“Lovely wee restaurant - highly recommended!”
Review of Hungarikum Bisztro

Hungarikum Bisztro
Ranked #18 of 3,278 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: Hungarian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: District V / Inner City
Description: Traditional Hungarian Restaurant serving old fashioned Hungarian dishes following family's recipes.Open every day:11:30AM-3:00PM (LAST RESERVATION AT 2:00 PM!)6:00PM-11:00PM (LAST RESERVATION AT 10:00 PM!) Between 3:00PM-6:00PM is CLOSED! RESERVATION IS REQUIRED!
Reviewed April 25, 2013

The restaurant itself is set on a back street and has lovely flower baskets and a canopy, giving it a truly quaint feel. The decor inside is newer than the outside belies, but all is very tasteful and in "Hungarian style". Lovely.
The food and service were both fantastic. We had traditional Hungarian food (goulash and chicken broth to start; duck and lamb as a main) and everything was delicious. The dessert also hit the spot.
The service in particular was great - everyone was keen to help with recommendations and really looked after us.
Would definitely recommend to anyone looking for a lovely evening meal in Budapest.

1  Thank yumyum22
Susan H, Proprietario at Hungarikum Bisztro, responded to this reviewResponded April 26, 2013

Hi There,

I just would like to say Thank You!

There are newer reviews for Hungarikum Bisztro

Reviewed April 23, 2013

Well like many went here based on previous reviews and we were not disappointed. Had booked in advance via their web site and given chocie of table, we chose the corner which is near the musician which was bit wary of but he doesnt play more than 20 minutes a go and then takes a break so was fine.

We shared the Taste of Hungarian food and thought a decent starter, was some strange stuff in the middle that didnt really like but that is part of trying different bits. Mains were the Pork Tenderloin and Beef stew which were both fine and wife had the apple pie dessert which she enjoyed as much lighter than had expected. Excellent bottle of Hungarian wine and service was good throughout. Did get offerred the Hungarian drink at the end, great if you have a sore throat, will strip away anything! Again was fun to try. Well worth a visit and thought good value about £40 inclusive of service which is included in bill, was in all the restaurants we went in but not a problem for us and was pointed out by owner when we got the bill so no surprises.

2  Thank Matty07uk

Dear All,

Thank you for the beautiful words! When you are happy we ar as well, so let me thank you once again!!!!

Reviewed April 22, 2013

I was convinced to come here based on the overwhelmingly positive reviews on TripAdvisor, but am sad to say that the experience we had was distinctly under average.

The restaurant was busy when we walked in, which we took for a good sign, and were promptly seated at a table in the corner. We were directly next to a musician playing traditional music - it was a nice touch for about half an hour, after which it was somewhat tiresome. The service was prompt and friendly (more on this later).

As a starter, we tried the Taste of Hungary. If this was your only experience of Hungary, you would have to assume that Hungary tastes like cheap pork products. Admittedly, it was nicely presented, but the Paté tasted very cheap compared to others I have tried on this trip. Two interesting and rather nice cheeses are involved, but so are some fairly so-so salamis and an underwhelming ball of cottage cheese. During the first course, we were asked how it was and what we liked about it. It was a tough question. Further questioning came upon completion of the course. Weird.

For the main, we thought the Pork Knuckle for two sounded good. It certainly looked good, although the fact that someone running a restaurant will serve hot meat in a cold tray is somewhat worrying. The crackling was amazing, but the side dishes were so plain that I felt sorry for whoever was in the kitchen as it seemed very uninspired. The pork itself was great for the first few bites, but it just left you wanting something to break up the taste, like a simple sauce. Help could not be found in any of the pickles or potatoes, which simply tasted like beige looks. The waitress asked us questions about the pickles during our course. Once again, very odd. The serving of pork is very generous and could easily feed three or four. We left a lot of it, not because we were full, but because everything literally tasted the same. As someone who enjoys eating out, it was a very sad experience for me to stop eating something because there was literally no enjoyment in it anymore. There was just no point.

Apple pie with cinnamon and vanilla sauce. I think my words at the time was "how wrong can they get it?". Here is how wrong: it was all served cold, it was a cake and not a pie, the cake had approximately zero sugar in it, which I think technically would make it a bread, the sauce didn't taste of vanilla, the sauce didn't taste of anything, the filling was nice but there wasn't enough of it. I estimate that the layer of apple and cinnamon made up about 5-15% of the whole thing. It was one of the worst-presented dishes I have seen in a LONG time of eating out. It looked like the cake/bread and the sauce were each given a map and told to make their own way to the plate. I wanted apple pie with cinnamon and vanilla sauce, I got brown bread with apple and cinnamon garnish and beige cornflour water. We each took one bite and left it. No wait, I took two because I couldn't believe how bad it was. The manager (I assume) was rather taken aback and, to his credit, was very very apologetic. He offered us more desserts, which we declined, and asked what we didn't like. We cited the lack of sugar, coldness, the blandness and the flavourless sauce as contributing factors and asked for the bill.

He had taken the desserts off the bill, which I hadn't asked him to do, so I appreciated that. He offered us "traditional hungarian liquor", which we declined, to which he replied "no, but I want to give it to you". Feeling somewhat pressured and more than a little weirded out, we more or less said "okay, do what you want". He brought us two shot glasses of rocket fuel. I understand that he was trying to make everything better, but it really just made it worse. Before, I couldn't taste anything. Now I couldn't taste anything if I wanted to. Upon finishing the shots, he brought us a pancake dessert and a chocolate cake. We had already said no. Stop bringing us cake. Again, I know he is trying to make things better, but the damage has been done. It was palpably awkward and we actually felt harassed during every course. We literally ran out of there.

I notice that every negative review of this place gets a reply, and they seem to have an answer for everything. I'm sure it was all my fault, Susan, and I'm sorry.

4  Thank Josh C

Dear Josh,

First of all let me thank you for your comment. How come you were so disappointed???? Maybe you do not know Hungarian food at all and saying all these things about it it's not right I guess. You are complaining of dishes that all the other clients just die for. And excuse me but I think you should appreciate if some one of the staff is trying to be nice offering you some cake not because there was anything wrong with us!!!!!

Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Great authentic Hungarian food at very reasonable prices.

Food:
- starters: chicken crepe and sausage/sauerkraut dumplings (which tasted like the German schupfnudeln, both really good
- goulash soup: not the usual thick stew like soup in Germany, also very good
- cabbage salad: not so good, just pickled cabbage
- mains: pork with paprika sauce, beef stew, both yummy!

Service: adequate

Atmosphere: had a live stringed percussion instrument which we initially thought was a piano, was cool

Overall great if you're in the area (we did go out of our way to find it however) would recommend

Thank you so much!

Reviewed April 12, 2013 via mobile

Excelent hungarian food! Great service! We ordered a tenderloin and a stuffed cabbage. Very traditional. It was amazing! In aditional, the owner of the restaurant gave us some tips from the city. You must come!!

2  Thank Paula A