“What a wonderful find!”

Ranked #18 of 342 Hotels in Budapest
Southport, Lancs
“What a wonderful find!”
Reviewed October 29, 2012 via mobile

My son booked us into the Corinthia as a last minute deal and decided to upgrade us to Executive class. Best thing he ever did as our room was huge and we had access to the Executive club and Spa which made such a difference to our stay! From free breakfasts to lunch and tea time treats with unlimited glasses of their own "champagne" , fine wines, teas, coffee and cocktail hour! We couldn't fault it. The Spa area was beautiful with very warm large pool area, jacuzzi and steam rooms plus the extra treatments at a cost. And one good thing was children were only allowed between 11am and 3pm! Nice gym too. The hotel was spacious and opulent and when we did eat there it was first class. Breakfasts were varied dishes and the staff there were amazing, so ready to serve. The variety of restaurants too made it easy to stay in but Budapest beckoned with its culture and fantastic buildings which were everywhere you chanced to look! Value for money definitely when you ate out. We loved the Hop on hop off bus service which if you were lucky to choose the right one, gave you 3 options and a boat trip included in the cost. Excellent. We particularlt enjoyed the boat trip on the Danube by night taking in the sights ablaze with lights! The river looked romantic and the Royal palace and Castle district looked spectacular by night. Also the Parliament building and the Four Seasons hotel on the river front were a sight to behold. We walked all over the city and were glad we had 4 days to discover it. Please take time to look for the Shoes on the Danube which was located about 7 minutes walk from the Four Seasons hotel as it was a moving memorial to the Jews who had been shot and thrown into the river. The shoes were immortalised in metal to preserve the sight. Also the Paris cafe in the Alexander book shop was a total surprise. Wonderful ceiling and frescoes with a superb goulash soup! It's on Andrassy avenue. Then the New York cafe is a must. It's incredible. Also with amazing frescoes! Can't get enough of the ceilings. All in all we loved Budapest even with grey skies and will go home with fond memories of the warmth of the people and the history of the place.

• Stayed October 2012
5 Thank bridge_sighs
ThomasMFischer, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Thank you very much for your positive review. I am really pleased to read that you have a great stay with us. Thank you for your high recommendation.I truly hope we will have the pleasure of seeing you back soon. Kindest regards,
Thomas M Fischer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,076)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
North East
Reviewed October 29, 2012

Our first impressions of the Corinthia were good ones - extremely grand frontage and interiors and impeccable decor. Our room - supposedly we'd been upgraded - was less impressive - dark and longer than wide with a very nice bathroom.
The faults with this hotel is the small details - from staff who were ill informed and gave us bad information to the unbelievable rude woman in the executive lounge who dismissed us when we wandered in there by mistake. That alone would ensure that we would never, ever go back to stay.
The tv is a bit of a joke too - about three English language channels one of which is completely out of synch all the time and the other where it keeps loses its signals. With an afternoon to spare we decided to take advantage of the in-house movie - one hour in and the film froze and we had to give it up as a bad job.
The hotel themselves admitted their tv system is appalling - which begs the question, if you know that , why don't you fix it?
The spa is very nice and not busy and the breakfasts were first class, but minor gripes spoilt our stay.

Room Tip: ask for an upgrade!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
ThomasMFischer, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thank you for your feedback received during your recent stay at Corinthia Budapest.

I am glad to note that you were impressed by the frontage and interiors of the building.

I was also disappointed to read your comments regarding a staff member’s attitude in handling your concerns at the Executive Lounge. Please be assured that your comments have been reviewed and expected service behaviours have been reinforced.I do hope that you will look upon this breakdown as a one off and not indicative of the customer care we wish to provide at all times.

I am truly sorry that you had issue with the tv set and I do apologise for this inconvenience. We are continuously investing in our product when we refurbishing our guest rooms and we would like to inform you that all the tv sets will be changed by the end of November 2012 and also the same time we will renew the channel system as well.

I appreciate your constructive comments, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future.

Copenhagen
Reviewed October 28, 2012

We stayed in Corunthis Hotel Budapest for autumn holiday and it was great hotel with executive lounge benefits, but even more- their spa is fabulous;-) Loved it! You can choose from many spa treatments. Kids have access to pool 11-15 which was mazbe not the best time but cool as well.

Room Tip: The higher floor. the better...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank LaDolceVita1310
ThomasMFischer, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you very much for your kind and positive review. I am really pleased to read that you have a great stay with us. I truly hope we will have the pleasure of seeing you back soon.
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2012

I stayed recently for my honeymoon. The Corinthia is a beautiful hotel with excellent standard of service and quality rooms. The beds were very comfortable, and the room was quiet. The spa in particular had good facilities and was spotlessly clean. The buffet breakfast offers a vast selection of options. We did not have our evening meals in the hotel but did spend some time in the bar for cocktails! I would highly recommend the hotel for excellent quality at a very reasonable price, and well worth the money. The tram stop is only a very short walk away, and the metro just a little further (5 mins) and the public transport system is great. And Budapest is of course a stunning city and particularly beautiful at night.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SJJ21
I am truly delighted to know that you had a nice honeymoon at the Corinthia Hotel Budapest. Thank you for your high rating and the kind words. I truly hope we will have the pleasure of seeing you back soon.
Monmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2012

We arrived having booked a junior suite and were upgraded to a deluxe suite which was good. However, it is far too NOISY and for this alone I couldn't stay here again. The tram ran a few feet from the window of our room and we did not sleep well for our entire stay. Some rooms do not face the road and perhaps these do not suffer from this excessive noise. Having read the other reviews we booked a room with Executive Club benefits, which I would thoroughly recommend. As other reviews, the health club is very good - just the times did not suit us - I completely understand the need for an adult only time, but 11-3 only for children was a bit awkward for us. We also found the hotel not central enough in the city and too far away from the attractions we wanted to see, next time we would stay nearer the Danube. However, the metro was close by as was - unfortunately - the tram! Staff were excellent and extremely polite and helpful.

Room Tip: Make sure you do not choose a room on the road.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
ThomasMFischer, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, October 27, 2012
Thank you very much for having taken the time to post your review on Trip Advisor.

I am also sorry to learn that your stay was disturbed by the noise and made it difficult for you to rest. For your comfort in the future, please be advised that hotel staff are available around the clock to assist guests with any issues that may arise; and this instance may have been able to offer you an alternative room to ensure you a more comfortable stay.

For your information we are the closest 5 star hotel to the Opera House and to Heroes Square and the City Park. We are also close to the shops and restaurants in the city and we are just a short walk to the city centre and the Danube river. The area - where the Hotel located - is at the heart of the city and it is safe, just like in other big European capitals. In order to keep the relaxing ambiance of our Spa, please note that children under the age of 16 are allowed to use the Royal Spa every day only between 11:00 am and 3:00 pm.

Thank you for the kind words about hte Executive Club services.I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Corinthia in the future.
Kind regards,
gva
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Thi is a large hotel, completely renovated with large rooms and only friendly staff. The facilities are great (do not miss the pool) with a fitness center to loose the weight accumulated due to the wonderful deserts. You cannot go wrong. Thanks you for reading my 200 character minimum review.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Bardozi
ThomasMFischer, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
I cannot thank you enough for your very kind feedback on your recent stay with us. I am really pleased to read that you had a great stay with us. I truly hope we will have the pleasure of seeing you back soon.
General manager
Baltics
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Came back from this interesting (!) hotel and it is quite difficult to summarise my feelings, because they really are contradictional! First impression - wow! Amazing and aristocratic decor and architecture, like a chateau! Very impressive, quick and polite check-in. Extra-class dining. Comfortable bed and ironing equipment in the room. Bathrobe and slippers. Good location.
But.... paper-thin walls - I could wade in a altercation in next room; smoking is allowed in the room on 5th&6th floors; some rooms have windows facing inside the hotel - so be prepared! Big disappointment (5-star hotel!) was for me, that in check-out I was asked to pay for a beer from minibar, what I have not used! Fortunately they believed me, but I have never in Europe high class hotels had such situation before. Card payments in souvenir shop and in bars were not possible - only cash. I understood, in shop it is a rule, in bar it was accidental and as I already had my cappuccino, it was given as complimentary - a nice touch! All in all - interesting experience!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your honest feedback. Your comments are valuable for us and highlight the areas where we need to focus on in order to gain an excellent guest experience.

I am glad to read that you were amazed by our hotel's architectural beauty and thank you for the kind words about the dining facilities and our location.

We still provide limited number of smoking rooms, on 6th floor. Non of those rooms are facing inside the Hotel. Rest of the rooms are non smoking.
We do encourage our guests to be respectful and do not smoke in a non smoking room, though you will appreciate that it is not always possible to control.

I am really sorry to learn about the issue of minibar billing. I offer my sincere apologies for this mistake. I do hope that you will look upon this breakdown as a one off and not indicative of the customer care we wish to provide at all times.

I hope we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Corinthia Budapest and better meeting your expectations in the future.