“An incredibly enjoyable evening ” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Zeller Bistro

Zeller Bistro
Ranked #10 of 3,044 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: European, Central European, Hungarian
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Kids, Romantic, Special occasions
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: District VII / Jewish Quarter
Description: Hungarian home-style nouvelle cuisine, bistro ambiance. Limited seating, reservation required.Our Opening hours:Tuesday to Saturday: 12-15;18-23/ Sunday and Monday: closed
Swindon, United Kingdom
“An incredibly enjoyable evening ”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner spent our first evening in Budapest here and boy did we enjoy it.

The menu was good, looking to be a mixture of traditional Hungarian, using local ingredients, but in a more refined and modern way. We had the cured meat plate to start, followed by grey beef steak and beef cheeks with celery balls. To finish we both enjoyed a rich chocolate soufflé. All very nice but the beef cheeks and celery balls were certainly the standout dish.

The sparkling elderflower 'champagne' upon arrival was delicious and a great welcome gesture. We also tried red and desert wines, all produced by the farther of the family that runs the bistro. I particularly enjoyed desert wine which had a well judged balance of sweetness and acidity.

The staff are practically faultless. From the perfect English, to the food and wine explanations and the attentive but not overbearing service - a real selling point of this restaurant.

I also found the restaurant to be very good value. Our bill came to what would exchange to be around £50. For a shared starter, mains, deserts, 4 glasses of wine and two extra bottles purchased to take home (yes we enjoyed them that much!), this is something I'd expect to be paying closer to £100 for.

This combined to give us an incredibly enjoyable evening, in a comfortable and relaxing environment which doesn't fail to provide a great dining experience. For me, this place deserves it's current #1 trip advisor ranking.

1 Thank Clarky87

• Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Budapest, Hungary
“Definitely worth a visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014

Arrived for dinner and had no reservations, so we had to wait 20-25 mins to get a table, we were offered an elderberry sparkling wine until then , which was a really nice gesture, and turned out to be a great aperitif.

The food was really nice,all from seasonal ingredients, and we never had to wait for too long.
Service and waiters were always available but never bothered us.

The only weak point of the restaurant as I found was the wine list, which I think could be extended, and the ones we ordered weren't too much to my liking -- and this is the only reason I give it 4/5, as to me wine is just as important as food when dining out.

After two courses we were way too full to get desserts, but still got tiny muffins on the house - these little things really make a difference.

• Visited November 2013
Palma de Mallorca, Spain
“AMAZING FOOD GREAT SERVICE”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2014

We were welcomed with friendly and warm smiles in this lovely, smallish bistro that has a lovely feel. We had booked for a Birthday party and they made it very special without even being asked. A complementary glass of sparkling on arrival, and candles on my desert. The food was excellent and the friendly professional service was outstanding but without making you feel overwatched or aukward. Very much recommended.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank BernatMolina
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“Definitely worth a visit!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

I recently visited Budapest with a friend and after looking at the reviews online thought we'd give Zeller Bistro a try and I must say I'm glad we did! I'd recommend booking if you can as while we turned up without a booking they do fill up quick! The staff spoke perfect English and we had a free glass of sweet sparkling wine when we arrived, the staff were incredibly helpful and friendly, the ambiance was very nice, the food was excellent and even the prices were good value!

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank trucallinglife
Budapest, Hungary
“Best service in Hungary - great food, too!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

Hungary's known for many amazing things - customer service isn't one of them. But Zeller Bistro -- a family owned and operated establishment -- might be the friendliest place I've ever eaten in Hungary. No, make that in Europe. The staff plied us with home made special champagne to begin with and then walked us through all the items on the menu that are grown or prepared at the family farm outside of Budapest. I eat gluten free, and the staff took it upon themselves to prepare me some wonderful offerings. The meat and vegetables were EXTREMELY fresh and the salmon risotto was delicious. I went back for a second time but there were no tables available (it's good to call ahead). The bartender offered us drinks and salads and then refused to take any money. This kind of treatment is unheard of in Hungary. Even though it's not in the exact center of the city and doesnt have the best views in the city, it's easy to understand why it's rated #1 in Budapest.

• Visited January 2014