“Aesthetically pleasing and atmospheric... That's about all.”

House of Terror Museum
$30.46*
Budapest 3-hour City Tour
Ranked #35 of 475 things to do in Budapest
More attraction details
Owner description: A museum devoted to various historical terror regimes and practices.
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I somewhat admire the people who designed the museum... Aesthetically, the museum and its displays are very pleasing, being modern and arriving easily at creating an air of tension, of shock or of discomfort. The issue is that it is lacking the fluidity and ease of learning that such a highly esteemed museum needs. It feels like it was created by a group of interior designers rather than historians and curators. There are impressively decorated rooms with what seems like heavy symbolism that completely lack explanation, and others provide A4 sheets (in only English or Hungarian) covered in very dense 12-point-font information that is, honestly, tiring after the first few rooms.

I found this museum very hard to enjoy. It was only ~8€, so it wasn't exactly a waste of time or money, but I was definitely expecting more.

There are newer reviews for House of Terror Museum

Reviewed November 8, 2012

As one of the 250,000 Hungarians who fled in 1956-1957 it was an emotional experience to come face to face with the full extent of the atrocities that were commented at the hands of both the Russians and the Hungarian people. It is hard to imagine, in fact I thought it was all imagination when I used to hear my parents and their friends talk about people who had returned to Hungary in the 60's and 70's and were never heard of again. Impossible I used to think.

Visiting the House of Terror changed all my views of how truly awful it was. I was not quite three years old when my mother, recently divorced, made her escape to Austria. The House of Terror explains to me why she had the courage to do such a thing. Leave her family, her support network, the land of her birth and run to a country where she could not even speak the language.

I would not have gone had it not been for my two school friends insisting that they wanted to learn about my history, I am glad that they persuaded me.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Informative and very poignant and helped us to understand what an ordeal the people of Budapest have been through.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Atmospheric, horrifying in places, sobering. But in places bewildering leaving non-Hungarian speakers utterly confused with what they are looking for. This could be improved with very little effort.

Some of the rooms have handouts explaining things in Hungarian and English, but what about French and German speakers?

It's still worth the money (2000HUF, with discounts for over 62 years of age).

1  Thank TimCullis
Reviewed November 6, 2012

A mist stop for anyone visiting Budapest. Even if you started with substantially more knowledge of the history of Hungary that we had (not difficult), the exhibits and information provided (in English) of the horrors of the Nazi and Communist control was fascinating.
Although a bit depressing initially, the strength of the human spirit shows through.