“No Place Better for Beef...and more!”

KNRDY American Steakhouse & Bar
Ranked #326 of 3,457 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: District V / Inner City
Description: New York style Steakhouse in the heart of Budapest, near the Basilica. Proudly serving USDA Prime Black Angus cuts dry aged on premises, BMS 9+ Wagyu beef from Australia, Hungarian Mangalica pork, Bahamian rock lobster tails, Scottish salmon, Joselito Gran Reserva ham, etc. Our wine list offers beside the most important Hungarian wines an extensive selection of the world's most important wine regions.
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Not knowing what to expect we were invited by friends to KNRDY with the saying "the best steak in Europe".
The first bonus I noticed upon entering; Air Conditioning, thank goodness becasue it was 36 outside. We ordered the mini burgers for a starter and I had a Rib Eye with Spinach for main course, my Wife had a Burger and salad, our friends had fillets.
After the waiter asked me if I was sure I wanted the Rib Eye medium well, and then me stating that since the Rib Eye is a fatty steak that it is fine cooked medium well, we got our food.
Really nice I must admit, we all enjoyed the food very much, as well as the bottle of Rose. The spinach was baked with cheese and really tasty.
We ordered the American Cheesecake for desert, unfortunately it was not traditional but still tasty nonetheless.
All in all a wonderful restaurant with knowledgeable staff willing to do whatever it takes to make you happy, one of the rare locations that go the extra mile, a true pleasure.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

If you need beef, this is the place to come. Or even if it's not beef you want, but you're looking for really good food, come on in. It looks trendy, but in a classy way, all silver and gray and black. More upscale than the beer & Hungarian food places which are of course everywhere. Service was attentive without being overly so; we were there in early evening and not many other diners were there, but we saw at least 3 Reserved tables, so I have a feeling this is more a spot for later dining. We each had a little cheesy puff starter that was melt-in-mouth good. We didn't want to spend big bucks on steaks (and that's what they cost, because this is NOT beef land, so beef is priced accordingly). We were more in the mood for something sandwich sized, so we had what at home would be called sliders. A plate with two "sliders", one with BBQ sauce, the other something more exotic which I can't even remember now! What I do remember is that they were both excellent, and we were well pleased. I also had some ginger ice cream which was a good finish, a nice light taste with just enough ginger to not be overpowering.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

One would think that a country famous for its meat processing industry and hunting would develop a sophisticated culinary culture for steaks. And you'd be wrong. Steakhouses in Hungary deny justice to the concept of "steak", often confused with "belszin" that is so bland that you'd refuse at a soup kitchen. KNRDY, however, is a game changer: bringing expertly aged and prepared steaks to the discerning few. I don't really eat steaks unless of the highest quality, partly for health reasons, partly for keeping the spirit of preserving that special taste in memory that I always want to go back to when craving beef. Yesterday I went to KNRDY and a smaller piece of beautifully displayed cut caught my eye. The owner, Zoltan Konrady, warned me that this lonesome piece of meat in the front chiller was part of their specially aged 90-day dry aged stock, "not for everyone's taste" he tactfully explained. I seek out dry aged beef, I love the aroma, taste, and I believe it brings out the full flavor of a good steak - provided the raw matrial is of worthy origin and both the aging process and the preparation are done by experts. To make a long story turgid, this was probably one of the best steaks I've ever had, on par with some of the legendary names who are renowned for this specialty. If you want to have a good steak (and wonderfully authentic side dishes), I strongly recommend you give KNRDY a shot. Cigar or cigarette smokers will also appreciate the outdoor seating area. If I were you, I would enquiry about the "90-day special", such treats are rare, like the Cullinan diamond...

Reviewed June 12, 2013

It can be quite difficult to find a good steak in Budapest. It has been the bane of my life for the past 20 years. The one location that used to serve a great steak has closed. So the other day I was invited to try KNRDY. The staff are very attentive and friendly. They serve their own brewed beer which was good. I started with the bone marrow with toast, not bad, my partner had the mini burgers which tasted great. For mains my other half had salmon (in a steak restaurant :) which was cooked well and I had the Argentine filet mignon which was OK. I was looking at the Porter House steak but realized that at over $100 that would be a little steep. KNRDY is not outstanding, it is decent eatery, but the price of the steaks are ridiculous. They should forget all the snobbery with importing steaks from the USA, Argentina etc and replace them with more Hungarian reared meat and adjust the prices accordingly. I am not poor by any means but that does not mean i like to pay way over the odds for what I eat!

Zoltan K, Owner at KNRDY American Steakhouse & Bar, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Dear Sir,

First of all thank you for visiting our restaurant.
I want to inform you that KNRDY is an American Steakhouse. Our main goal is having the best cuts from the U.S. and cooking them to perfection. We keep Argentinian meat as well, because it is known in Hungary and its lower price makes it available for a wider public. What you had was an Argentinian filet, 220g / 8oz at HUF 7900 = $ 32 which is cheap, even in Hungary.
When you looked at the Porterhouse, it was not just a Porterhouse, it was a USDA Prime corn fed Porterhouse from Kansas / USA. USDA Prime grade is only 2% of the total U.S. Beef market. Since only antibiotics free and hormone free beef can enter the EU, that percentage is even smaller. Also I have to add, that our Porterhouse cuts start at 1kg / 2,2 lbs. This cut is to be shared among three people at least. So if the cut is Euro 100, each paying Euro 33 for his share of a world class meat. Is that expensive? No Sir, it is not. You would pay the same in Munich, Vienna, London. Why would that be cheaper in Hungary, in downtown Budapest? Also have to let you know, that we have 27% VAT, which makes prices higher.
Importing USDA Prime beef for an American Steakhouse has nothing to do with snobbery, the aim is to serve the best to our clients. Hungary has no quality beef at all…

Best regards,

Zoltan Konrady
owner

Reviewed June 11, 2013

After days of trying every Hungarian dish available I was ready for a good old American steak and this is the place. USDA beef is available and so good. We shared a 1.3 kg rib eye done to perfection. A very nice salad with ranch dressing was fantastic and enough to feed two. Everything was excellent from the moment we walked in.