“Nice place if you'd want to be downtown”

Hotel Zenit Budapest Palace
Ranked #29 of 332 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed June 26, 2013

It is a nice place to sleep right in the busy downtown core. Rooms are clean, simple and cozy. You have to pay for breakfast which did not impressed me much but was OK. Just go ahead and ask cooks to make you fresh omelets or eggs, otherwise you'll have to eat eggs cooked to a stage of blue sulfide smelly chocking substance. Service is a bit slow, but hey, it is a good old Europe anyway. I'd recommend staying here for sure.

1  Thank NVG13
PETER S, Manager at Hotel Zenit Budapest Palace, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Dear guest:

I realy apreciate your possitive comment.

It is a pleasure to know that you were satisfied. I take in account your considerations in order to improve our service.

If sometime you come back to Budapest it will be a pleasure to show our progresses

Best regards

There are newer reviews for Hotel Zenit Budapest Palace

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Location is excellent. Rooms are modern and comfortable. Service and maintenance are average, with some minor problems that didn't spoiled our 4 days stay, but could easily be avoided (like a broken lampshade and a broken toilet paper holder in the room, or a promise of a kettle in the room that never became true). Service was also much dependent on to whom we talked: some reception attendants were very kind and helpful, some others not that much. Aircon was effective, but you should manage to cope with its wayward controller. Sound insulation isn't equally one of its best assets, despite the old style double glazed windows. It's hard to avoid listening to either bathroom fan or tv from neighbor rooms, but, again, not bad enough to disrupt our night sleeping. Views from the window aren't attractive, despite the proximity to Danube River; but hotel's "back street" location helps, anyhow, to keep street noise off. Housekeeping is efficient, assuring a daily cleaned and freshened room. Rates aren't cheap: we got a pre-payed, non refundable, internet rate of approximately 100 EUR per night, without breakfast (which was 12 EUR extra per person per day).

1  Thank uprightM

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your comment and for your effort writing it.

I am really worried about the things that you mentioned. Our intention is to work hard to solve all possible problems in our property. When something is broken we try to replace it inmediately, if it was not the case, I would need to know it in order to take the necessary steps.

Our kettles are available upon request, because we do not have them included in the standard rooms. When the guests require, we are pleased to deliver them upon availability. Regarding the sound isolation, we were solving different problems in some rooms from the opening one year ago. Due to the importance of this issue, the improvements are still under pocess. It will be a great help for me to know your room number, to detect the problem.

I would appreciate you helping us to improve with a response at your earliest convenience, to

managerbudapest@zenithotels.com

Overall, thank you for your stay and I am happy knowing that you found our rooms comfortable, with good air condition system. I will congratulate the Housekeeping department in your name.

With my best wishes.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Great location in Budapest, short walk over a bridge to another side of Donau, Buda. Friendly service. Working wi-fi in the rooms. Air condition works very well. There were +35 degrees (Celcius) outside and room was cool and cosy.

Room Tip: 109 is a room which isn't under direct sunlight; not in the morning, not in the evening.

Dear guest:

I am deeply grateful for your possitive comment.

I hope that you had a good time in Budapest.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

I stayed at the hotel for a few days to attend a conference, and overall it is very good: the rooms are very generously large, clean and the beds comfortable. They have air conditioning, and the AC system is modern and quiet. Location is pretty much right at the center, maybe one block away. There is a small super-market two doors further west, which I recommend visiting, as the products there are much cheaper than what you will be charged if you get tempted by the minibar.

I liked the lobby in particular, since it's spacious (so it never felt crowded), and two soft sofas (covered with pillows) in the middle make waiting for someone very relaxing. The staff speaks English well, was friendly and helpful, the room service unobtrusive (they never knocked, skipped my room in the morning when I was still there, yet somehow when I returned in the afternoon it was done).

Note that there is a 4% city tax that you need to pay when you leave. This seems to be common to all hotels, however. The breakfast service said that I wasn't on the "breakfast included list" the second day, wanting to bill 3000 CHF (~10 EUR) on my room. I found it odd, because I thought I had booked breakfast for my entire stay, and not just the first day, but then again they didn't bill me after all, so maybe they realized it. In any case, the breakfast buffet is good, and it's all-you-can-eat, so the price isn't a bad deal at all. I'd book it again.

My room only had a shower, whereas the room from my colleague had a bathtub. No huge issue, but something you might be aware of, if you'd like one.

When reserving over their website, they also asked me when my flight would arrive, and then sent me a voucher for the airport shuttle. I didn't use it, but it's a nice gesture. The hotel is five minutes away from a metro station connecting the two metro lines - so you can travel around for as little as 300 HUF (about 1 EUR at the time of this writing). That's much cheaper than taxis, and no slower.

So overall, location is great, rooms are nice, staff is friendly. What I disliked is their poor internet access. You get free WiFi, but it has a packet drop rate of ~14% and frequent latency spikes of 2-3 seconds. You will be able to do basic web-browsing, so no worries about that. However, if you need to do anything beyond that, such as doing a voice call with Skype, or a VPN connection to your work location, it will be a pain. Past midnight it clears up, but that's when you want to sleep.

It's a pity, because with some optimizations (rate-limiting equipment so a single guest with BitTorrent can't overload the connection, wired connections - they do have Cat5 outlets in the rooms already) it could work well for everyone. The way it's now, it's a gamble - it might work well, but if you get unlucky and another guest is sharing/downloading their movies with BitTorrent, it will not.

Room Tip: If you want a bathtub, say so. Not all room have one.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank clover292

Dear guest:

Thank you very much for your comment. I realy appreciate the detailed feedback given and the time that you spent to write it.

It´s realy nice to know that you have a pleasant stay and you profit from our building, facilities and service, I will congratulate all departments for their work, we always give our best to satisfy our guests.

I am sorry for the missunderstanding with the breakfast, in this case when we have an error, the first thing we do is recognize it.

Regarding the internet connection I definitely want to understand what happened, the connection should be enough to keep a conversation in Skype as example. I would like to ask for your kind help sending me an email with your room number and stay dates, to be able to check what could be the problem and give a solution if is necesary. Sometimes some of our routers need to be replaced.

managerbudapest@zenithotels.com

Finaly, I would like to repeat again that I am very grateful for your stay and comment.

If sometime you come back to Budapest, it will be a pleasure to welcome you again.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

For the price this was a really nice hotel in great location in Budapest. if you're just staying for a couple of days and need somewhere central to base yourself with all the usual amenities this place is perfect. Really nice meat/cheese/wine restaurant underneath the restaurant as well (Divin Porcello).

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you very much for your comment and nice feedback. I truly appreciate that you recommend our hotel.

I hope that you enjoyed the beautiful Budapest with us.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

This was a very good hotel. The receptionists were very friendly. They suggested things to do and see. The rooms are quite small but very decent. Modern en fresh. The rooms were very clean. You get a new bar of soap everyday and the hand creams are of good value, not that typical hotel creams. What was a bit uncomfortable was the bathroom blind. If you shower with the light on other guest will definitely be able to see you from their rooms. Breakfast was okay. But overall, I would suggest this hotel. very fair price as-well.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
PETER S, Manager at Hotel Zenit Budapest Palace, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Dear guest:

Thank you very much for your kind commment, your feedback is truly appreciated.

It is realy good to know that you had a pleasant stay with us. Regarding the bathroom blind, It is specially designed to let you see out but not to be seen. Anyway I hope that this impression was not damaging your experience.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you again if sometime you come back.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

We stayed here twice during or trip to Europe. The rooms are pretty spacious when you consider the size and amenities in most European hotels. We had a second floor courtyard room on the first stay, 18 foot ceilings, very comfortable beds clean and spacious bathroom. The second stay was on the top floor and the layout was a bit strange but still a great size, clean and comfortable. The staff at this hotel is incredibly friendly and helpful. They really want you to enjoy your stay and will do anything they can to help. We left an iPad in the room the first stay and they tracked us own to return it to us. When we returned after the trip to Vienna they remembered us by name and reminded us to hang on to our iPads. :)
My partner was in Hungary on business so we started our trip there. I wasn't sure since I knew very little about BUD but it's an incredible city. I wish we had more time to spend but will plan on returning. A truly beautiful city!

Room Tip: Ask for courtyard they are quiet and street view rooms have no view since there are buildings on all...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
PETER S, Manager at Hotel Zenit Budapest Palace, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2013

Dear guest:

Thank you very much for your kind words.

I am going to congratulate our staff in your name. I am realy happy to know that you had a pleasant stay in our hotel and also that you liked the beautiful Budapest.

If sometime you come back to the city, it will be a pleasure to welcome you again.

With my best regards.