“Sleeping in center Budapest on Donau-river”

Fortuna Boat Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #134 of 333 Hotels in Budapest
Maastricht, The Netherlands
“Sleeping in center Budapest on Donau-river”
Reviewed April 21, 2012

Nicely located in the center of Budapest on the romantic Donau, between Buda and Pest. Rooms were comfortable, clean, two windows overlooking the river to "Margit-sziget": the Margaret Island. However small, the rooms had a normal acceptable bed, flat-screen TV, fridge, bathroom with private toilet and shower. Reception was very open and helpfull. Buffet breakfast was good, staff there was not very open and the music channel was more "channel" than "music".
Good price quality ratio.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the base level deck, preferably on the river side.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Noel-and-Ilonka

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed March 3, 2012

I do not understand why other reviewers complained a lot. In the first place, we have to understand that it is a boat-hotel, not a cruise ship nor a 'regular hotel'. Secondly, the culture is different so do not expect them to be all smile. Once you 'crack' their hard shell, you will see their gentleness. Otherwise, you can also apply the criticism on the people of the city itself!

We booked-in last February 2, 2012 and really enjoyed the accommodation and breakfast. The place was very warm and cozy and the buffet-breakfast, awesome. The receptionist was very helpful in guiding us the key places to visit in Budapest.
It was really a wonderful experience to sleep on the boat-hotel. Privacy? Just close the curtain and you are all set. As I said, do not expect a pristine like experience since you are staying on a boat!

Cleanliness, very good. Reception? Good. Price? Reasonable. Well, of course, if you want a 5 star accommodation then stay and pay at the 5 star hotel!
I will definitely return and recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank pcnovice
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2012

This is really a ship of two halves, the lower deck has basic rooms with shared bathroms and only a port hole for light. The cabins on the higher deck are completely different, television, fridge, ensuite with a large picture window. The only negative is the window overlooks the outdoor seating area and people are able to walk past your window which we personally did not find a problem and in fact actually sat out on this deck with a drink seeral evenings. We visited off season and in the season there is a terrace fon the top deck foror sitting out. The staff were really friendly and spoke perfect English. We were worried that the location would be a little far out of town, it was not. The view from the boat at night was magical with a great view of the lights of Buda. Breakfast was plentiful with a great choice. A computer room was always available and the safes were some of the most secure I have seen. Your own safe was in a locked room which had to be opened by a staff member and the actual safe needed two keys to open it, one held by the hotel and the other held by you, to ensure privacy once the hotel staff had used their key they waited outside the room whilst you did what was needed. The only people who I heard moaning were those who had booked the lower deck rooms which were classed as hostel rooms - you only get what you pay for!!!! Wil;l be back again soon

Room Tip: Ask for a river view
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank allsortsoftrips
Sherbrooke, Canada
Reviewed October 21, 2011

I rented for 2 days.

At dinner time I head for the restaurant. There are people in some kind of group dinner. The headwaiter stands in the door and blocks my entrance. YES he says. I answer YES..Finally he asks what do you want? I say: a beer wld be nice. Reluctanly he steps aside. I sit and drink my beer brought by an unsmilling gorilla (the barman). I decide to have dinner. I chewed as muich as I could but gave up and swallowed the wild boar. Had another beer. Left a good tip anyway. There were only 2 clients in the restaurant now.

I ask the unsmilling receptionst if they have wi-fi he says go to the restaurant for best reception. I do, The gorilla chases me with a menu. I tell him, I just want to see if I can read my messages. He says This is restaurant! I say I know I just had dinner..Remember me. I just sat there. He insists You must eat to use restaurant...I say I just did, He says tallk to boss.. Boss (My friendly waiter) re-appears and I say I just want to have a quick look at my messages. I am escorted almost manu military out of the restaurant.

I left the next morning. Room was small but clean and kind of OK.

aqsked unsmilling receptionist if they had Wi-Fi he said best reception in the restaurant, I get my computer and go back, This time the gorilla chases me tasted like my

Room Tip: Rooms at the top are better
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Michel G

Travelers are raving about these Budapest hotels

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
Reviewed October 2, 2011

Perfect place, nice rooms and service! Also, very cheap. It couldn't be better!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
2 Thank OliviaSilva
Johor Bahru District, Malaysia
Reviewed September 23, 2011

We had a four night stay from the 18th to the 22nd September. We were a bit apprehensive after reading some of the reviews, but in all honesty we could find very little to fault with this hotel. We had spoken to them before we arrived explaining that we were taking a couple of very close friends away to celebrate their 50th Wedding Anniversary and asked if we could have cabins/rooms above deck and with river view etc. Well I can honestly say that we had the best two cabins on the boat, windows on two sides and with the added bonus of no deck outside so that guests could not look into our rooms.
The rooms were large, clean and tidy. Breakfast was more than adequate, consisting of:
Various cereals, Yoghurts, Scrambled eggs, sausages, breads, cakes, meats, cheeses, tea, coffee,hot chocolate and an array of juices.
We found the receptions staff to be very helpful and booked our trips and taxis via the hotel.
We had three evening meals in the hotel, all of which were very good, especially the wild boar !
The restaurant staff were more than helpful and tailored our needs as necessary.
All in alI would recommend this hotel -- 10 out of 10

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
7 Thank David T
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 20, 2011

I was on a budget, and this boat hotel seemed too good to be true, and it was. On arrival, the man on reception told us that there was no booking. I showed him my itinerary paperwork from Thomas Cook, and he then decided that we did have a room. This was not the room we booked as it had an ensuite, so that was a good upgrade. The 'ensuite' was mouldy round the tiling; the shower didn't fit on the wall,and someone had tried to fix the shower head with glue, but it didn't work,and the water squirted at all angles around the wet room. The water was nice and hot though. There was supposed to be a bar - where?? We didn't find one. We tried the restaurant on the first night - were served a main course, and a drink.... then nothing more. Waiter didn't come back and couldn't really speak English,so we paid at the bar and left.
The bed had stained sheets on them; the mattress was old ticking and had no mattress cover protector on it; the room had windows onto the deck, so naturally people were sitting out there in the evening with beer and wine, but there were no nets so we had to close our curtains to maintain some privacy.
The breakfast was nice and there was plenty of it - the fruit was quite bruised, but it was a hot weekend. Staff again, were not unfriendly, but not really welcoming either.
On our last morning, we found the toilet wouldn't flush, then realised that none of the taps worked. Apparently the water supply had cut off and no one could have any showers or use the loos, etc.
On checkout, we were asked to pay for minibar items that we hadn't used, which was annoying. We refused, and they accepted that we had not used anything. A real downer for the end of our stay.
The view of the river was nice, and watching the boat trips going back and forward, was ok. The boathotel overlooks the Margaret Island, which is quite pretty and the view from the boathotel at night is good with the lights reflecting on the water. Not sure I would stay there again, though!

Room Tip: Ask for an ensuite as these are the only rooms worth having; take a travel kettle and tea/coffee/cof...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple