“The art of being rude”

Fortuna Boat Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #143 of 335 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed October 21, 2011

I rented for 2 days.

At dinner time I head for the restaurant. There are people in some kind of group dinner. The headwaiter stands in the door and blocks my entrance. YES he says. I answer YES..Finally he asks what do you want? I say: a beer wld be nice. Reluctanly he steps aside. I sit and drink my beer brought by an unsmilling gorilla (the barman). I decide to have dinner. I chewed as muich as I could but gave up and swallowed the wild boar. Had another beer. Left a good tip anyway. There were only 2 clients in the restaurant now.

I ask the unsmilling receptionst if they have wi-fi he says go to the restaurant for best reception. I do, The gorilla chases me with a menu. I tell him, I just want to see if I can read my messages. He says This is restaurant! I say I know I just had dinner..Remember me. I just sat there. He insists You must eat to use restaurant...I say I just did, He says tallk to boss.. Boss (My friendly waiter) re-appears and I say I just want to have a quick look at my messages. I am escorted almost manu military out of the restaurant.

I left the next morning. Room was small but clean and kind of OK.

aqsked unsmilling receptionist if they had Wi-Fi he said best reception in the restaurant, I get my computer and go back, This time the gorilla chases me tasted like my

Room Tip: Rooms at the top are better
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Michel G

Reviewed October 2, 2011

Perfect place, nice rooms and service! Also, very cheap. It couldn't be better!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank OliviaSilva
Reviewed September 23, 2011

We had a four night stay from the 18th to the 22nd September. We were a bit apprehensive after reading some of the reviews, but in all honesty we could find very little to fault with this hotel. We had spoken to them before we arrived explaining that we were taking a couple of very close friends away to celebrate their 50th Wedding Anniversary and asked if we could have cabins/rooms above deck and with river view etc. Well I can honestly say that we had the best two cabins on the boat, windows on two sides and with the added bonus of no deck outside so that guests could not look into our rooms.
The rooms were large, clean and tidy. Breakfast was more than adequate, consisting of:
Various cereals, Yoghurts, Scrambled eggs, sausages, breads, cakes, meats, cheeses, tea, coffee,hot chocolate and an array of juices.
We found the receptions staff to be very helpful and booked our trips and taxis via the hotel.
We had three evening meals in the hotel, all of which were very good, especially the wild boar !
The restaurant staff were more than helpful and tailored our needs as necessary.
All in alI would recommend this hotel -- 10 out of 10

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
7  Thank David T
Reviewed September 20, 2011

I was on a budget, and this boat hotel seemed too good to be true, and it was. On arrival, the man on reception told us that there was no booking. I showed him my itinerary paperwork from Thomas Cook, and he then decided that we did have a room. This was not the room we booked as it had an ensuite, so that was a good upgrade. The 'ensuite' was mouldy round the tiling; the shower didn't fit on the wall,and someone had tried to fix the shower head with glue, but it didn't work,and the water squirted at all angles around the wet room. The water was nice and hot though. There was supposed to be a bar - where?? We didn't find one. We tried the restaurant on the first night - were served a main course, and a drink.... then nothing more. Waiter didn't come back and couldn't really speak English,so we paid at the bar and left.
The bed had stained sheets on them; the mattress was old ticking and had no mattress cover protector on it; the room had windows onto the deck, so naturally people were sitting out there in the evening with beer and wine, but there were no nets so we had to close our curtains to maintain some privacy.
The breakfast was nice and there was plenty of it - the fruit was quite bruised, but it was a hot weekend. Staff again, were not unfriendly, but not really welcoming either.
On our last morning, we found the toilet wouldn't flush, then realised that none of the taps worked. Apparently the water supply had cut off and no one could have any showers or use the loos, etc.
On checkout, we were asked to pay for minibar items that we hadn't used, which was annoying. We refused, and they accepted that we had not used anything. A real downer for the end of our stay.
The view of the river was nice, and watching the boat trips going back and forward, was ok. The boathotel overlooks the Margaret Island, which is quite pretty and the view from the boathotel at night is good with the lights reflecting on the water. Not sure I would stay there again, though!

Room Tip: Ask for an ensuite as these are the only rooms worth having; take a travel kettle and tea/coffee/cof...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank familiarfeline
Reviewed August 7, 2011

We thought we have booked hotel room from the hotel but they gave us a hostel room. Paying 60 euros (cash, by credit card it would have been 80 euros) more for 4 nights we could change the room to hotel room.
Hostel room was very small, there were 2 beds and no place for luggages. Shared facilities were not clean.
Hotel room was not big but ok. Shower was small but it was something that you could expected to be in boat hotel.
At our first night the hotel was noisy, you could hear what others were speaking from other rooms. The rest of nights were much more quite.
We didn't think that the location was good, even it was only about 500 meters to nearest tramways but there were nothing to see on the 500 meters way.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Marja1
Reviewed June 21, 2011

To experiment, decided to stay for 2 nights in the hotel-ship. I'll never do it!
They gave us a terrible cabin porthole overlooking a pier, stinky smell from the water and the noise at night from the chains of linked landing stage. Very smoky room. Very closely. And always in the dark cabin, because the windows under the pier.
Walking through a very beautiful hotel in Budapest, the ship did not want to go back.
The only plus to this hotel - it is a good breakfast.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
2  Thank olegkravitz
Reviewed May 15, 2011

Smallish but clean and comfy room on the Danube 5 minutes to the 4/6 and no.2 tram handy for bar and shops very central and a more than adequate breakfast with verry friendly staff.

Room Tip: compare sites in Budapest.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business