“Corinthia Hotel”

Corinthia Hotel Budapest
Ranked #17 of 336 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed July 24, 2013

Very nice hotel to stay,not to far from the city centre you can walk , take a taxi,tram or bus.We enjoy to walk and see all the places and shops on the way.On a Sunday there are Markets in small squareson the way down to town.

Room Tip: Not near the side street at night alot of noise
1  Thank Reana G
ThomasMFischer, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded July 26, 2013

I would like to take the opportunity to thank you for having chosen the Corinthia Hotel Budapest for your stay. I am really pleased to read that you had a great time here. Thank you for your recommendation. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again at our Hotel in the not too distant future. Warm regards,
Thomas M Fischer

Write a ReviewReviews (7,543)

Reviewed July 24, 2013

This is a truly great hotel from the old days. During soviet days this hotel was used as an administrative building and was not looked after properly. It is now restored to it's former glory and the Glory it is.
From the front door to the bathroom you cannot find anything wrong in it and having breakfast amplifies the feeling of greatness tenfold. I wish I stayed there for a couple of weeks not a couple of days so I could taste all the nice things were laid out for the breakfast.
However I managed to find a small deficiency - our room was facing inwards over a small covered courtyard which had a little cafe downstairs. Because the courtyard was covered opening windows did not bring the fresh air in and AC was not working full power probably because it was still not a summer time. Because of that sleep quality was somewhat affected but it still did not spoil overall impression.
Stay there if you have a choice.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank levr7

My sincerest thanks for your review of the Corinthia Hotel Budapest. I am delighted to read that you were satisfied with our hotel. Thank you for your nice words about our hotel, staff and services. I do hope that we will have the pleasure to welcome you back in the not too distant future. Yours faithfully,

Reviewed July 23, 2013

I was on a cross country European Trip with a friend and we made a quick stop in Budapest. We saw this hotel on a hotel brokers website and had to jump on the offer.

This is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in. From Hotels in New York, San Francisco, Prague, Londong, etc...this one takes the cake and especially for the price.

The Staff was incredibly friendly and spoke fluent English. They were very knowledgeable about the city, transporation, places to dine, and places to go out and party. They helped secure transporation to the airport, made reccomendations on times to leave, and were a true gem.

The Spa....Holy mother of Jesus...was amazing! After a week of running with the bulls in Spain a few foot massages and hot baths were needed. The pools were great, the saunas, steam rooms, and staff were great. I received one of the better massages I've had here....the price was a bit steep but well worth the money.

The location is ok but you will find yourself walking quite a bit if you'd like to see sites. They are located about 2 blocks from the main metro so that does help.

A few things that were annoying: Early Construction (probably would have been fine but we'd get back at 4AM), prostitutes lingering outside (again this was only around 4-6AM, which you'd find in a lot of cities). However it was weird when they just walked on in even with the declines we gave.

I would reccomend the Airbus if you are going to the airport. They will help set this up and is quite a bit less expensive.

This hotel is one reason why I will be visiting Budapest again. I would highly reccomend

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends

I would like to thank you that you have honored Corinthia Hotel Budapest for your Budapest stay. I appreciate your mentioning about the attentive service provided by our staff. Thank you for your kind words aboutthe Royal Spa. This kind of reviews give us always a new inspiration to do all of our bests for our guests. I hope the next opportunity to hosting you in the Corinthia Hotel Budapest. Kindest regards,

Reviewed July 23, 2013

As soon as you enter the hotel, you're amazed by the grandeur of the main hall with the big staircase. Checking in went very smooth, the staff was really friendly and took our luggage to the room while we were waiting in the lobby. Every employee we encountered made small talk with us and it didn't feel 'forced' at all. We stayed in a 3-person apartment which was very spacey and clean, with fast Wi-Fi. I've read some other reviews that mention nightly noise but we didn't hear anything.

We also booked an extra bed for one night as a fourth friend needed a place to stay in the city. This was no problem at all and was arranged within one hour of us asking for it.

The spa was splendid, big with several jacuzzis, saunas and Turkish baths. Too bad the swimming pool was closed for the last two days of our stay because of maintenance.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
ThomasMFischer, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

I cannot thank you enough for your very kind feedback on your recent stay with us. I am most pleased to hear that you had an enjoyable time with us. Thank you for highlighting the Royal Spa. Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back in Budapest soon. Best regards,

Reviewed July 23, 2013

He had a long weekend at Corinthia Hotel Budapest. The location was perfect for shopping, sightseeing and fine dining. The spa at the hotel was wonderful with sauna, large pool, jacuzzis, spa treatments etc. The breakfast was delicious with great variety of tasty items. The rooms were spacious and bed very comfortable with down duvets. :) We enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

I would like to thank you that you have taken the time to share your opinion on Tripadvisor. I am delighted to note that you were satisfied with our staff and services. Thank you for pointing out our spa facilities. I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Corinthia in the future. Very truly yours,

Reviewed July 23, 2013

The hotel is well located and the building and rooms are beautiful but the service standards for this hotel leave much to be desired. Although we stayed with Corinthia Budapest for only two nights on a short weekend trip (and also at Corinthia Lisbon on another weekend trip), we have accumulated enough incidents of bad service at both Corinthia properties to swear off staying at another Corinthia property again. I understand that these isolated incidents do not speak of the entire department but unfortunately it only takes a couple of bad staff to ruin the brand.

