“History lesson everyone should experience”

House of Terror Museum
$290.00*
Budapest Communist Private Walking Tour with Historian Guide
Ranked #38 of 486 things to do in Budapest
More attraction details
Owner description: A museum devoted to various historical terror regimes and practices.
Reviewed September 29, 2012

This museum is an eye opening experience from start to finish. The cost is minimal and it is easy to spend several hours if you are interested in history. Some of the videos were very graphic, and listening to the interviews of people who lived through this time brought a tear to the eye. The displays are well done and informative, the basement interrogation rooms have such a feeling of hopelessness, it is really a very moving and emotional experience. I am very glad I went. I was behind a tour group of students, and it can get crowded, so allow ample time to see everything.

Write a ReviewReviews (8,104)

Reviewed September 29, 2012

This is a very high quality interactive museum that deals with a very difficult subject. I found it particularly sobering near the end of the tour standing inside a little closet where 'class enemies' were locked up for long stretches between interrogations. Very troubling but highly recommended.

Reviewed September 29, 2012

I would say don't leave Budapest without visiting the House of Terror. It really added to our understanding of Hungary's history.
It is stylised (more than the Stasi building in Leipzig, for example, which seems more authentic), but having said that it doesn't sensationalise the history.
It's worth spending the time to read the leaflets in each room - I'd recommend an hour and a half at least in total.
A very sad and moving place, but really glad I went.

Reviewed September 28, 2012

I came in reluctantly expecting a terror museum like the torture museums in other Eastern European countries and I am glad I didn't find that at all for all of those have been small and disapponting. This is a history museum about one occupation followed by another. Well presented with english papers explaining each room. Not all videos had subtitles but a lot of them did which was enough IMO, the basement was a real prison and you can see it as well.

Reviewed September 27, 2012 via mobile

I don't know a lot about the eastern european history so at times I found the content very confusing. But I must say the museum is very well planned and the visual impact is awesome. I particularly liked the part while you go down to the basement prison cells in a lift.... A bit scary
Extra 1500 Fl for the audio guide, which I think it's worthwhile because you can understand better what's the display about. If you don't want to pay extra, each room has A4 print out of the same content of the audio guide, but there would be a lot of reading.

I would highly recommend this museum.
Spend at least 1.5 hours to take it all in.

But afterwards, you might need a drink.

1  Thank bilbilbo