Ways to Experience Danube River
Budapest Bike Tour
177 Reviews
from $32.30
6,693 results
All reviews boat trip night cruise both sides margaret island chain bridge parliament building hop on hop beautiful city beautiful at night lit up at night castle hill danube boats viking pest ship banks
Reviewed today

Viking did not make us aware of the potential for low water when we booked our November river cruise. Had they told us we would not have booked that one. We spent more time on the buses between ships than sailing on the Danube. 3 ships in 8 days. Could not even unpack our clothes. Had a balcony which was useless because they docked next to another ship so could not see anything. Very disappointed. Staff was great but trip was exhausting with all the changes in itinerary.

Reviewed today

As many of you may know, there has been little rain in Mid-Europe this year, hence the Danube and the Rhine are very low. Nevertheless, our trip boat from APTtravelmarvel, managed to navigate through the river. Watching the town of Budapst at night from the upper decks was totaly fascinating. You must go and see for yourselves

Reviewed yesterday

We chose this cruise based on the recommendation of our cruise agent and the itinerary (we really wanted to visit Prague). We have been on almost a dozen ocean cruises prior to this adventure.
The ship was clean and had a minimal draft. This was important because it allowed us to cruise the Danube while several other lines could not. We could not start in Nuremberg as planned due to low water levels in the Main-Danube Canal. The first two stops were wiped out but AMA did everything they could to find alternate stops for us. They also offered a complimentary tour of Salzburg.
Dejan, our cruise director, kept us as updated on river levels as he could. He was a tireless worker and seemed to be at his desk or on a tour bus all the time. His enthusiasm was contagious.
Minor negative comments - my wife had two wine choices at every meal. I had hoped to experience German and Czech beers as well. There were only five beers offered; one gluten free, another was alcohol free and a third I can buy in Canada (and don't like it here).
On board entertainment - AMA brought on some great performers during our cruise. However, at every show guests decided to speak at full volume around the bar or just behind it. I turned around once and asked them to allow us to listen to the performance. They glared at me, moved to the next table, and then spoke even louder. Dejan had appealed for us to appreciate the entertainers. I wish everyone had listened.
There is a note in the cabin washrooms about water conservation. We hung up our towels on the racks every day but still got fresh towels. I thought about hiding the towels but we would have probably have just had double left. Either take the sign down or respect the guests' wishes.
The excursions were mostly well done, well presented and informative. Our guide for Salzburg spoke about the Sound of Music as if we had all seen it the previous week. Our guide in Grein (an alternative stop) rambled on a bit too much.
The food, for the most part, was excellent. My wife and I both felt that we directed too quickly to the buffets at breakfast and lunch. We preferred to order off the menu.
Embarking and disembarking were smooth and easy.
Highlights - sitting on the upper deck floating through the Wachau Valley watching the wineries and castles go by. "Shoes on the Danube" display - tragic and moving. The bike tour in Vienna was enjoyable and just the right amount of exercise.
Would we do another river cruise? Not sure. After a while, the castles/cathedrals/churches all seem to look alike. We have nothing to compare AMA to as far as river cruises go, but we did not feel "wowed". But even as I write this, I cannot give any specific examples as what they could have done to "wow" us. Maybe the amount of money you pay for a river cruise is justified in the peace and lack of hassles we had.

Reviewed 2 days ago

Took the river cruise which is most definitely worth the money (HUF 6200 / USD22 which includes 2 drinks). You'll get a very different view of the Chain Bridge, Parliament, Fisherman's Bastion, etc. All well lit and look very grand.
The 7pm cruise takes 2 hours which I felt was a stretch, a 1.5 hour cruise would have been better. There is actually a 1.5 hour night cruise but it departs at 10pm. It didn't work for me as I didn't want to be walking back to the hotel close to midnight.

Reviewed 2 days ago

The danube was not blue but it was a fascinating river flowing through the city with historic building both sides. The were several cruise boats along the river but the river was generally fairly clean.

Reviewed 2 days ago

Obviously when it Budapest you must visit the river in some respect but it would be pretty hard to spend any length of time in Budapest and not see the river. I would defitently reccomend and evening boat trip down the river in the darker months as the city looks beautiful lit up and night especially the parliament building and the bridge. Also visit the shoes on the Danube, although if it's out of your way you might want to miss it as you'll only be there 15 minutes max.

Reviewed 2 days ago

Awesome cruise, not too many people so very comfortable. Took the boat From Budapest to Vienna then through northern Austria through the locks on the river. Europe had an extremely dry summer so the water levels were insufficient to complete the cruise through to Nurnberg so we missed two days on water but the tours were arranged by bus so we did not miss any of the attractions we intended to see. The staff on board was great and so was the Cruise/Tour Director. Wei Ler....Hello Hello Hello My dear Ladies and Gentlemen!!!!! All the tour guides were fun and informative and the selection of things to do were ample. If in need of a massage, thee best one to get is right on board.

Reviewed 3 days ago

I find Budapest as a city centre to be not very stand out or attractive, but get to the river on a nice day or sunset and it rivals the views of anywhere.
The fisherman’s bastion and parliament building are particularly amazing looking.

Reviewed 3 days ago

Just an average river, there is nothing special about it. We didn't think about taking a cruise because it won't be something special to us. Good to sit on an overlooking restaurant and just watch the ships, boats.. that's it.

Reviewed 3 days ago via mobile

The main Budapest portion of the Danube must not be missed at any cost. It is an absolute beauty at all times of the day, reserving different sights for different moments. Taking long strolls alongside it is very pleasurable, as is taking a boat tour or eating in one of the many options available around.