I'll just list three of the more significant incidents at Corinthia Budapest below:

1) It was raining heavily on our first day and we saw that the other hotel guests were holding on to borrowed umbrellas from the hotel. Before heading out, we asked the rather senior looking porter manning the reception (he saw us approaching but was on the phone and made us wait for a good few minutes without any eye contact to indicate that he was aware of our presence and the other porters who were standing around the entrance area did not come over to assist) if we could borrow an umbrella. Without even checking, his curt response was "No, all the umbrellas are out on loan".

Just as we were turning around to head out, I saw another guest request and successfully obtain an umbrella from another young porter standing closer to the entrance/exit area so I was surprised that the response we got was in the negative. I decided to ask this young porter for an umbrella and I followed him to the cloakroom where he took my room number and handed me an umbrella (out of the numerous umbrellas which were standing there unused!).

I was quite appalled and went back to the first porter and asked him why he had said there were no umbrellas when they were clearly available. His response was that this umbrella had probably just been returned by a hotel guest. Without wanting to spoil our holiday further, I just responded that it probably wasn't the case as the umbrella was still dry and I walked away (I didn't mention that I had also seen more umbrellas in the cloakroom).

2) Another incident was with the concierge- I had gone to the desk to ask for a city map and the person on duty was on the phone (it sounded like a personal call from the way he was laughing and talking) and he made us wait for a good few minutes without any eye contact even though he was aware of my presence (not unlike the porter mentioned above). After realising that he was not going to end the call any time soon, I decided to just leave.

3) We ordered a Fotaxi to the airport on our day of departure and asked the porter on duty standing outside to inform us when our taxi has arrived while we waited in the lobby area by the entrance (as it was raining outside). We gave him all the taxi details including the arrival time of our taxi (Fotaxi provide all these to you in advance- we recommend them for your airport transfers) and asked him to let us know when our taxi arrived. More than 10 minutes after the scheduled time, we were still waiting and I decided to give Fotaxi a call to follow up, only to find out from the lady at Fotaxi that our taxi had been waiting right outside the hotel for the last 10 minutes. The porter was still standing outside the entrance with the taxi right under his nose but had not bothered to inform us, nor did he acknowledge us as we loaded our luggage into the taxi.

It is not pleasant raking up unhappy memories but I thought it would be useful to share this with other travellers. Do enjoy your trip to Budapest!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank koalaze

Thank you for your comments sent via Tripadvisor, concerning your stay at our Hotel. I have since had an opportunity to review your concerns with the management team at the hotel. I would like to sincerely apologize for the shortfall in the standard of service. Your comments are valuable for us and highlight the areas where we need to focus on in order to gain an excellent guest experience.

Please be assured that your comments have been reviewed with the front office team and expected service behaviours have been reinforced.

We expect our staff to handle all situations with the utmost courtesy, sympathy and helpfulness and we deeply regret the adverse impression you have gained on this occasion.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Corinthia Budapest and better meeting your expectations in the future.

Best regards,

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Our first few hours in this hotel found us very happy. Beautiful entrance, welcoming, efficient staff and a very comfortable, well appointed room. We arrived early evening and unpacked our suitcases and hung our clothing to prepare for a relaxing 3 days in Budapest after a fair amount of traveling. After a late night out we had decided to sleep late and relax for a while before going to explore the city further. Unfortunately we were woken in the morning by loud drilling and hammering that seemed to be coming from the room next door. After enduring this for an hour I called reception who said they will have someone look into it and call me back. Around 20 minutes later the noise was still going and I had still not heard from her. I called reception again and she said there was nothing she could do as it is ongoing maintenance. I was then told to contact front desk as she was only the operator. I was then told they will change our rooms for us but all of the twin rooms are in an area that is undergoing maintenance. They then told me they have a room that will not be noisy. We then had to repack our suitcases to move rooms. I have just returned from front desk who have told me 'hopefully' there will be no noise in the room they have moved us to (which, by the way, is not as nice as the last room), but he could not guarantee it. He told me these are ongoing renovations and will happen every day.
I am wondering why we were not told about this when we booked and when we arrived at the hotel, and why they put us in such a room to begin with.
As stated earlier, the hotel is lovely, but loud drilling noise with little in the way of apology is not acceptable.

Room Tip: Beware when booking twin rooms. Ensure on check in that you are not near maintenance.
2  Thank Sue B

First of all I would like to thank you that you have honored Corinthia Hotel Budapest for your Budapest stay. I appreciate you taking your time to share your experience with all the readers. Please accept my apologies for the disturbance caused. We are continuously investing in our product and at this time the maintenance of the aircondition system at the Conference level was ongoing. I apologize once again. We have, of course, taken up your particular comments with the staff involved to rectify any shortcomings. I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Corinthia and better meeting your expectations in the future.
Best regards,