups of stag do's. Clean and tidy, the fold out single bed is rubbish the slates come away all the time, but the main beds, beathroom and kitchen are well laid out clean and tidy.

If I was heading back I would definately stay here agagin. The mono bar downstairs os great and very welcoming, Sylvia, Katie and Cynthia put up with all our loudness and demands for beer each and every day with a smile on thier face.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends