“Nice Looking Hotel, with a couple of flaws.”

Corinthia Hotel Budapest
Ranked #20 of 333 Hotels in Budapest
Lancashire, United Kingdom
“Nice Looking Hotel, with a couple of flaws.”
Reviewed June 6, 2012

This is a great looking hotel and the public areas are stunning, luxurious and representative of the best bits of the city. There is a real old school look and feel about the place, which is why my wife & picked the hotel from a choice of the Boscolo, Le Meridien & Intercontinental. The big problem is that the rooms aren`t 5 star. We booked an Executive Boulevard Queen room, which was big (ish) and comfortable, but there was no “wow” to be had from the room. The toiletries weren`t of the standard I would expect from a 5 star, nor was the old style TV, but these are minor quibbles. The pillows were fresh air, with no pillow options listed, but this was resolved when firmer pillows were requested from the Reception in the Executive Lounge. On the subject of the Executive Lounge, this is a No-Brainer if you are thinking of an upgrade. Breakfast was good (the hot options not so good), the lunch and canapés on offer were also good. If you like a tipple this upgrade more than pays for itself, with 2-3 different wines on offer, 3 types of(Hungarian) Champagne, local Beers and Cocktails in the evening. A discreet tip to the staff in the lounge meant that drinks never ran dry and my wife’s preferred cocktail was never any trouble. The hotel is a good 25 minute walk from the river, with the Sofitel and Intercontinental being right on the quayside, but both are very ugly hotels by comparison. Would I stay here again, probably not. Le Meridien is that much closer to downtown, looks very pretty and the price is comparable. If the guest rooms were updated in The Corinthian it could be a true 5 star.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the Executive rooms !Use the Hotel airport transfer service.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
ThomasMFischer, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Thank you for posting your comments about your recent stay. I am delighted to read that you were satisfied with our hotel and staff. Thank you for highlighting some disadvantages of our hotel. We will work on it to correct it. I do hope to welcome you back in the near future in Budapest.
Thomas M Fischer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,099)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 6, 2012

I stayed here from 28th May until 1st June with five friends all celebrating our 60th birthdays.this year.
We enjoyed the facilities of the Executive Lounge during our stay. The hotel is very centrally located and within walking distance of the fabulous Opera House and many other attractions,
The staff of the hotel could not do enough for us.
The rooms allocated were quiet and the beds most comfortable. We enjoyed eating in the Atrium Dining area and the Rickshaw reasaurant
ALL IN ALL AN EXCELLENT EXPERIENCE.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kathy572
Thank you for sharing your experiences regarding your recent stay at the Corinthia Hotel Budapest. I am happy to read that you and your friends celebrated your 60th birthday here and you enjoyed our facilities. Thank you for your kind comments. Hopefully we will be able to welcome you back in Budapest soon. Kindest regards,
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 5, 2012

We stayed here in April and from the moment we entered the exquisitely grand reception area, we enjoyed a truly 5-star experience. We opted for one of the deluxe suites and upgraded so to receive inclusive snacks and drinks throughout the day - which turned out to be a very worthwhile decision as we were able to enjoy use of an exclusive bar area.
The rooms were opulent, tastefully decorated and fully equipped with everything you might need.
The hotel is also situated in the centre of town and you need not walk far to experience the many cultural activities we found Budapest had to offer - inlcuding the incredible Basillica Cathedral and the city's castle. We would highly recommend this hotel to even the most discerning traveller.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Richrara
Thank you very much for your positive review. I am really pleased to read that you have a great stay with us. Thank you for your high recommendation.I truly hope we will have the pleasure of seeing you back soon.
tel aviv
Reviewed June 5, 2012

The hotel room that we've received has a window to inner atrium thus no fresh air supply to the room. The service and the breakfast were excellent.
The hotel located centrally, few minutes walk from the main attractions in pest area. (Opera House, vatci street, the octagon etc.) A little bit expensive for Budapest but really nice hotel.

Room Tip: choose rooms facing to the street (high floors).
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
My sincerest thanks for your review of the Corinthia Hotel Budapest. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future.
Athens
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Although at check-in, the room we had specifically requested was not available, both the front desk and the manager did their very best to find a solution. Finally, they upgraded us to a wonderful suite, with separate living-room, a fabulous bed, nice work-in area and a good-appointed bathroom. Our stay was wonderful.
The staff was extremely kind and polite, the premises of the hotel are 5-star, the Royal Spa was a truly relaxing experience (tried the jacuzzi and one of the massages) and the overall atmosphere was grand. The location could be better, but you can just walk down the Andrassy road, which is really nice, and arrive at the heart of Pest in 10 minutes.
Well done Corinthia for knowing how to please your guests :)

Room Tip: There are smoking rooms only on the 6th floor. If you want to feel like home, do try one of the sui...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank blue7
My sincerest thanks for your review of the Corinthia Hotel Budapest. I am glad to read that you were satisfied with our hotel. Thank you for your recommendation and the nice words about the Royal Spa. I hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back in the not too distant future. Kindest regards,
Geneva
Reviewed June 4, 2012

I stayed for 2 evenings on business. Large room some noise from the road but bearable. If I stay here again I will ask for a room away from the main street. Excellent staff and service hotel has a very decent restaurant.

Room Tip: A room away from the street ( but i am a very light sleeper) so some this would not trouble
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for posting your comments about your recent stay. I am delighted to read that overall you were satisfied with our hotel. Your comments are valuable to us so that we can continue to improve our service and we will investigate the mentioned issues. I do hope to welcome you back in the near future in Budapest.
San Diego
Reviewed June 3, 2012

I booked the Corinthia with high expectations. We had just come in from Prague and stayed at a terrific place with top customer service. We were picked up by the hotel driver from the airport. I think this is a good idea since I did hear that many people get overcharged on this drive from the taxis. We arrived and it was early. We originally booked the apartment. Unfortunately, it was in a different building and was kind of creepy and didn’t feel safe. We are two female friends traveling. The hotel did accommodate us and put us in a suite but it wasn’t without some drama. I am not sure if it was because the FIFA conference was in town and the hotel was busy but the customer service was terrible. We first tried to get tickets to the opera with the concierge. He wanted us to pay in cash with a 25% upcharge! We mentioned it to the lady at the reception and she rolled her eyes and called him. She seemed to be upset and yelled at him in Hungarian. We realized then that this city and this 5 star hotel was sketchy and this was no Prague.

The hotel said our room would be ready at noon. We went off to sightsee. We returned to the hotel at 7pm and our bed was not made and our luggage was not in the room as promised. So I am not high maintenance but this is a 5 star hotel right??? I complained and talked to the manager. We were really tired so it didn’t make the situation any better. He apologized and offered us Champaign but we don’t drink. He gave us a free breakfast on the club level which turned out ok. I told at least three people including the Manager that I write up my hotels on Trip Advisor so anything in this review I told them in person. The hotel is beautiful but the 5th star is for service and this hotel did not deserve the 5th star.

The saving grace of this hotel is the Spa. It is free to guest and has a huge pool, steam and hot tubs. We spent our last day getting some services since the prices are good with the exchange rate. The people were great! It makes me wonder why they were so much better than the hotel.

I do have to note that we did spend some time in the Executive Lounge and they were really nice up there.

The good news is that the hotel is in a decent location, but away from the river. We were near a "Hop on Hop Off" bus stop which we decided would be helpful to take to see the city. It is really big. I recommend this if you are in a time crunch.

We got to go to the opera house. We saw a wonderful ballet. Well worth it. I would buy tickets in advance or go to the box office right when you get in town. It was packed. If you don’t make a show, you can go and get a tour. It is only 10 minutes from the hotel. Finally, we went to the Parliament which is a don’t miss. The English tour was sold out so we went in Spanish. Go early 8 am to get tickets for the 10 am English tour.

I would recommend looking at hotels near the river, the Inner Continental or Marriott. This place was disappointing.

Room Tip: Be sure to be in the main building
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank dogluverSanDiego
ThomasMFischer, General Manager at Corinthia Hotel Budapest, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Thank you for sharing your experiences about your recent visit to the Corinthia Hotel Budapest.
I am very sorry to learn that your were not satisfied with our customer service during your stay.
Following the many excellent comments we receive about our guest services I was surprised to read your comments but will nevertheless ensure that we aspire to a more re consistent standard here for the future.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you have experienced with the Opera tickets. We will follow up this with the team, although it is a normal procedure to charge a service fee for the ticket purchase, specially for a next day event at the State Opera.
Thank you very much for your nice comments about the Royal Spa. I am pleased to learn that our team left such a good impression with you and that you had an enjoyable time there.
I do hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Corinthia Hotel Budapest on a future occasion.