“Good hotel, Friendly people”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of City Hotel Unio

City Hotel Unio
Ranked #205 of 342 Hotels in Budapest
Holland
“Good hotel, Friendly people”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Made a booking by internet; quick reply, friendly helpfull people and good price!
A complete breakfast, big rooms and in walking distance to city-center. Can advice to everyone for a short stay in Budapest. Many smal/good restaurants and bars within 150 meters of the hotel. Would go there again!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank OnzenEr

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 10, 2012

The location is good for keleti train station, I walked it in around 10 mins with a big rucksack and a backpack. I could otherwise have taken a tram nearby. It is about a 10 min walk to the Danube and the main tourist attractions, but tram and metro stops are nearby. The area itself was perfectly safe, in part of the urban core between the river and keleti station.

The hotel is a little dated, although the foyer and restaurant have a rustic charm. The room was fine, although it could have done with a spruce up, such as changing the stained carpet and replacing the broken shower cubicle. It was otherwise fine for the price (around £23 for the night.)

My main complaint concerns the poor WiFi signal in the room. It was advertised as "WiFi throughout" but in my room on the 4th floor it varied between rubbish and non existent, which I found frustrating.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Business_Germany_UK
wizard of essex
Reviewed June 27, 2012

It's not a joke, but it is amusing. In many ways this hotel encapsulates the recent history of the city of Budapest. The entrepreneurs are desperately trying to shake off the lethargic attitudes left by the communist yoke. The new breed of designers are attempting to re-create the glory that was the Hapsburg Empire. The problem is that, under the Eastern Bloc, the requisite skills needed to turn these visions into reality, have been lost. The quality of fittings and workmanship are below the level of similar hotels in Western Europe.
All the rooms seem to be larger than average by European city standards and are cleaned daily. There is plenty of hot water and the bathrooms are fully tiled. On the downside, several handles fell off during use (including the inside bathroom handle, temporarily incarcerating the better-half), the main lightwsitch was hidden behind the headboard, the curtain tie-backs were nailed to the wall, the wardrobe was not high enough to hang a full-length dress and the carpet was threadbare in places. Our friends next door had most of these problems, but were pleased to find that their TV did not work and they were not able to watch the Queen's Diamond Jubillee. (An event we were trying to avoid in the first place).
Breakfast was a drab affair with poor quality coffee and an uninspired selection of bread,cereal, ham and cheese. The refilling of these few items and the clearing of tables was pedantic at best. We were not inspired into trying the buffet evening meals served here.
The service from the lobby was little better, though always civil and pleasant. When asked why the internet point was not working, the deskclerk informed us that he didn't understand computers and returned to his evening meal. Another clerk was asked if he could call a car big enough for four adults with large suitcases. He ordered a VW Trabbant which couldn't even take the luggage.
Having listed all these problems, it seems incongruous to state that our stay at the Unio Hotel was not an unpleasant one. In many ways this is a 'Cheap & Cheerful' hotel, not without charm, centrally situated, with easy access to all of the city. It is run by inefficient and untrained personnel who try to help within their limited capabilities. This establishment was refurbished 12 years ago and is now in need a complete overhaul.

Room Tip: Take a small 'handyman' tool with you. (My wife did!)
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank gandalfwizardofessex
Gloucestershire
Reviewed June 23, 2012

We stayed here for 5 nights from 14 -June-2012.
Temp everyday was over 30C, there was no aircon in our room or the hotel that we could see.
We couldn't fault our room or its location, always had a good nights sleep, (apart from the heat).
It had planty of space and the bathroom had a good shower. It was clean and comfortable.
Everyday, bed was made, towels were changed.
Breakfast was typical continental, but uninspiring, we have 1 breakfast in a cafe around the corner, the quality there was much better.
Hotel overall is in need of redecorating and a fresh lick of paint would help.
The flags outside the hotel need replacing, even their own has faded so much that it looks like the Irish flag now.
Staff were just freindly enough, but didn't seem to want to go that extra mile.
It certainly helps if you can speak German, they got better attention.
Good location, just off one of the main Boulevards and very close to public transport, which we used all the time.
Trams, buses, trolly buses and underground everywhere. Brilliant city for transport.
We will go again, but won't stay here.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Varde
Reviewed June 19, 2012

I believe for the amount we pay (some 40€ including breakfast for two) you can not dream a 5star service or room. For this money you get spaceous and clean room here, basic but friendly service, good location - near to tram, metro. As we were tourist we hardly spent time in our room, so I did not care that the furniture was bit outdated and the televison was not the newest technology! We enjoy Budapest very much and we did so the hotel. Recommended if you don't want to spent too much money on accomodation.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Thomas B
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed June 12, 2012

The hotel has a nice restaurant in the lobby that provides ample and delicious meals (but look out--you may be the only one dining there at any time). However, when I paid for my meal, I was short-changed in the change that the old man tending the place gave back to me when I paid. It was the equivalent of 10 euros (in forints). Now, I don't speak Hungarian and the old man (waiter?) didn't speak English (as is very common in Hungary). But when I realized the error in change and produced it to show him, he had a look of recognition on his face and walked off to retrieve the missing change. He then gave me EXACTLY how much was missing from the first time he gave me my change back. I wondered how he knew, without me communicating to him, how much change was missing. I realized that it was because he did it intentionally. It was early January, there weren't a lot of people in the hotel, I figured business was slow, so maybe that's why he tried. However, if you stay here, beware.

Also, the advertised internet didn't work anywhere except the lobby on the hotel's computer. And the bed in my room was AWFULLY uncomfortable. Thin mattress with bed springs sticking in my back. I have stayed at nice, cheap places in Budapest. This place is neither nice or cheap, nor honest!

Stayed January 2012, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Budapest hotels

Pennsylvania
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I am a frequent visitor to Budapest, and usually stay at one of the hotels near Blaha Lujza ter. This time, I saw Unio on one of the online booking sites - the price was excellent so I tried it. I think I may go back to Blaha Lujza ter next time.

For me, the most important shortcoming was the lack of a reliable internet connection in my room. The internet service is free and supposedly available in the rooms. When I asked at the front desk why it was not working in my room, I was advised to access the internet from the hotel lobby. From there, it worked fine, but that is really not acceptable in my opinion.

Having said that, if reliable internet is not an important requirement, then the Unio is a pleasant hotel.

The hotel is in a good location - one block from the main boulevard. The address is Dob Street, but the entrance is around the corner on Harsfa St. This location is about midway between stops on the 4/6 tram line. There is a grocery store and post office across the street, and the main boulevard has a wide selection of restaurants and many kinds of stores. The location is generally quiet.

The room was big, with high ceilings. Furnishings were so-so. I booked a twin room with single occupancy, so I had two small single beds. There was no other writing desk or real chair in the room. The mattresses were not very comfortable, although the pillows were very nice. Lighting was adequate.

I had the air conditioning running, but it didn't seem to do very much (except make a fan noise). Perhaps it was cooling a bit, but it never made a dramatic change in the temperature of the room. The shower was a small "cubicle" style shower common in Europe. The fixture to adjust the water volume and temperature was about waist-high, so several times when I turned around, I bumped the control and changed the water temperature quite dramatically. The shower pressure was fine, and the hot water was plentiful.

Breakfast was included in the very reasonable room rate, and was generous.

To summarize, the lack of reliable internet makes it impossible for me to recommend Hotel Unio. But if internet is not important, this is a good base in Budapest to be located in a very central location at a very good price.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo