“Good Value and Location”
Review of Hotel Kalvin House

Hotel Kalvin House
Ranked #113 of 335 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed September 12, 2013

The hotel is located very close to the Market Hall and within easy walking distance to many different things.

I stayed here for only two nights and it is more than decent. My room was on the first floor and therefore it was a bit noisy during the day but during the night it was absolute silent. Even though the room had a somewhat musty smell, it wasn't a bad place to stay. The breakfast was quite good and the staff is very friendly with excellent English skills.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed August 10, 2013

I was most pleased with my four-night stay at the Kalvin House during my business trip to Budapest. It is centrally located in proximity to be able to walk to many tourist must-sees; just down the street from the Great Market Hall, where you can purchase food and possibly bring it back to your room (if you so choose). The hotel staff was attentive and most helpful, both with ammenities in the hotel as well as with guidance when it came to tourist activities. Even though my visit to Budapest was during the hottest week of the summer (or so it seemed... with 35-40 degree days) and my room did not have A/C, I was able to create a cooler environment to sleep in by opening my balcony door and requesting a fan to move the air around in my 3rd floor single room. My single room was otherwise pretty comfortable and clean with classic old furniture, a spacious bathroom and tub, bedroom floor space to roll out my yoga mat, and a balcony with patio furniture so that you could enjoy the quietness of the courtyard. My only complaint was that the mattress was a bit too thin. The hotel only supplies hand soap and a packet of body wash, so I encourage you to bring your own products if needed. The breakfast quality was most adequate, though the room was a bit warm in the summer, but the ambiance was most relaxed. As a business traveler on a budget, this hotel selection fulfilled my expectations, so I would certainly recommend it!

Room Tip: Courtyard side rooms are quieter as opposed to street side. If you are not able to get A/C in your r...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed August 5, 2013 via mobile

I stayed one night at this place on a hot summer day. The hotel is well located, close to tourist favourites. As already stated in it's name, this place is a four floors of an apartment building, convented into an hotel. I liked the way it gives the feeling of historic apartment living in downtown Budapest. It functions fully like a regular hotel. Both girls at the reception are friendly, helping with everything. The room is neat, decorated with classical furnishing. There is a sofa seat and many drawers. The mattress is thin and uncomfortable. The a/c does not cool the room good enough. I felt warm in the middle of the night, though I set it to 21 degrees. My room was at the penthouse (4th floor), so the windows were diagonal with built-in blinds. I could not manage to open the blinds, so lacked the sunshine while the a/c was on. The bathroom is clean and big enough for easy manoeuvre. The breakfast is rich and served in a nice room. No a/c, so a bit warm in summer. Finally, this hotel is a good choice for a budget traveler, I can recommend for even longer stays.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Not much to say....really.

The hotel did not have much of a facade. The reception is located at the 1st floor. The rooms had old furniture arranged tastefully. I bet that not 2 rooms where similar to each other.
Our room was that shown here on Kalvin House' profile. It was simply like entering another era stepping trough that door. Breakfast is continenal.

My review can be summarized with the words nice, clean and simple......but in the coolest way.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Steen I
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Great mid-level hotel, super-clean. Fabulous location. One block from Market, one block from major metro stop (bus, tram and metro all stop here), one block from famous street filled with restaurants that all offer outdoor cafe eating. Delicious breakfast included. Computer with internet available to guests. Some rooms are air-conditioned. Others have old European charm -- high ceilings, huge windows with tall wooden shutters, wooden armoires. Staff so very eager to help in any way, and English is understood and spoken.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 20, 2013

We were very impressed with the hotel.At first you wonder where you are going as the hotel is hidden behind a big oak door.The lift takes you to reception and then your holiday starts.The reception staff are really friendly and helpful.You are directed to your room.That is another pleasant surprise with antique furniture,parquet floor a proper bathroom with a bath as well as shower.The buffet breakfast is adequte with a selection of local smoked meats and cheeses as well as cereals,fruit and the usual breads and confitures.Fortunately we had taken our own travel kettle as there are no tea-making facilities.It would have been nice to have had a lounge bar in which to relax and meet other guests but the hotelis idealy situated near to a pedestrianised bar and restaurant area.There is plenty ofinformation about local sights and the various trips avalilable.We booked the hop on hop off trip which gives you 2 days unlimited sightseeing by bus and riverboat unblievable value at £16 per person. We really enjoyed our stay and found the hotel great value for money.Transport to and from the airport can also be arranged with the hotel.Well recommended to any one who wants a smaller friendly hotel within easy access to the beautiful sights of this incredible city.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Carolyn008
Reviewed July 20, 2013

This place is a great value - great location, clean, beautiful building. The staff is very nice and also speaks English.

We arranged a car/van pick-up from the airport (for a fee), and the driver was safe and professional. We have a young child, and they were able to provide a car seat for her. The car seat was clean and the appropriate size. [We were a little surprised that there was no chest clip (though it was still a 5-point harness). Later we realized that this was the norm/standard in Hungary (compared to the US).]

Breakfast was a nice, varied spread with lots of filling choices (proteins, non-sweet carbs, etc.). There is a computer with internet in the breakfast room that guest can use for free.

We had a bright, spacious room on the fourth floor that had a room-size air conditioner (controlled with a remote). There was no extra fee for using it. Our room had a garden tub in addition to a shower.

The bed was comfortable and typical (same as our other pension beds on our trip) - mattress, bottom sheet, two pillows, and two duvet-covered individual-size comforters. They were also able to provide a "Pack 'n' Play"-style portable crib.

To get into the building, you are buzzed in. Then you have a key for your room.

When we checked out, we were able to use a credit card and were charged the previously-arranged rate.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family