“Fun time, but a bit cruel”

Capital Circus of Budapest
Budapest Private Full-Day City Tour and Christmas Markets
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Reviewed June 21, 2013

I really enjoyed the circus and most of the acts were brilliant, but I didn't enjoy watching the tiger show, the tigers are terrified of the trainer and its obvious they have been tortured with the trainers whip, if a tiger was a foot out of line it would get whipped, so bad that I was hoping the trainer got eaten. Saying that I still enjoyed the rest of the show and would go back if in Budapest.

2  Thank GCPD

Reviewed June 2, 2013

Cheapest ticket was just 1900ft which is fantastic value, we were second row and just behind most of the performance, but worth it.

3  Thank David B
Reviewed May 7, 2013

First off: yes, this shows has animals in it. To be precise, snakes, alligators, parrots, tigers, and elephants, that I can remember. I'm not going to get into an animal rights rant right here, so I'll just say: if you can't stand this, you shouldn't go.
That being said, if it doesn't bother you, it's probably a good show for you. There's fun, funky music playing the whole time, and it's nonstop. You'll never have a dull moment; even when they're changing sets between acts they have the clowns come out to the sideline to entertain everyone. The physical feats the acrobats are capable of don't seem humanly possible, and I spent about half the show peeking through my fingers, terrified someone was going to break their necks. Kids'll love it.
A few notes:
1) All the announcements are in Hungarian, as mentioned in other reviews, but don't worry you'll be able to understand what's going on anyway.
2) The seats basically run between 2000 to 4000 forints a person, and if you don't have any kids, you can spring for the cheap seats and still have a great view. That being said, if you do have kids, it's worth going for the more expensive seats, because these are ringside, and during the show the clowns will be right up there next to them, throwing balls into the audience, giving away candy or whatever, entertaining the children, and if you're sitting in the nosebleed section your kid won't be able to participate.
3) There is an intermission. In my show, after 45 min, we had a 15 minute intermission followed by an 1hr 15min more of the show. I imagine this will change sometime in the future because they do change up the show every couple of months. Still, if other reviews are any indication, expect an intermission of some sort.
4) Concessions are somewhat limited. Bring your own if you want them.

3  Thank scottishowlgirl
Reviewed April 11, 2013

My daughter was desperate to see a "real" circus and given her autism, I gave in to her needs rather than stick to my principles which are that animals really shouldn't be in the circus.

Well it was quite an insight into Budapest life. Young and old gathered there in Europe's only permanent circus - I felt like this was the real thing.

There were the usual but impressive human circus acts - trapeze, juggling, clowns even a musical fountain but the most memorable thing was seeing a man in a cage with 5 tigers. While the rest of the crowd including Sophie seemed to accept that this was very impressive but perfectly safe. I felt only fear - at any moment these animals could tear him to pieces. Needless to say they didn't.

I can't absolutely recommend the show because seeing the elephants doing tricks made me feel really sad. Then again I find elephants in captivity generally upsetting.

If you do go to the circus in Budapest it is best to go and collect your tickets from the box office. I found the advertised times and dates were not accurate.

The easiest way to find the circus is to take the Metroline one up to Széchenyi fürdő . If you have an all day ticket and like to try different forms of transport you can catch trolley bus 72 back into the city centre.

2  Thank Davidbailey260365
Reviewed April 1, 2013

My boyfriend and I went to the Saturday afternoon performance during our recent weekend visit to Budapest. We got the cheapest tickets (around £5 each) and still had a good view - as it's in the round it doesn't particularly matter where you sit so I would advise going for the cheapest ones available. Really entertaining full on circus with acrobats and animals (including horses, camels and elephants). All the announcements are in Hungarian but don't think this detracted from the experience at all. Just an FYI that there is an interval just over half way through - we weren't sure whether the performance was over but it went on for another hour or so, after a 30 minute interval, so make sure you stick around!

1  Thank Jennifer H