“Amazing experience and a must do in Budapest.”

Caving Under Budapest
Small-Group Budapest Caving Adventure
Ranked #3 of 41 Nature & Parks in Budapest
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Hungary’s capital, Budapest, is famous for its hot springs all over the world. Many people visit Hungary’s famous thermal baths, but only a few know that the hot water rushing up from deep underground created something else too. In the limestone mountains, under Budapest, the heated water formed a huge cave system, which is thought to be more than 100 km long. The spas and caves of Budapest are planned to be declared part of the UNESCO World Heritage. The longest cave of Hungary is the more than 30 km (20 miles) long Pál-völgyi-cave system located in the Duna-Ipoly National Park. It is a real multi-level labyrinth system with most of its chambers under the residental districts of Budapest. If you aren’t claustrophobic you can apply for our regularly scheduled cave tours which are guided by qualified caving guides. During the 2.5-3 hrs long tours you will often have to climb on walls and crawl through narrow passages so you have to be prepared for adventure. You will be supplied with overalls, helmets, and lights. You don’t need to have any previous experience in caving.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Lockers / storage
Reviewed January 19, 2014

This was a really great experience. Extremely enjoyable and didn't think I would fit through some of those tiny gaps. Must do in Budapest.

All reviews
in 170 reviews
"diving"
in 185 reviews

Reviewed January 15, 2014

If you are ready a bit of crawlig, climing ( and not claustrofhobic!) allow yourself hiring a private guied and allow 2-3 hours. Will no regret. Guides are not awfully expensive and usually are very knowledgeable so what you get is more real cave experience. There is a little pond at the bottom of one of the cave branch, actually at the water level of the Danube, which worth the descend...and climbing back. Outfits are provided, only bring shoes that can get muddy and ditry. Few citiy offer such attraction with no travels, so why not trying something out of the beaten track. No special physical condition is needed, just some endurance.

Reviewed December 23, 2013

I'm not a very adventures person when it comes to physical things, but I really enjoyed this! it's hard work and testing but feels really rewarding at the end. If you're sore the next day you did it right!

2  Thank bretthobbs
Reviewed December 6, 2013

I loved this caving experience but it scared the life out of me!
I went with my 21 year old son and decided we would do this together. Now I am a 48 year old bloke who likes a pint and has a bit of a belly. I weigh 17 stone and the guide assured me that I should have no trouble navigating the caves, but the spaces were TIGHT! I got stuck on one of the very fist holes ( Where you have to assume the "Superman" position for your reference) There is no way this would be allowed back in the UK. By the time Health & Safety have done a risk assessment they would shut the place down. You crawl through a tiny little hole on your belly into a cavern then you crawl through an even smaller hole into the next cavern. This goes on for 2 hours! I am not claustrophobic but boy was I was glad I was out of there in the end. I kept thinking "if I get trapped how will they get me out?" as you are half a mile underground! My son coped well but there again he is only 21 but even he said there was one bit he got stuck and panicked a bit so it was not just me! In the end I was out of breath and dripping in sweat. The caverns themselves are nothing special, just muddy brown rocks and although the guide Lottie pointed out various formations and fossils throughout there is not loads to see, but it was the apprehension of the next gap that I had to squeeze through that spurred me on! So glad I did it but never again! There is a real sense of achievement when I had done it.

3  Thank RoyalNight