“Clean and comfortable but too noisy”
Review of Hotel Bara

Hotel Bara
Ranked #151 of 196 Budapest B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 28, 2007

We stayed at Hotel Bara for three nights whilst visiting friends in the City. The location was ideal as there were transport links just outside into the city centre, a bit too far to walk but for the price you pay you can't expect it to be central. The room was pleasant and clean and the staff were polite and helpful. Unfortunately what nearly ruined it for us was fellow Brits. It seems this hotel is popular with British stag weekends and we had hours and hours of shouting, fighting, swearing and similar from a group on our floor. The staff tried to calm them down but to no avail. For this reason I wouldn't go back, which is a shame as it was a lovely hotel until the English parties arrived.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Nickyjanehill

Reviewed May 7, 2007

We stayed for nine days and were disturbed on the last 2 nights by a group of young men who talked in a loud voice and slammed doors between midnight and 6am. The staff seemed unable to control this and most other guests were disturbed. The room was adequate but there is only one hairdryer, which has to be borrowed on a daily basis from the reception. Linen was changed regularly but the duvets consist of a blanket inserted into a sheet liner - not really enough. The shower was very good. The food was adequate, but the muesli disappeared from the breakfast selection after the first couple of days. There were moths in the cereal on the last morning. The staff were very helpful and had a wide knowledge of the town and good relationships with taxi and shuttle bus services.The conference hall is very good with a solid wood floor. However, I would think twice about returning because of the noise. If you have a room on the front the traffic will disturb you throughout the night if the window is open. The location is not ideal - on a main dusty road.

• Stayed: April 2007
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Marj50
Reviewed January 6, 2007

my girlfriend and I stayed at the hotel Bara for four nights over the new years period and were more then happy with it. Our room was clean and pleasent, the shower was nice and powerfull , it came with a fridge , comfy chairs and table. We have stayed in 5star Raddisons and Hiltons so we wernt expecting much from a 30quid a night 3star hotel but there really was nothing to complain about. Didnt eat the breakfast there as there was some cheap places down the road. Theres a nice little pub nearby which was cheaper then in the centre and did nice food. We didnt bother getting any buses because we like to walk, but to get an idea about taxis we paid 10quid to go to the airport and new years eve we got a taxi to hotel from right in centre of pest at about 3am and it was 8quid. A 10 minute walk tio the left of the hotel takes you to 'mom park' which is a shopping centre with cinema and supermarket. Theres plenty to do in budapest and we will go again this year. We would recomend this hotel to anyone on a budget.

• Stayed: January 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank amoresperros
Reviewed October 1, 2006

The location of the hotel was ok, buses 8 and 112 got you to Pest in a few minutes but stopped running at 11pm. Taxis were reasonable but careful for similar looking foreign money as change (we got done with romanian money to the tune of £30 unfortunately). The drawback of the location was that if you wanted to go back to the hotel in between day and eve it was a hassle. The cleanliness was ok but the room we got looked nothing like the website picture so beware! I had to make our bed upon arrival and reception weren't very helpful with bus tickets etc. You had to put your fingers into the tv to change channels (buttons were missing). The breakfast was disappointing and hot stuff was cold. It was also very noisy at night due to traffic. Quite a businessy feel to the hotel and didn;t seem like a 3 star to us. All the action is in Pest so if i went back i would book a hotel there and not in Buda.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
4  Thank millie81
Reviewed June 27, 2006

The Hotel Bara was perfect for a short city break in an amazing city.
My friend and I, both females in our 20s, felt we had picked the perfect hotel at a great price.
It was a bit of a trek from the airport, but that was part of the adventure, and the hotel arranged us a taxi at just 5000 HFT back to the airport.
We had enough towels, soap and bedding for the stay and I am sure if we didn't we would have only have had to ask.
Yeah, the food wasn't great at breakfast, but there was enough food there to keep the hunger pangs at bay till lunchtime - even if it was just cereal and toast.
Public transport was nearby to get into the centre, and the hotel was on the route to be picked up for many of the city tours on offer (highly recommended if you want to see the whole city).

• Stayed: June 2006
5  Thank Apple
Reviewed June 18, 2006

I stayed with my wife at the Bara for 6 nights. It was recommended by a relative.
It is my fourth time in Budapest and I always had a problem finding good value for my money.

I'll give you the highlights

Price was 50 euros per night. My wife did the booking and she seems to have a hard time getting confirmation that it was actually available for our dates.

Location was convenient, you'll need to take the bus #8 and you'll be in the Vaci Utca within 5-7 minutes. Walking in the other direction, there is a Mall called MOM, there a bunch of stores, grocery store and movie theatre (movies are cheap at 3.5 euros per person)
Taking the streetcar 61 will lead you to Moscow square.

Room was very basic. My Tv didn't seem to work, that's why I ended up at the movies a few times... Bed seems to be made, not sure if it was changed. I asked for extra towels and it seems like it was a lot a trouble from one of the made... Don't expect shaving cream, toothpaste or shampoo. You'll 2 small bar of soap for the week... After day 5, we didn't have anymore soap! Furniture was Ikea at best. The bathroom has a tiny shower stall. Once you are done, there is water everywhere on the floor...

If I would do it again, I would take a gamble on a different place.

• Stayed: June 2006
3  Thank CanadianBoy76
Reviewed March 16, 2006

it was ok ..but the food was bad ..really bad!! the room was ok .. (tv had no control remote...i asked but they ignored me when i requested for one) the people at reception are ok, but could do wiht been a bit more friendly....however theres a guy (with beard) that is very polite..apart from that bara is not a 3 star hotel..but mayb a 2 star..it has the potential and the space..but could do with some improvements (customer service and quality of food)

• Stayed: March 2006