“Old world elegant Hotel”

Danubius Hotel Astoria City Center
Ranked #48 of 334 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed July 21, 2014

This was an old elegant hotel in an excellent location. The rooms are small but functional. Our room on the 5th floor had a walk out balcony that overlooked a busy street. The blackout metal blinds blocked out light and noise so it was quiet and good to sleep. The buffet breakfast was good and had a good variety of selections including omelettes; however, if you order an omelette-it took a long time to be delivered to my table.Beds were very comfortable. There were no face towels in the rooms. The hotel is a short walk to city park, the Jewish Quarter, the danube, and the Market Mall. There is a McDonald's next door.

Room Tip: Take face towels because they are not provided at the hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
AstoriaBudapest, Front Office Manager at Danubius Hotel Astoria City Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 28, 2014

Dear Ibaol,
Thank you for staying here in our Danubius Hotel Astoria and thank you for leaving your positive comments on Tripadvisor.com
We are delighted that you had an enjoyable stay in Budapest and that you liked our nice lobby, the perfect location of the hotel and despite the slow omelette you were satisfied with the good variety and selection of the buffet breakfast. We strive to improve he level of our service and hope it meets the guests satisfatcion.
We look forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful Budapest soon.
Kind regards,

Reviewed July 20, 2014

I have never met such a wonderful and reliable reception service... I was looking for information about how to get to the tropicarium? I asked a really nice man at the reception, although I was not the guest at the hotel, he helped me found the best solution.
I was also witness the situation, in which the second man helped the lady (the guest) who wanted a organize a trip. He also gave her some important and useful information.
I can only add that when I walked into the hotel, I felt friendly atmosphere of this place.
Cordially recommend this hotel to everybody :)
Tourist from Poland

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Natalia Marta D

Dear Natalia Marta D.,
Thank you very much for your excellent feedback.
The front staff strives to help and assist the tourists in Budapest. It is great to be mentioned in such a positive manner through such a public medium.
We look forward to welcoming you back at some stage in the future.
Kindest regards,

Reviewed July 17, 2014

This is a beautiful old hotel. When people say this is old world, you step into this hotel and
feel just that. The rooms (I stayed in a deluxe) was very comfortable, and the bathroom certainly large enough. And high ceilings! I had breakfast at the dining room everyday I was there very good selection. The staff was what made this stay memorable, They were very helpful and always willing to help, The location is central and there is the metro right outside. I walked pretty well everyday, it is about a 10 minute walk to the market. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here and have recommended this place already to some friends who are interested in visiting Budapest. I would not stay anywhere else but Hotel Astoria next time I visit this city.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
AstoriaBudapest, Front Office Manager at Danubius Hotel Astoria City Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

Dear Luvtomovetothesouthwest,

Thank you for your super feedback and thank you also for choosing to stay here in the Astoria recently. I am most pleased that you had a very enjoyable time whilst staying with us.
All on the team are delighted to read your very positive feedback. We are glad that you enjoyed our location, the breakfast and your high ceiling room. To say that the staff members are a top caliber is a great compliment to all.
On behalf of all on the team I would like to thank you once again and I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back again at some stage in the future.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed July 14, 2014

I really enjoyed my stay, it was central, with great transportation links. The hotel was really stunning in many ways, old world charm with modern amenities. A couple of things that I felt could have been done better, the room was really very dusty and on the surface looked clean when we moved the beds to have a separation between two ladies - it was really very dirty. And the other thing was the access to Wifi - you had to buy each day seperately and it was very time consuming and frustrating. On the whole I would recommend and stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
AstoriaBudapest, Front Office Manager at Danubius Hotel Astoria City Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2014

Dear Ms Paige S,

Thank you for choosing to stay in Danubius Hotel Astoria and thank you for this positive feedback.
I am glad that on the whole you would recommend our hotel to other Tripadvisor readers and that you enjoyed the stunning hotel features. I am disappointed that your room was not perfectly hoovered, we strive to secure the highest cleanliness level at all parts of te hotel.
From the first of July we have free WIFI at all areas of the hotel and this works with the guests best satisfaction.
Thank you once more and I look forward to your next visit to our beautiful Budapest.

Kind regards,

Reviewed July 14, 2014

Stayed at this marvellous Hotel from Sun.June 29th thru to Thurs. 3rd July. and I have nothing but compliments to the hotel and the entire staff. The room we had was in a quiet part of the hotel and was excellent, the decor was of a very high standard and free wi-fi became available through out the hotel whilst we were there. We stayed room only but the complimentary coffee and croissant each morning were very welcoming. We found the staff to be very friendly and also very helpful at all times and I would like to thank the Manager Zsida Laszlo for the surprise in our room for my wifes birthday, thank you.One other point that I thought I would mention is the room safe, it`s free and all you do is swipe your credit card through the slot and hey presto, your in and again, it`s free.The hotel is close to all tourist attractions and is also one of the stops for the HopOn/HopOff bus which is a must and it includes a boat trip. Must be done! Also across the road is a small bar called Bite which does snacks and also serves a nice pint which costs approx 85 pence.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room as the noise at the front of the hotel are affected by traffic noise particular...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Alan G

Dear Mr Alan G,

Thank you very much for leaving this excellent review on Tripadvisor.com.
I am delighted that you had a perfect birthday celebration in our beautiful Budapest and also, that we were able to give a small gift to make it more enjoyable.
Thank you for all your compliments and we all look for your next visit to the Astoria.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed July 13, 2014

Stayed at the Astoria as part of a sightseeing trip to Budapest. I was impressed from start to finish by every aspect of the hotel. From the check in staff to the night porter, every member of the hotel staff were highly professional and polite. Hotel was perfectly located and very close to a 24hour shop which was great to grab a few bits forgotten at home. Breakfast was a large selection with plenty of fresh and hot options. Will be back in November and cant wait.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank pebbles201

Dear pebbles201,

Thank you very much for choosing to stay here in our 100 years old Danubius Hotel Astoria and thank you for your superb review.
I am delighted that you were satisfied with every aspects of the hotel, especially with the staff's attitude. I ensure you that your appreciation will be forwarded to the receptionists and to the night porter.
I look forward to your November visit. Please do not hesitate to drop me a line to prepare your perfect accomodation.

Reviewed July 13, 2014

Astoria Hotel was built in 1914 and it still has the old world charm in the lobby and in the restaurant and cafe. It is a shame that the rooms are maintained as well as the groundfloor. The furniture is a copy of the american white age hotel times. I was satisfied with the cleanliness and the service at all part. WIFI is free and this brings the five points to the hotel. I had a delicious breakfast however the stafff is not well organized. They were always busy with filling the fresh food and did not heve time for the guests requests. I can recommend this hotel to the tourist with no special enquieries. My favourite experience was the bell boys friendly attitude.

Room Tip: Rooms face the side street are small but quiet
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank KateVorin

Dear KateVorin,

Happy to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and wrote such a nice review on TripAdvisor.
It is always a pleasure to know when our efforts are appreciated and remembered.
Your nice comments will be forwarded to the Team; we are all pleased that you were satisfied with the bell boys and with the clenliness of your room as well.
We very much appreciate your feedback and it is our hope that we will have the oppurtunity to accommodate you in the hotel again.

Kindest egards,