“Best Borscht ever” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Matrjoska bisztro

Matrjoska bisztro
Ranked #58 of 3,044 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: European, Russian, Eastern European, Central European, International, Fusion, Gastropub
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
New Orleans
“Best Borscht ever”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2014

In ten days of eating in Budapest restaurants, this is one of only two that I would recommend. Located on a charming small square with relaxing outdoor seating, the preparation was careful if not imaginative, the wine list pretty darn good, and service excellent. The Borscht was unlike other versions I've had, theirs also includes beef and carrots. It was fabulous. We finally stopped ordering salads in Hungary (which were always disappointing from American standards) when we realized - at this restaurant - that we should be ordering their home made pickled vegetables which can include cabbage, cucumbers with or without sour cream, tomatoes, and other specialties of the house. We still have a few days here in Budapest and will probably go back.

3 Thank PHurdlik

Budapest, Hungary
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2014

Me and my partner decided to visit this lovely place across from our hotel zichy , nice decor and pleasent staffs made our evening remarkable . food was very nice i felt it was a bit of fusionistic russian food . the fish appetizer was a beauty . Recommened without any hesitation

California
“Perfectly Tuned Budapest Bistro”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014

Tired after arriving in Budapest, and staying at the Hotel Zichy, we decided to eat there after looking at the menu, all Russian-themed food. It was amazing. The wait staff were friendly and helpful and yes, spoke English. They brought us tap water upon request, then some bread and olive oil the (I think they could see we were tired tourists). The rest of the meal was delicious, fresh, with inventive tastes while riffing on the Russian cuisine. They change their menu about every week or so, so what I had may be different than what is offered.

The service was prompt, and the visuals of the meal were clean and interesting (new silverware with each course--a rarity!). We had citrusy bulgar salad, chilled white pumpkin cream soup with a cool dill jelly for a garnish, borscht (fabulous), and the daily fish special of grilled catfish atop grilled vegetables. For dessert we shared the poppy seed cake and homemade vanilla ice cream. We liked it so much we went back a second time, and although the menu hadn't changed, we enjoyed it just as well. The only change was we tried the pork belly with prawns. This time, we saved our dessert and went next door to the ice cream parlor (also owned by them) and treated ourselves to two fabulous different flavors of ice cream. (I put up photos of our meal.)

It was so lovely eating on this very pleasant square, and I would go back in heartbeat.

Ignore the naysayers--and come and eat here. And if you can get that recipe for the chilled pumpkin soup, send it to me!

3 Thank Letterpress
“Excellent Meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I were also staying at the hotel right across the street from the restaurant and stopped in for a late lunch. The restaurant was not crowded at that time. We were seated immediately and our server was very attentive and professional. The food was excellent. My wife had a herring appetizer and a couscous salad. Both were very good. I had borscht which was very flavorful and light. It arrived with a side of sour cream which I added - it made the soup flavor and mouthfeel a bit richer. For a main course I ordered grilled shrimp and pork belly. That was also very well done. The pork belly was quite meaty but had enough fat to make it very flavorful. I also had a local beer with my lunch.

San Diego, CA
“Best Meal in 3 weeks, 4 countries”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 1, 2014

The gifted chef creates dishes wonderful to see as well as to eat. Apparently they change the menu frequently. The decor is lovely, the wait staff professional, but the food takes center stage all by itself. Flavor combinations were subtle and deft. If this is Russian food, I need to have it more often.

• Visited June 2014