“Nice looking cakes but poor, cheeky service”

Szamos Grand Hotel Royal - Erzsebet krt.
Ranked #99 of 186 Dessert in Budapest
Neighborhood: District VII / Jewish Quarter
Neighborhood: District VII / Jewish Quarter
Reviewed February 2, 2014

We'd been told this was the best cake cafe in Budapest. We went in for cakes and coffee. Tried to order at the counter, where we could see the cakes and point but were urgently told to sit back down. Over came a sulky waitress. Loads of stuff on the menu wasn't available. In the end my friend ordered black forest gateau. I ordered it too. He got his, but there was nothing for me. I called the waitress back and she shrugged and said, "He got the last piece."

When it came to paying, despite there being a 15% service charge on the bill, the waitress kept the change! I asked for it back. She gave me about a third of what we were due.

Cheeky, pathetic, rude service leaves a nasty taste, good cakes or otherwise.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

The pogacsa is one of the best in Budapest. They have good coffee and the prices are reasonable and their cafe near Normafa is so nice in the summer and so cosy in the winter.

Reviewed December 29, 2013

This place came highly recommended by expat friends and following Trip Advisor recommendations we visited today for a late afternoon coffee and cake. The Kreme pastry was superb - the pastry was flaky and the cream filling was smooth and not cloyingly sweet. I had their Szamos coffee (espresso and hot vanilla milk) and it was absolutely delightful: thick and rich and went very well with the Kreme pastry. Their capuccino and macchiato are not as good. I will definitely come back for more Kreme and Szamos coffee!

Reviewed November 21, 2013

This is a must visit if you get the chance. Great service, excellent menu and one of the biggest displays of cakes in Budapest. All sandwiches and baguettes are freshly made and very tasty. Tea and coffee were both of a high standard. Not expensive either, good value.

Reviewed November 19, 2013 via mobile

If you don't mind the waiting staff rolling their eyes or huffing and puffing.below their breath when you ask questions, this is the place to go to for great sweets and pastry. By my 6th day in a Budapest. I have gotten used to lack lustre service and my expectation is generally low but my experience in this place really takes the cake.

The range of dessert is extensive and whether you are a dark chocolate fan, a milk chocolate fan or a pastry fan, there is something for everyone. If you love marzipan, this must be marzipan heaven.

Pity about the service. Despite all the sweetness, you leave with a bitter taste in your mouth.

1  Thank BrigitteGolightly