“Like a home away from home”
Review of Shantee House

Shantee House
Ranked #65 of 670 Specialty Lodging in Budapest
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Not much more i can say then what is above.... !!
The renovations look amazing guys... was a pleasure to be back last year to see the finished product... Greatest hostel on earth and the greatest people .... looking forward to my next 10 visits like my first 10... i can only advise anyone travelling to Budapest to stay here and always do... !! catch you all soon..

Room Tip: the bob marley room, one of the originals is still the place to crash..
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Super nice hostel. The atmosphere is great, everybody is really social. When we arrived late in the afternoon we were directly invited to join a pub crawl later that evening. In the end we went with a group of 20 people all staying at the hostel. An Australian employee who had been coming to Budapest for several years showed us all the nice places to go. In the end I only used the bed in the hostel for 4 hours in 2 days so that indicates pretty much how much fun we had! The beds, kitchen, showers and toilets are new and clean. The only critique I can give is the location, which is kinda far from the city centre, but luckily the public transport in Budapest is very good, even at night.

Room Tip: The big dorm are pretty noisy because there are so many people sleeping there who get up and go to s...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 30, 2013

In 2007 I had the chance...no, wait, the privilege to stay at this wonderful hostel! The atmosphere is shall you say calming and exciting all at the same time! Wonderful staff and a super head man Attila or (Sipi). If you are looking for a hostel that is helpful in getting you familiar with the city, has great ambiance, friendly staff, nice location...(quiet area on the outskirts, but easy as pie to get to downtown or anywhere for that matter)..than this is the place for you! My name is Dustin and I'm from Canada, the guesthouse felt like my second home! Thanks again Attila, Bori, Mate, Andrea!!!
Love you all

Reviewed June 29, 2013

I have spent the past 14 years staying at this hostel whenever I have visited Budapest, when it was known as the Backpack Guesthouse. I have returned to this hostel over 10 times, and probably spent, overall, 6 months staying in this fantastic little place. Back in '99, I spent 3 fantastic nights here, over Xmas, and completely fell in love with the place. I headed off to Romania, did a quick holiday in the Balkans, and then returned back to the hostel, where I stayed for almost 3 months! I then returned the following year for another month, and then visited another 10 or so times after that over the next 10 years or so. It really does feel like a home, not a hostel, and it was a great place to base myself when I had had enough of moving about. When my parents visited me in London from Australia, we visited Budapest, and rather than stay in a hotel, we stayed at the hostel together. The team were equally as welcoming to my aging parents as they were to young travellers, and my parents loved the place! I have taken friends there for long partying weekends, I have taken my then boyfriend with me for a nice break. Attila, Bori, Andrea and the rest of the team could not do enough for us, taking us to private parties, booking day trips to the wine region, and caving breaks for us, taking half the hostel out for dinner to the Mongolian BBQ etc etc. This is hands down, at least in my experience - and I have done a LOT of backpacking over the past 14 years - the best hostel in Europe. FAB FAB FAB! Stay here, you won't regret it!

Reviewed June 29, 2013

I stayed with the lovely people of this hostel in 2002 or 2003, when it was the Backback Guesthouse. It was in the middle of the winter, and I had been traveling for many months. Was very depressed as my video camera had just been stolen in Romania. I wandered into this place in the worst of moods. I did not feel like doing anything at all but sit around and stew in my depression... Lucky for me, they had a rec room with tons of movies and the biggest fattest friendliest cat I've ever met. I spent most of my entire week in Budapest in that hostel.. Recovering and revitalizing, and met some of the coolest people that both worked there and great personalities traveling through.

I went back to Budapest six years later and I wandered back to the same hostel. To my great surprise, the people who worked there actually remembered me, and not only, me they remembered some of the same guests that had spent that week together. I was amazed. And they still had the same cat! Unfortunately, the rooms were full due to the Sziget festival during the same time. However, they pulled some strings and found a way for me to have a bed for the night. I've been back to Budapest many times, and eventually lived there. Needless to say, anytime I needed a spot to crash, it was with these guys. I still consider them my friends, as I am sure the many people who come and go feel the same way.

The people of Shantee House/Backpack Guesthouse are some of the most lovely people in the world and such great representatives of their country. I was inspired to eventually live there for awhile, and part of that reason had to do with the hospitality and friendliness I experienced at the beginning. Thanks, Atilla, Andrea, and Bori for the great memories that I will carry throughout my life.

I've stayed in places and theirs was the best community hostel I've ever been to.

T.G.

1  Thank tjg123456789
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I have been there a few times and love every moment..... the new place makes the stay and the experience so much better. you will not find a better night sleep, or more beautiful people than at the Shantee House. It is truely a magical place. This is a must stay!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 27, 2013

From the very first Moment as I stepped in this Hostel I felt it felt like coming home far away from home. The staff is very friendly. I made a whole lot of new friends and returned there at least two times a year since 2010. The rooms are clean and the atmosphere is magic.
I love the communal room and the garden. Good places to relax are the hammocks and the gazebo. If you want to do something wether sightseeing or going to a bar or whatever, one of the guest will always guide you.
I'm very much looking forward for coming back to this beautiful place. It's definitaly worth to visit.

Room Tip: I can recommend the garden or the big dorm, because I always try to save some money. The rest of the...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo