“Nice atmosphere, decent food”

VakVarju Restaurant
Ranked #275 of 3,965 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: Hungarian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Terezvaros
Description: Do you know what Vakvarjú is? If you have ever tried a finely crisped bread dough with a lacy brim directly served from the oven, you must have tasted "vakvarjú”, the original fried bread dough of Hungary . This is the name of the simple, but even more delicious traditional dish of Hungary, of which you could try many variations in our restaurant. If you prefer other specialties, you are also warmly welcomed. You can choose any of our delicacies from the menu. Would you like to taste homemade dishes? Our cooks are just preparing appetizing savories in the kitchen. Believe us, all are worth trying!
Reviewed December 13, 2017

I really like the warmth of the place and it feels quite cozy. The food I had (duck breast with pasta and cabbage) was quite nice. The little jelly beads on the side were pointless, but the pasta was lovely. The duck breast was not seasoned to my taste, but that is a personal preference. Overall the rest of the meal was nice.

Date of visit: February 2017
Write a reviewReviews (2,101)

Reviewed December 9, 2017 via mobile

I made a reservation and thank God I did cause the place was packed. We got a table upstairs which was nice and quiet. We took Hungarian soup, I also took a schnitzel and my husband mushroom pasta. My hubbie also took a floating island as dessert. The food was nice and abundant. The atmosphere was relaxing with a live piano in the background. The interior is very welcoming, I definitely recommend this restaurant!

Reviewed December 7, 2017

On our last day in Budapest, we were struggling with knowing where to have a final dinner. And then the light bulb turned on... ask your taxi driver. So we did. And we were very glad to have done so.

He not only told us about VakVarju, but he actually turned off the meter, went out of his way and drove us right by it so that we knew what it looked like. How cool was that?

The restaurant itself was splendid. Our goulash soup, a must at every meal it seems, was tasty and warming. And our mains... from fish, to chicken, to beef, all were nicely prepared and full of local flavor. The service was pretty great too. Our server was super friendly, circling back around multiple times to make sure we were well taken care of.

It was a great place for a final meal.

Date of visit: November 2017
1  Thank Newzdude
Reviewed December 6, 2017 via mobile

Try Red cheddar soup and Rose duck brest! My colleagues from around Europe liked it very much - just the speed of service could be improved!

Reviewed December 5, 2017 via mobile

I was visiting this restaurant some years ago and liked the atmosphere, food snd service. But trying to find it next time i failed. After 5 years my colleagues took me to this place and i was happy to see this is the one! Live piano music, wooden interiors, pretty large space and nice food. Can be recommended.

2  Thank AlexanderRu