“Comfortable, Quiet, Well-Located”

Ranked #48 of 342 Hotels in Budapest
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Comfortable, Quiet, Well-Located”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2014

I was recently in Budapest for a conference and enjoyed my 2 night stay at the Danubius Hotel Astoria. It's centrally located, right next to public. Everyone who worked here was extremely friendly and helpful. The room was a bit small, but fine for one person. My only complaint is that there was not free internet access in the room, though it is apparently possible to access free wifi from the lobby. Breakfast was included with my stay and I found it to be good/above average -- nice selection of pastries, fruits, yogurt, eggs, etc -- typical European breakfast buffet. Although the hotel was located on a very busy street, my room was on the inside and super quiet.

Room Tip: Stay on the inside for quiet. No pool or gym.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
AstoriaBudapest, Front Office Manager at Danubius Hotel Astoria City Center, responded to this review, July 9, 2014
Dear Kate,

Thank you for your very positive review on Tripadvisor.com.
We are delighted that you had an enjoyable stay and that you found your room to be super quiet and fine for one person. I hope your conference was successful and you all have good memories about Budapest. Since your stay we have introduced the WIFI at all part of the hotel – as promised.
We look forward to hopefully welcoming you back in the near future in our beautiful capital.

Front Office Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (220)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2014

I have just returned from a 4 night stay and it was great! we stayed in room 219 which was at the back of the hotel a very quiet room, newly refurbished in bathroom. We requested a room with a shower and we got it :) but had no bath but we werent bothered about that! The breakfast is fruit, cakes pastries and a few hot items, go early as we found if you go at 9am there`s not much left. Reception staff were extremely helpful.
Overall a great hotel great location. Try the pizza slices from the "pizza king express" next door to hotel they were amazing and SO cheap!
Just a *tip* if you go to the Szechenyi Baths and enjoy a swim buy a swimming hat before you go as you cant swim without one and take some food with you its terrible and over priced!
Book this hotel you wont be disappointed!:)

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
AstoriaBudapest, Front Office Manager at Danubius Hotel Astoria City Center, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Dear Jumos2013,

Greetings from the Astoria!
Thank you so much for your superb, professional review.
We are very glad that you had an enjoyable stay here in Budapest and we do appreciate your kind words regarding the staff and and the breakfast.
I do hope your clients will be as satisfied with the hotel as you are.
We look forward to your next stay in our Danubius Hotel Astoria. Please do not hesitate to drop me a line to arrange your personal requests.

Arlington, VA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2014

The Astoria hotel was a delight. It’s a hundred year old grand hotel in well-maintained condition. The cozy lobby is comfortably furnished. The staff at the front desk was friendly and quite helpful with reservations.

The location was excellent, just a short walk from the heart of old Pest.

our room was spacious and nicely furnished. It was a corner room.
The bathroom was modern and well-equipped.

Our room rate included the buffet breakfast, which was quite good.

Room Tip: Corner rooms are a bit larger than the others.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Justasteve,

Thank you for your super feedback.
I am thrilled to see that you found all on the front desk team to be excellent with excellent service provided – I am so lucky to have such a wonderful team here all of whom are so motivated and focused when it comes to delivering friendly and professional service to all guests.
Thank you again and and hopefully we will have the opportunity to welcome you back again at some stage in the future.

Athens, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2014

Astoria hotel was perfect for the city center walks. Around the hotel there were a lot of cheap eateries but we tried the excellent breakfast. The restaurant was beautiful. My room was small and cool so I had a very good stay. The temperature outside was like in Greece: hot and dry. The Hop on tour was a terrific choice. I bought the ticket at the reception. I can recommend this hotel for two-three days stay city breaks. There was no gym and spa, I paid less than 100 EUR per night.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Dear Coffy B,

Congratulations to the Greek team for reaching the quarter final in Brazil! It was a great performance!
Thank you for your lovely feedback and thank you for your description what helps other Tripadvisor users to find the right program in Budapest.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future to our beautiful capital.

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2014 via mobile

Unfortunately his hotel has no kerb appeal what so ever and is well overdue a facelift. However, the inside is very nice indeed with classical architecture and style. Our room was adequate and the bathroom good. Shower was excellent but unfortunately it's design meant that it would continually slide down the pole so it could only be used as a hand held shower. Hair dryer was the usual weak affair. The room had the old style portable TV and had no tea or coffee making facilities, but the air conditioning was excellent. The bed was very comfortable but the pillows were every small and not very good. We asked for a quiet room and it was very quiet indeed providing an excellent night sleep, the only downside being a brick wall as the view from the window. There's no ironing facilities in the room and reception does not supply this either, you have to use the hotel laundry service.Didn't use the hotel restaurant for any meals as breakfast was very over priced and there are plenty of very close cafe's to use. The hotel is obviously aware of this as they offered 20% discount when checking in if we agreed to have breakfast there for our four day stay. Still not worth it. Did use the hotel bar once, but they couldn't provide 300 HUF change from a 1000 HUF note. They still owe me 50 HUF. On check out, for the hotel to store our suitcase until the afternoon we were requested to provide a voluntary donation into the basket on the table in the store room, which was lined with 1000 HUF notes to help you have an idea of how much was expected.The hotel is quite well located for sight seeing and the 92.80 Euros per night in half term in May for room only is not bad for a city centre hotel.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Michael C
Dear Michael C,

Thank you for staying in Danubius Hotel Astoria and congratulations to your first review on Tripadvisor.
I am most disappointed that you were not quite satisfied with the hotel facilities and hope that the interaction with the reception staff was at your liking. We strive to provide a friendly service and do our utmost to fulfill all the requirements of the guests. Ironing is available in the service room for the chamber maid on your own if you choose this option. To use the luggage room is literally free of charge, tipping is an option. In the Astoria the duty manager is available round the clock, he is responsible to find a solution for the guests complaints. We can put extra pillows in the rooms and arrange other extras.
I am delighted that you had a pleasant stay and you mention the advantages: the comfortable bed, the adequate sized bathroom, the low room price, the quiet room where you had an excellent sleep, the air conditioning and the nice and classical architecture inside - thank you for recommending a facelift of the facade.
With the help of your feedback we can improve the quality of our service and hopefully we can welcome you back to our Astoria in the near future.

Best regards,
Walnut Creek Ca
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2014

After checking out the reviews online for the Danubius Astoria, I decided to write one of my own from a different perspective. I am an avid traveler so I stay in many hotels. After awhile they all become a blurr. Either decent and clean or someplace you'd never recommend.. In Budapest at the Astoria, I found something that I call OLD WORLD FLAVOR. Yes it is clean, yes the elevator is narrow and slow, yes the staff is a bit stiff and forma but somehow the Crystal and smell of well kept highly polished old wood is inviting It"s AUTHENTIC. When I visit an old city like Budapest I want Ambiance and flavor. I don't want to hear hip hop in the lobby I want Beethoven playing softly in the back ground. Yes, It has been revamped but it hasn't missed a beat. I think it must have looked the same back in 1914 when it opened, just newer and more shine back then..

Our room was comfortable old style beauty with modern additions, like a hairdryer and makeup mirror. (oh yes) There was a big door between the bedroom, closing off the bath room. You didn't feel so exposed which made it ever so much more private for unmarried guests like myself and my friend Kate .A real shower with plenty of hot water. Pardon me my friends, but you don't always get that in eastern Europe. Our bellman was sorely shortchanged y me for his tip. I can only plead a lack of currency IQ. When I asked him if that was enough, he smiled and said "perfect madame whatever you wish to give is much appreciated". We saw him down in the lobby so often and he was always happy to offer advice. When I realized that I had given him $1.33, I about died of embarrassment. So of course we gave him more to make up for it, he kept saying " it's ok, no problem". In the US we may have not had a very pleasant an experience.

WI FI is only available in the Lobby which is an inconvience but the Lobby is attached to a beautiful Cafe and restaurant.how fabulously charming and decorated in that old world style, piano player teasing the ivories in the corner. Some guest with a little too muchliquid enthusiasm signing along. Now that's pleasant!!! Kate and I had tea and sweets there every evening. Pleasant memories..

Our one unsatisfactory experience was breakfast. There was a waitress that was snooty and rude so we left and went next door to Mickey D's, yep right next door.This is a great location. because he Hop on/ Hop off sight seeing bus is right across the blvd, The under ground is directly in front of the hotel The Jewish Ghetto sits just two blocks down the blvd and a block over. Go see the beautiful Temple it is a story of constant persecution of the Jews.The history is sad and uncomfortable but truth is the beginning of change. Persecution is still happening there today, but in a very suttle way. The area it'self is filled with great little pubs and restaurants . If you like history like I do you will give the Astoria a 2 thumbs up.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mimey
AstoriaBudapest, Front Office Manager at Danubius Hotel Astoria City Center, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Dear Mimey,

Thank you for choosing to stay here in our Danubius Hotel Astoria and thank you very much for your lovely review. Your professional description is a real help to other travelers to find a good old fashioned place to stay for a reasonable price.
I apologize for the trainees behaviour in the restaurant.
Please do not hesitate to drop me a line to prepare your next visit in our beautiful Budapest.

Portoroz, Slovenia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2014

The hotel has its name from the Waldorf Astoria, New York, NY. Right at the metro station Astoria. Rooms are noisy, clean, middle size, average. Restaurant is always empty, except at breakfast. The boys in the hall are friendly and give directions to any tourist places. We had a terrible noise during the night from outside our room and the night shift boy moved us to a deluxe room. The one man reception desk was handling 3-4 things in the same time. We have paid 80 EUR for our room, this price is not four star level. Good value for our stay.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Mr Jaksitsch,

Thank you for your historical review about our Danubius Hotel Astoria.
I am glad that you had such an enjoyable stay with us and hope that you will return soon to our marvellous capital.