“So lovely”

59 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 138 helpful votes
“So lovely”
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I strongly recommend trying Kiraly Baths. The building is old, the athmosphere lovely. Go late in the evening on weekdays and you have it almost for yourself. The staff is helpful and the chamomile fragranced sauna so lovely. And the hot tubs... :) a LOVELY old fashioned feeling. A must for all true lovers of water therapy, saunas and bath tubs

Visited August 2012

43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 91 helpful votes
“A unique experience”
Reviewed August 8, 2012

Thanks to the wonderful review written by ‘suzyness’ we headed to these baths as we were staying in an apartment near Margaret Island. We studied the photo of the exterior very closely and then recognized it immediately. What a unique experience. The receptionist and locker attendant were particularly friendly and helpful and there were lots of signs in English. Being a sixteenth century building the atmosphere was soothing and calm. It was not ‘dirty’, just typical of an ancient building especially one that tolerates the thermal waters every day. The smell of sulphur was more noticeable outside than in. The changing cubical area was spotless and the variety of pools suited the preferences of everyone. We loved these small atmospheric baths but for those who want a crowded, modern facility there are other choices. Some of the photos attached to previous reviews are not of Kiraly baths, i.e. large pool with Roman columns belongs to Gellert Spa.

Visited August 2012
6 Thank fozwanderer
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“For the off the beaten track traveller”
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Now I must admit I do like my luxury & I loved the Szechenyi & Gellert baths but I was rather intrigued by the internal pictures of this bath house on the internet, so I wanted to check it out (with my boyfriend in tow). When I saw the photo of the outside on this site I was a bit horrified! Suddenly the reservations started kicking in... then I read some of the reviews. I knew that the person complaining about the smell hadn't cottoned onto it being sulphur... duh! so I ignored that. But when people started complaining about staff & dirty water I felt dubious. Still we decided to give it a go.

Had it not been for the photo on this site, we wouldn't have found it. Yes, it really looks like that. The lady on reception was helpful enough & the guy who locked our cabin for us although limited in speaking English, patient & helpful. We didn't part with any money for key deposits.

We gave the jacuzzi a miss. Nothing wonderful there - just a big modern hot tub. We headed straight for the pools & to be honest were wowed by them. This place has a totally different atmosphere than the bigger touristy baths. It's obviously favoured by the locals. It really does feel medicinal. It's not huge. There is the main circular pool at a gorgeous 36 degrees, a steam room, a cold bath, shower room, a small 40 degree pool and a small 32 degree with 2 other saunas at different temperatures.

Yes, it could do with some gentle & careful renovation but it should remain relatively spoilt. It was clean but very basic (a man was testing water samples). The staff were good & for 2400ft for the experience who could complain. Apart from all of that soaking up the history of the place is an added bonus.

P.s. my boyfriend was being eyed up a little, but we just found that amusing. He stuck close to me :)

5 Thank suzyness
Copenhagen, Denmark
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Looks run-down, is nice”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

This authentic thermal bath is very old and slightly cheaper than e.g. the Gellert baths. The outside of the building could use some fresh paint, as it's really uninviting. Confusingly, the cabins are locked with two separate keys rather than with the electronic wristband as in other baths. Inside, the hot baths are very nice, although you have to get used to the smell of sulfur. They also have a modern Jacuzzi in a separate room.

For tourists only visiting one thermal bath in Budapest, I would probably recommend Gellert baths instead, as they have nicer facilities, and both indoor and outdoor pools.

Visited June 2012
Trinidad and Tobago
354 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 635 helpful votes
“A local experience which is very very different; enjoyed it, read info before you go”
Reviewed June 30, 2012

This place is definitely DIFFERENT -
- old building, ready for demolish, BUT its the original from 1565!
- locals go there, old equipment locker rooms etc - BUT this is very original, Hungarians love it, its not dirty or anything, just the whole equipmt is probably 30-50y old
- employees do not speak English BUT hey, they are experts in operating this place and are happy to worl there for a salary thats not much more than a night in the Gellert Hotel...

So all in all - check it out, thhe downside is you do not like it and walk around the block into the coffee shop of Hotel Regnum,

We paid a subsidized rate of 4 Eur

MUST do the very hot steam room, this is excellent

Visited June 2012