“Good location, but the price was too high for what you actually get”
Review of Hotel Bara

Hotel Bara
Ranked #143 of 191 Budapest B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 28, 2014

About this hotel I have to admit that it has not been renovated since it was built. Staff is kind, maybe that is the only good thing and hotels location has access to transport even at 1 am in the night. I guess people are unhappy with the interior-well i have heard it could be worse, but the biggest trouble we experienced was that there was no heating in the room. We booked through Olotels and there it was not indicated if we are going to stay in the Hotel which is the front building or in the Junior pension which was a long corridor with stairs, unfortunately they gave us in the Junior part, and then I my hopes dyed immediately on the way to the room. The room will not be vacuumed, just wiped, it looked that the bed were just made but in such a way that you might say it was not the cleaning lady but the previous guests. I can say this hotel stay must no longer last more than 2-3 days! And last, the room was somewhere away from the main road and it was quiet with the exception of the noise from the other guests. I don't want to be rude but pay a little bit more ans stay even 5kms away from the center but be comfortable. Public transport in Budapest for 1 week all possible lines is just 4995 HF.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank NeliSev

Reviewed October 5, 2013

OK where do I start? Reception is staffed by members of the Adams family whose objective is to remove any hopes you had of a happy stay, (the alarm bells start to ring in your ears at this stage). If your life long wish was to go on a long LONG walk whilst carrying heavy luggage and climbing a few hundred steps then you are in the right place otherwise turn around and run.The room will almost certainly have a floor and some walls with a window in one of them (do not look out of this, you will only start crying again). The beds? Let me tell you that I have a wallpaper pasting table at home that would serve as a better bed. The TV will not work, you will have no tea or coffee making facilities,the breakfast is authentic Hungarian road kill. Do not go there, I haven't stopped crying for a month, my doctor tells me that I need another holiday to get over it.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Lawrence M
Reviewed September 18, 2013

This was terrible. Firstly our booking was not accepted as valid (despite five other hotels in as many other countries recognising and accepting our booking) and so we had to take a smaller (albeit cheaper) room. This room had no air ventilation, no fan in the toilet, and the window was unable to be opened. The bed was broken, no TV, and walls as thin as paper - it got so bad I had to be moved at 1 in the morning as I couldn't hear anything but our Polish neighbours. We received no refund for this - or even an apology! The staff were unhelpful (except for the guy who works nights) and the breakfast unclean. I would have found it permissible but the rudeness and the price (low value for money) was unacceptable so I felt compelled to write this review.

Room Tip: Make sure its away from road and in Junior - NOT Guest House.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Charles W
Reviewed June 10, 2013

After looking at the previous reviews we were a bit weary but actually found that you get what you pay for. The room was clean and tidy although very basic. We did not have a TV but that was not a problem. The staff were very helpful, you could book many activited through them if you wished. They all spoke very reasonable English. The breakfast offered a variety of food depending on what you liked. There was hot stuff, pastries, cereal, various breads amongst other different hungarian items. There was no lift but that was not really a problem for us.

it is also a 20min walk from the Gellert Spas, 15min from the Citadella and a bit further into the city centre.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 8, 2013

I booked the hotel through low cost holidays with no problem at all. We arrived very late and the staff were welcoming. Our room was on the 5th floor. The room was clean and tidy and so was the bathroom. There was no tv but in some places you can connect to wifi. The room was basic but then we didnt pay much for it but was better then I expected. Breakfast was a buffet which had Hungarian hot breakfast dishes but also had other things like rolls and cereal and was good. The hotel had underground parking (not the we used it). The staff were helpful in booking trips and giving information about the local area. The hotel is about 2.5km walking from the centre with a hill involved. We walked the hill and it wasn't too bad. Taxis from the hotel to the centre are about 1700 forints which was quite cheap but make sure you book the taxi in advance to avoid high charges.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

Situated in 3 stops by buses 8, 112, 239 and night bus from metro Ferenciek. It takes 5 min to go metro or center.
Rooms are medium, but no TV. I think we don't need it anyway.
Our number was on 5th floor. There is no elevator. So that was so difficult to go up after Budapest whole day walking.
Price for bar and drinks is average.
If you stay in Budapest for a couple of days it may be good hotel for you.

2  Thank alebedynets
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Good for sleep-overs and breakfast, and you can park a car free in a nearby street. Decent room, nice bathroom and everything was clean, which I think is most important. Breakfast was wery good too. If you can, take the room that does not look at street, as is is a noisy one, even at night.
15€ per person for day/night including a room, breakfast(excellent one) and a city tax.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends