“Awesome place/host/location/price”

Ranked #43 of 644 Specialty Lodging in Budapest
New Brunswick, New Jersey
“Awesome place/host/location/price”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

This place was amazing! I thought I was just booking a cheap hostel that looked nice online, but upon entering I was shocked at how nice it was. The 1 bedroom apt is super-spacious with super high ceilings w chandelier, grand piano in living room, French balcony overlooking the street, 2 separate bathroom sinks (1 for toilet, and 1 for shower). Hawaii, the host is amazing. She gives you a fantastic orientation upon arrival. She gives you a map and circles the closest ATM/groc store etc. and helps with honest restaurant and sightseeing recommendations. She even put a fresh half gallon of milk in the fridge in case I like milk in my coffee. Hawaii and the staff do a very good job organizing the night time activities and even made sure I knew how to get home when she would leave. Hawaii was more helpful/friendly than any host I have encountered and is better than a 5-star hotel's concierge. I participated in most of the night time activities but slept like a baby each night in this beautiful place, not being awoken by any extraneous noise. I often am traveling for 8 weeks a year and am often traveling solo to medical conferences. I have stayed at many 5 star hotels. I had a much more enjoyable stay renting the 1 br apt here, than I would have staying at a 5 star hotel.

The only negatives I could think of:
1. Ugly building façade from street
2. No drip coffeemaker (instant only)
3. Shower is handheld only (not fixed at higher height)

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank Ryan S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed May 28, 2014

We stayed in the apartment downstairs and it was amazing. Beautiful high ceilings, full kitchen for cooking, and great location. Hawaii was extremely helpful and overall it was one the best value for money places I've ever stayed in the world.

Only quibble was that the wifi didn't reach into the living room, but that's more a testament to how absurdly large the apartment was.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Mooloolaba, Australia
Reviewed May 24, 2014

Our stay at Penthouse Privates was more than what we expected!

Upon check in Hawaii sits you down in the living room and explains the ins/outs of the hostel, describes every different type of activity you can do in Budapest with prices and meeting points (the walking tours, caving, thermal baths etc), the daily nightlife options the hostels organise, even the best food in the area (for all budgets). We have never been sat down at a hostel like this - it was so personal and made a huge difference to our stay.

When we finally got to our room after a big chat we couldn't believe it - this spacious room with a big queen size bed (not double), with our own balcony with view of the city, a closet for our clothes, towels for the price we paid was unbelievable! We settled in and felt a little too at home.

The bathroom was just as big - we only shared with one other room which was vacant most of the time. Would love to see the shower head moved to a higher position rather than at waist height/hand held.

We used the kitchen for breakfast each morning, everything you needed was there.

There is a big chalkboard wall in the entry that gives you suggestions of things to do each day and whats going to be on that night (pub crawls, boat parties, beer olympics, dress up parties).

My favourite was the HUGE wall size map of the city and Hawaii has gone and marked out her favourite restaurants and bars with descriptions of each next to it. AMAZING.

The area is great, we walked to the walking tour meeting point, there was great food in the area - other than the rain it was a great stay.

I highly recommend staying at least thurs/fri/sat because that is when the best things happen, we left on a Sunday and couldn't take full advantage of the bar crawl due to an early flight and missed the boat party because of bad weather.

The hostel wasn't busy when we were there (at some points I think we were the only visitors) & when you go out the party hostels do stick in their cliques like any group, but in Summer I am sure the place will be pumping!

Thank you Hawaii for an amazing stay, you are everything a host should be & more

Room Tip: The room with balcony was nice, and I expect in Summer even nicer!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Sao Paulo
Reviewed May 19, 2014

Awesome hostel and stay for an unbeatable price!

We booked a double room with ensuite and we really enjoyed our stay.

• Location could not be better! Close to everything, with a lot of very good and affordable restaurants nearby. I personally recommend “Menza” for breakfast, lunch and dinner);
• The hostel had a very nice infrastructure (Nice and spacious communal area, kitchen, very good wi-fi…);
• Room was spacious and clean. Linen had very good quality; They also offered complimentary towels. (I just didn’t like that there was not actual curtain in the room, so at 5:30am, the room was already bright)
• Although the hostel is very calm and quiet, it’s part of a chain of hostels and they organized a lot of night events such as pub crawls. So you can decide if you want to party or just chill at the room.
• Anna and Hawaii were very nice, helpful and welcoming. Anna organized a very fun pub crawl during our short stay;

If you’re carrying a lot of luggage, be aware of the stairs. Thank God you only have to do it once, but it’s totally worth it!

Please note that the hostel doesn’t have a 24h reception, so you’ll have to schedule your check-in time thinking about that, which is totally manageable.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Priscilla_M_Anjos
Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

This is a great hostel if you want to enjoy Budapest both relaxing and partying.

It's perfectly located for restaurants and bars, clubs etc but it's not a real 'party hostel' so if you want to have a reasonable sleep and get out early to sight see or something you would be able to.

Hawaii is a bank of information and can recommend all sorts of places and things to do and is very welcoming too. She is also really accommodating too, we had a late flight and were able to store our bags there all day. We also needed towels for a spa which she provided offered us.

I really loved the hostel it's decorated very imaginatively and is comfortable and clean.

The single negative comment or suggestion for improvement would be to install black out blinds as we were woken every day at around 6am by the sunlight coming through the windows. Great of you are a morning person, however I am not!!!!!

Highly recommend anyone visiting Budapest on a budget who wants a clean chilled lovely place to stay to check this place out.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Malmo, Sweden
Reviewed April 26, 2014

Pretty much everything about Penthouse Privates is fantastic. Even the stairs, which so many people dread, are not that bad - quite shallow in gradient, and the view of the courtyard at the top is great.

Hawaii and the team are the nicest hosts we have stayed with. Enthusiastic, but non-instrusive. My girlfriend and I stayed in the apartment, which is separate from the rest of the hostel, so we were not exactly the most sociable. Our problem, though - we just wanted to see a lot in a limited few days and were not so fussed about the nights of drinking organised by the hostel. But this was met with no hostility at all. Hawaii made us feel welcome, wanted, appreciated, yet free to do as we please. It kind of was like using the home of a friend.

The apartment is beautiful. While we did not venture up to the top floor for the hostel much (the apartment is on the first floor, while the actual hostel is on the top floor) the hostel seemed nice - laid out like a huge attic penthouse, really, where everyone has their own room. Imagine a huge, modern, yet clean University shared accommodation and you are on the right track.

The apartment was great - huge, complete with bedding, towels, a guide to the city, a guide to the nights out available through the hostel (which is part of a larger party network), and even had a balcony. It also had a 97-key (no joke) Grand Piano, one which I happen to know is quite rare. As a pianist, this was a wonderful addition - sitting tinkling the keys while my girlfriend and I ate breakfast in front of our small balcony window thing.

All in all, a wonderful stay. And the location is perfect - only a few minutes away from a cool street of bars, a major bus stop, and places like the opera. The main city centre is only 15mins walk (at a fast-ish pace) and we walked to the Danube every day, in only about 25mins.

Only some very minor things irritated us, and I feel bad about complaining about them to be honest.

However, the apartment was a little cold. It did not seem like any of the radiators worked, actually. Perhaps they did in the daytime (when we were out), but the apartment became chilly in the evening - however when the ceiling is about five metres high, what can you realistically expect?

Also, while clean, perhaps some things could have been better dusted. There was only minor dusting that needed doing, and I am being very picky, but I feel it needs noting.

But, for money and the overall package, this place is excellent. Simply excellent.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
Washington D.C.
Reviewed April 14, 2014

Great hostel in a good location. Close enough walking distance to all the sites. Quiet hostel at night but has nightly party activites organized as well. Everything is clean, people were very respectful, and the host Hawaii did a great job of providing info and activities to do in the city. Would definitely stay here again if I come back to Budapest.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled solo