“A shame that the service let the food down”
Review of Osteria Undici

Osteria Undici
Ranked #1,670 of 3,160 Restaurants in Budapest
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: District V / Inner City
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“A shame that the service let the food down”
Reviewed August 19, 2012

On the last night of our holiday (Friday) my boyfriend and I went here as it looked very busy (so we assumed it must be good) and the menu outside offered a lot of choice, for me in particular as I am vegetarian. We were seated outside where we requested, in non-smoking, even though we had not reserved a table- this was a promising start.
We were asked for our drinks order shortly, and had a cocktail recommended to us which my boyfriend had. Our food order was taken in an acceptable amount of time after our drinks arrived.
Unfortunately, from that point the service let down what could have been a very good night. On the tables around us there were more people not eating than were eating. Our courses took a long time to arrive, and after waiting over 10 minutes to be able to order another drink after my starter (as the waiter did not walk anywhere near our table, nor look at us), I then waited at least another 15 before it arrived. My gnocchi with 'pink four cheese sauce' was actually just a tomato-based sauce which was a bit disappointing although the gnocchi was very soft and tasty, and my boyfriend enjoyed his black spaghetti dish.
After this meal the service charge was added to the bill (which we asked for immediately upon finishing our main course). I queried it with the manager as I would not pay a tip for the service we received if I were back here in England, and she took the service charge off for us, which was good. I wouldn't recommend this restaurant- you would expect an establishment of this size to be able to cope with demand on a Friday night more adequately, and it wasn't the best way to end our otherwise great experiences in Budapest.

• Visited August 2012

• Chinese (Traditional) first
North Vancouver, Canada
“Amazing view, Great Food, Exquisite Bathrooms”
Reviewed August 14, 2012

Our waiters were very helpful, which is always very important. The food didn't take that long to come. I ordered Penne Arrabiatta and it was perfection. The sauce was devine and the penne cooked perfectly 'andante.'
The view is lovely. We sat outside and we had perfect view of St. Stephen's Basilica. We would watch the square right in front, too, with people milling about and taking pictures.
The bathrooms are superb. They smell of peaches and are very clean. I think that how well the bathrooms are maintained say a lot of how clean the rest of the restaurant is.

• Visited August 2012
Brooklyn
“Good food, not so good service...”
Reviewed July 4, 2012

The pizza was good, and the pasta was cooked perfectly... but I had a hard time communicating with the waiter because I don't think she was very happy to be there. Other than that it was a nice place and a great view of the Basilica.

• Visited July 2012
Istanbul, Turkey
“Very good food and drink with excellent value”
Reviewed June 5, 2012

This restaurant located on the edge of the basilica of St Stephen's cathedral was a delight. The portions were generous and the side vegetable dishes impressive. We dined there because many of the prestigiously acclaimed establishments were shut on Sunday. However, it was as good as some of them, much better than others and better located too. If you like good, well prepared cooked food, ample salads and vegetables then this restaurant will suit you well. We had squid as a main course, it was beautifully cooked in very adequate portions. The bill for the food plus an excellent bottle of Hungarian merlot was good value and our waiter was highly efficient too. This restaurant will suit diners fed up with receiving several artistic morsels on large plates served up in fancier restaurants, advertised as nouveau cuisine/ fusion but! as diners, wish they could obtain food more traditionally proportioned without being too big. This is an excellent restaurant, a great find and will add to Budapest's list of worthy gastronomic eateries.

• Visited June 2012