“'The Past Must Be Acknowledged.'- A. Jozsef”

House of Terror Museum
$29.64*
Budapest 3-hour City Tour
Ranked #32 of 467 things to do in Budapest
More attraction details
Owner description: A museum devoted to various historical terror regimes and practices.
Vancouver, Canada
133 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 166 helpful votes
“'The Past Must Be Acknowledged.'- A. Jozsef”
Reviewed June 10, 2014

For a history buff like myself, who must get to know the people, I thoroughly recommend this exhibit. I am always surprised by what man can do to one another. It is museums like this that will hopefully prevent it from happening again. I appreciate the many student groups we saw at this exhibit, however, they do tend to crowd out the place...keep your cool, it is all good. Seasoned travellers expect these things in an ex-communism country,right?
The tour is laid out like an Ikea store, one direction for all travel. I used Rick Steve's book as a guide, (awesome BTW) which is better than the audio guide. Don't waste you time with this...too confusing and wordy. However, you will need something as very little English is there, so be prepared.
The place is air-conditioned and has plenty of places to rest your feet as you absorb the many interesting and shocking facts during this double occupation. We spent 3 hours there and meant to spend 2! So watch your time...it will slip away.
Don't miss the basement, despite the long wait for the elevator. Even if you take the stairs down, the cellar presentation really hits home.
Well done Budapest! I am sorry you suffered, but I am glad you speak about it today to all of us.
Hint: if you carry a large backpack, you will have to store it in the cafe. I would travel lighter to this place. Oh, and no photos. Coffee here is awful...skip it. Better cafés down the street.

• Arabic first
70 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 163 helpful votes
“Sobering and moving!”
Reviewed June 10, 2014

Set over four floors, it would be possible to spend hours learning of the terror and brutality suffered by the Hungarian people at the hands of both the Nazi's and communists. This exhibition is thought provoking, emotional and at the same time uplifting as a testament to the wonderful people of Hungary who have overcome so much.

2 Thank Lisa W
Peterborough, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Not your run of the mill attraction , but quite shocking”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

A reflection of the horrors of war and retribution against our fellow mankind quite shocking how brutal we can be. It shows the brutality of World War 2 and the Soviet era.

Do not expect to see anything brushed over some exhibits are meant to shock and thought provoke you definitely need the audio guide to understand what is going on.

The Basement trip in the lift is done to great effect ,this is not an ordinary lift but an exhibit in its own right .The shocking facts that sibling reported sibling, sons reported fathers and had them imprisoned leaves a lasting memory, It makes you think what is happening in the world today

2 Thank EDDIEPeterborough
Morecambe
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Thought provoking insight into communism”
Reviewed June 7, 2014 via mobile

We spent two very thought provoking hours in the House of Terror, it starts during the Nazi occupation until the Russian withdrawal in 1991. It was truly shocking and made me thankful I am British. The suffering inflicted on the people first by the far right and then by the far left was horrendous and a warning to everyone. Should be taught in Schools everywhere !!

Visited May 2014
Lee, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Lauable but poorly executed”
Reviewed June 7, 2014

I don't really want to give the museum a 3 star rating given its subject matter and what it is attempting to achieve; however, there were a few negatives which impacted on my ability to digest the information/exhibitions:

1) The staff are not particularly helpful or good at explaining what is on offer (for example, I bought what I thought was a normal guide, only to find out it was an audio guide. This wasn't ideal as I was viewing the museum with my husband, who didn't purchase a guide, and that meant I had to keep ignoring him!).

2) The Museum isn't well laid out, or rather there are no clear signs to tell you where to go. We started viewing the museum the wrong way wrong, and it was only through listening to the audio guide that I worked out we needed to turn around and start viewing the museum from the top floor. I hope that was the right place to start - it is very possible that we missed a big chunk!

3) There are very few signs in English. This means that there is no context to a lot of the exhibits and it is difficult to know what you are looking at.

4) Some of the English handouts don't relate to the room you are viewing.

5) The videos of people talking about their experiences are really good but, as they are on a loop, if you start viewing them half way through you don't really understand the context. The lack of exhibits with English explanations or relevant handouts contribute to the confusion/lack of impact.

The museum has lots of really good parts (the elevator and basements being highlights - if you can call them that) but, for an English visitor, a lot of the exhibits are inaccessible due to the language barrier. That confusion then detracts from the overall impression the museum is trying to achieve. I hope that this will be rectified as it is an important story to be told.

2 Thank Polly C