“OK hotel but won't use it anymore”

Fortuna Boat Hotel & Restaurant
Ranked #137 of 333 Hotels in Budapest
Rauma, Finland
“OK hotel but won't use it anymore”
Reviewed August 7, 2011

We thought we have booked hotel room from the hotel but they gave us a hostel room. Paying 60 euros (cash, by credit card it would have been 80 euros) more for 4 nights we could change the room to hotel room.
Hostel room was very small, there were 2 beds and no place for luggages. Shared facilities were not clean.
Hotel room was not big but ok. Shower was small but it was something that you could expected to be in boat hotel.
At our first night the hotel was noisy, you could hear what others were speaking from other rooms. The rest of nights were much more quite.
We didn't think that the location was good, even it was only about 500 meters to nearest tramways but there were nothing to see on the 500 meters way.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Marja1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
Nizhny Novgorod, Russia
Reviewed June 21, 2011

To experiment, decided to stay for 2 nights in the hotel-ship. I'll never do it!
They gave us a terrible cabin porthole overlooking a pier, stinky smell from the water and the noise at night from the chains of linked landing stage. Very smoky room. Very closely. And always in the dark cabin, because the windows under the pier.
Walking through a very beautiful hotel in Budapest, the ship did not want to go back.
The only plus to this hotel - it is a good breakfast.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank olegkravitz

Travelers are raving about these Budapest hotels

Exminster Exeter devon
Reviewed May 15, 2011

Smallish but clean and comfy room on the Danube 5 minutes to the 4/6 and no.2 tram handy for bar and shops very central and a more than adequate breakfast with verry friendly staff.

Room Tip: compare sites in Budapest.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank nigel57
cincinnati
Reviewed May 15, 2011

I'm sitting outside my room on the boat as I write this. I had read the mixed reviews as to the location, bad pillows and closed bar. I also read that the room air conditioning was not reliable and this is the reason I'm not in my room! They were apologetic but as it seems like an on going problem, I don't think they cared, they simply said it would be better later when the sun went down. In most rooms I don't think the windows open, mine is a standard room with bathroom. I did not see the deluxe rooms so perhaps if that's your plan this review will not apply.

Transportation is about a ten minute walk, perhaps a 1/2 mile. There is nothing closer then a 1/2 mile as far as other restaurant or bar choices. Everything on the boat closes at 10:00.

Breakfast was very good and included, it had hot and cold items contrary to one review that I read.

It could be much better then it is and I think there are better choices, I'm changing to the Easy Hotel for my next two nights. I'm not sorry I stayed but I would not stay here in the summer give the room air conditioning problem. The hotel is popular and seems to sell out every night. With nothing near by, it makes me wonder why they closed the bar? You can still get a drink in the restaurant but it's not the same.

Room Tip: The island side would offer a much better view.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed April 16, 2011

I stayed in a double room on the river side.
Nothing fancy, but clean, safe and close to Pest. And net even serviced every day.
The TV had only 1 English channel. The mini-bar was fairly priced.
But the Lord Nelson resturant is best avoided unless you're starving.
There is a McDonalds less than 500 yards away. But crossing the street is an adventure!
This is an OLD Communist era Union party boat. So don't expect a cruise liner.
There was free wifi with good reception at the end of the hall near the resturant.
Breakfast was good and filling if not too original.
I'd stay there again in a second.

Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank TarheelFamily_001
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2010

I had the misfortune to stay here recently. I booked a single room through Travel Republic and the Voucher clearly stated hotel. On arrival I was told that all single rooms are in the hostel section of the converted ferry. The room had paper thin walls off a corridor and had a wash basin only. The toilets and communal showers were down the corridor and were filthy. I complained and was told I could upgrade for an extra £25 per day for the use of a double room which is in the hotel section. I looked at one of these and they were in the same condition as the hostel area with an added very poor quality toilet and shower in the room. I declined because I was on a budget break and stayed in the single room. No heating and I was constantly kept awake by drunks coming in at all hours of the night. There seemed to be no security at the hotel at all and the staff were very sour faced and rude. A shame it ruined what would have been great experience in Budapest where everyone else I found in the restaurants were amazingly friendly and professional.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2010

Stayed in what would assumed to be the Hotel area of the boat as opposed to the Hostel rooms which were downstairs. Room was a reasonable size, clean with air con. The location is on the Pest side of the city and is reasonably handy for the city. Breakfast was 6 euroe's and was of a reasonable quality. Nice to be able to sit on deck in the evening watching the Danube flow by.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple