“best hostel ever”

wombat's CITY HOSTEL Budapest
Ranked #14 of 673 Specialty Lodging in Budapest
Reviewed January 14, 2013

amazing hostel, super modern and very clean. complimentary towels and a welcome drink in Wombar. Very helpful staff who gave us lots of advice and recommendations for places to visit, eat and party. We stayed in a 4 bed room with en suit, and it was very spacious and clean. Our bathroom was cleaned while we were out for the day and the breakfast was decent enough and pretty good value. Own thermostats in our rooms meaning we were always a good temperature despite the snow outside. Very good location right by all the public transport and felt safe coming back at night even though we were three young women. Lockers in your room were very big, I could fit my whole suitcase and still had room to hang a few clothes in there. Cannot recommend it enough, well done wombats!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 10, 2013 via mobile

Unfortunately, this was my first ever hostel experience. I say unfortunately because it has totally spoilt me for other hostels, nothing yet compares! Rooms were spacious and clean, beds were the best I have had in a hostel so far. Free decent sized lockers in the rooms, clean and spacious bathroom. Good atmosphere in the bar downstairs and great priced cocktails! Location is great, as a single girl I felt totally comfortable walking around and I could walk to all the sights from the hostel. Free wifi, ONLY tiny downside to this hostel is that it didn't work in the rooms. But seriously this place is wicked, I'd stay there even if there was no wifi at all!

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Honestly one of the best hostels- great location, helpful staff, clean rooms/bathrooms and modern looking lobby/bar/dining area and all for about 10-15 euro a night. We stayed in a 4 bed dorm with a private bathroom, and couldn't have asked for anything more. Breakfast was great (1000 Hungarian forints), free welcome drink and cheap bar made for a great stay.

The only negative was the rooms had quite poor ventilation (or our shoes were really smelly...) and we often had to open the window to ventilate the room, which obviously led to us being really cold. Also walls were quite thin and friends complained of being woken up many times at night by other guests coming home.

Will be returning if I visited Budapest again.

Reviewed January 8, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed here for new years. It was a really nice hostel with a great atmosphere in a good location. However the biggest problem was that you could hear absolutely everything that was going on in the hall ways. Every door that was closed banged so loudly and could be heard louder being in the room than out. Due do this we had about 3-5 hours sleep each night. We wouldn't go back because of this.

1  Thank Judyyeh
Reviewed January 5, 2013

I have stayed in many hostels across the world and have to say that Wombats is probably top of the list. The location is excellent with only a short walk to the metro and a number of the main attractions in the city, the staff are very friendly and helpful and can offer advice on what to see and do when in the city. The room we stayed in was a 6 bed dorm with shared bathroom, the room was very spacious, could even have fitted another bunkbed in their and the bathroom was very clean, we were even asked by one of the cleaning supervisors if we were happy with the cleanliness of the room - something that has never happend to me before in a hostel. The breakfast offered at the hostel is also very good value for money and is worth a look and the bar has a good atmosphere in the evening with good drink offers. Would highly recommend this hostel to anyone looking to visit Budapest!!

Reviewed January 4, 2013

Fantastic location near the metro, in the Jewish quarter right beside all the best restaurants with great prices. Short walk to many main attractions (Eg. The Synagogue, St Stephen's, The Danube embankment). Staff are so friendly and accommodating, helped us plan what we were doing each day, gave good directions. Particularly helpful when I left my phone at the front desk when I left for the airport!! I rang them and they arranged for it to be couriered to the terminal before my flight boarded. I was very grateful for that.The rooms are modern, Bathrooms are modern with good showers (ours could have been cleaned more thoroughly.. not to say that it was very dirty though)

Reviewed December 20, 2012 via mobile

Very nice and modern hostel. The only thing that make you realiza that you are in a backpackers is that you share rooms. Nice bar and recreational spots. Very good service and location, very clean. Honestly since now the best hostel i've ever stay in europe.