“rewarding experiance” 5 of 5 bubbles

Small-Group Budapest Caving Tour
Ranked #2 of 32 Nature & Parks in Budapest
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Hungary’s capital, Budapest, is famous for its hot springs all over the world. Many people visit Hungary’s famous thermal baths, but only a few know that the hot water rushing up from deep underground created something else too. In the limestone mountains, under Budapest, the heated water formed a huge cave system, which is thought to be more than 100 km long. The spas and caves of Budapest are planned to be declared part of the UNESCO World Heritage. The longest cave of Hungary is the more than 30 km (20 miles) long Pál-völgyi-cave system located in the Duna-Ipoly National Park. It is a real multi-level labyrinth system with most of its chambers under the residental districts of Budapest. If you aren’t claustrophobic you can apply for our regularly scheduled cave tours which are guided by qualified caving guides. During the 2.5-3 hrs long tours you will often have to climb on walls and crawl through narrow passages so you have to be prepared for adventure. You will be supplied with overalls, helmets, and lights. You don’t need to have any previous experience in caving.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Lockers / storage
israel
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“rewarding experiance”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2013

rewarding speachless experiance one must do!!!!! you have to sighn uo throw the web / very difficlt but enjoyable/

• Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
Atlanta, Georgia
129 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 221 helpful votes
“Unique Experince”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

I was a tad apprehensive about taking on this activity but after reading the reviews decided to give it a go. I communicated with the organizers via email and they were very responsive and answered all my questions. I followed the instructions for the meeting point and the guide was on time. Once you arrive at the site (45 minute bus ride) you are given the coveralls and some instruction and then you are walked to the cave entrance and away you go. Inside the cave it is pitch dark (you will have a small light on your helmet), initially I felt uncomfortable but after about five minutes I was fine. I am of average sized(height and weight)and in excellent shape so if you are a large person or you are not in some kind of decent shape this will be an extremely challenging experience. You will walk, crawl, climb, and squeeze into a variety of holes and crevasses while following the guide. I loved this excursion, excellent guide who gave good instructions, you are in the caves for about 2hrs, another bucket list checked off.

Pune, Maharashtra, India
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Absolutely loved it !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2013

I'm glad I did this .... It was super fun and exciting . Our guide was really helpful and funny . We had to catch a train back to Vienna and these guys did everything they could to help us reach the station in time :)

Guildford, United Kingdom
“Was apprehensive at first, but so glad I did it”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

Weeks before I arrived at Budapest I knew I was going to give it a try, but I became quite nervous as the day approached. I'm a little claustrophobic, scared of heights, and not in the greatest shape (5'8" female 140 pounds). I've ALSO been caving before with a group from the university I attended, and needless to say I was NOT prepared for the traumatic experience I had that time.

Why do it again? I like the mental challenge (and for me, this was far more a mental challenge than a physical one.) Call me crazy, but in the end I have absolutely no regrets for this Budapest caving experience. So let me run through the important facts:

1. Everyone is right- it took hours from the moment we met at the bus stop to actually getting our coveralls on for the cave. While it was incredibly annoying, I forgot all about it once the experience was over.

2. As soon as you walk into the cave you climb down a metal ladder. For me, that was the scariest part because that was the official descent into the unknown. There was no turning back...well, one guy did turn back after walking through the first tunnel (which wasn't that small so good thing he did!)

3. The holes get smaller and smaller. But it also get's less and less scary...you aren't crawling through them for long periods of time AND you're getting used to the idea that your body can fit into tinier spaces than you ever thought. Plus, it really helped that the guide was cracking jokes and making you feel safe and comfortable throughout the whole journey. The guide definitely made the journey 100x better than it would have been with a crappy guide (like I had during my first experience.)

4. The first half of the journey is climbing down into the cave...so naturally you have to climb back up! This was actually scarier for me than the crawling because a) the rocks are slippery and b) I have fear of heights. Nevertheless I managed it, and it really wasn't that bad. Just make sure your shoes have good grip (mine didn't), and if you're truly scared, crawl on your hands and knees....you'll be bruised later but that's no big deal.

5. Even if it's 11 degrees down there, it feels HOT from all the climbing and crawling. So wear shorts and a t-shirt that you don't mind sweating profusely in.

6. Make sure you don't have to pee- get it all out while you're waiting to start and really try not to drink any liquids before you go in! Even though you'll be doing a lot of physical activity, you can live without water for a few hours.

7. You might be scared, but guess what- most of the people on that tour had no clue what they were getting into either. Everyone was equally as nervous but all came out loving it!

If you think you can manage to control your fears and you're looking for a little bit of a thrill...JUST DO IT. I promise you won't regret it! If you have severe claustrophobia though, then obviously skip this!

Visited August 2013
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 61 helpful votes
“Slow to start, but a unique experience”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

Good:
Caving is fun and good exercise
Unique way to see the Buda side and then explore natural caves
Bad
The tour asked us to meet at a bus stop at 1:45. By 3pm we didn't even have our caving coveralls on. The organization could be much better. Also, make sure that you know how to get back home as after the tour you are left on your own at the site.
Also, although the cave is 10o, it is very warm in the coveralls and tight spaces and there is physical work in wiggling through small holes. Dress lightly and with supportive shoes that can get dirty

1 Thank Globedoc