8,075 results
All reviewsexecutive clubroyal spabeautiful hotelexecutive roomrickshaw restaurantsteam roommain restaurantfive star hotelspa facilitiesthe rivertram stopthe air conditioningopera houselong weekendjewish quartercity breakpublic transport
Reviewed January 3, 2008

We stayed at the hotel over new year. We were upgraded on arrival and had a lovely room, with a very comfortable bed, huge bathroom and it was very quiet.

The hotel is very grand and in a good location. The concierge are very helpful and the staff were generally nice. We were lucky because of the upgrade we could use the executive lounge which included breakfast and drinks etc all day.

the spa is very relaxing. A little crowded late in the afternoon but better to go after lunch and it is a more relaxing and quiet experience.

We ate in the Rickshaw restaurant and the Brasserie Royal. Both were good but not outstanding for a 5 star hotel.

Overall we had an excellent stay and very comfortable. I would definitely go back

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
4  Thank SarahLondon_UK
Reviewed January 2, 2008

This hotel already has hundreds of positive reviews, and I'm going to add to the pile. This hotel is fantastic. The staff are wonderful, the building's amazing, the rooms are huge and very high quality, and the food is fantastic. It really is hard to fault this place.

Things are expensive - but this is a 5 star hotel, and you have to expect that. The cheapest beer was about 5 euros (£3.50) - I've paid way more in way worse hotels (every bought a drink in a Hilton?)

Food is similarly expensive, though extremely good. The sushi we had was the best I've ever tasted. And, as we were there over Christmas, the Christmas day brunch was a feast!

Location - Budapest's a large city and as such no hotel can be close to everywhere. I can see why people don't like the location of this hotel as it's not near the touristy Castle area. But I liked it - it's near restaurants, bars, the Opera house, a large shopping centre, and the Terror museum. And public transport will take you anywhere else in minutes.

Trams turn up outside the hotel every few minutes. If you can, get the pass that lets you get all the trains/trams/busses - it makes travelling round the city so easy.

All in all, I really recommed this hotel to everyone!

• Stayed: December 2007
4  Thank Matthew1000
Reviewed January 2, 2008

Firstly, I cannot fault the service or accomodation at the hotel itself. The executive lounge service is fantastic and provided an exclusivity to the visit.

What let down the visit for me was the spa, or more importantly the management of it. For both the 30/31st it was closed due to over crowding on the many times I visited it.

While it was the holiday season, I would have expected better management of this service so that guests could avail of the facility, even for a limited period of time.

Given the hotel sells itself on its spa services, I think the management of guests using the facility at peak times needs to be looked at. Not everyone likes to swim at 9pm at night or 7am in the morning.

Apart from this, I cant fault the visit and would definitely recommend the hotel for service and wow factor.

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank hughtoo
Reviewed January 2, 2008

I travelled with my partner to Budapest and stayed from 23rd to the 28th December (5 nights).

Overall the hotel was of a good standard however personally I had a few issues. Having visited Prague over the xmas period a few years ago we were aware that this part of Europe celebrates Christmas more extensively on 24th Dec than 25th December so it was not a surprise that most shops/restaurants etc would be closed. However for a 5 star hotel I would have expected that more than just the Rickshaw restaurant would be open on Christmas Eve. The bar was open in the hotel also however drinks were horrendously expensive (see other reviews) and for the 2 of us having between us 4 beers, 2 vodka tonics (in bar) followed by the set Thai meal for 1 person plus 2 other small starter and a main set us back total more than £150 - pounds not euros. The bistro was shut the whole week, coffee shop from 2pm xmas eve for a couple days and rickshaw shut also xmas day. So not a lot of choice in the hotel. For xmas day we found a pizza/pasta place open on Andrassy St about 10 mins walk away and some restaurants were also open Vaci Utca near the river and you would prob need a taxi on the evening.

The buffet breakfast had an excellent selection - however the hot bacon/eggs/sausages section etc near the omelette bar was served in stainless steel vats with lift up lids which didn't appear to me to be heated. Consequently every time the lids were left up the food got cold. There wasn't a day when everything from this section was hot so I moved on to having other choices after 2 days.

Our standard room was in the main fine - bathroom large and fairly well maintained (walk in shower a bit grubby) but what put me off slightly was that the bed covering over the sheets was endowed with various other peoples bodily hair and on 2 days my bottom sheet had a spot of blood on (luckily i think as if someone had cut a finger - I hope!) so consequently I had the sheets changed every day.

In terms of location the walk to the chain bridge was approx 20 mins briskly - the quickest route was down Andrassy Street (maps from concierge) . As I have previously seen mentioned on other reviews go out of the main hotel entrance and turn left the shops etc ok. Go right and on the next street round the corner - strip clubs. In the main felt safe walking around however a quick mention; there is a very scary tour guide if you go to Buda castle up the steep hill via the funicular railway. Think he is hungarian with v large moustache - shouted at us when we refused his services (avoid).

Lastly - taxis -OH DEAR. Also very well known but worth a mention - they will all try to scam you. We tried to get one outside our hotel and didn't at first notice the taxi rank down to the left of the entrance. When a cab pulled past we hailed it and got. in. The cab driver from the rank who I think may have been in one of the hotels own cars came and opened the drivers door whilst we were in the back and spoke to our driver and walked off. Our driver then said he couldn't take us - ok obviously they don't like queue jumping but it was a genuine mistake on our part. So we got out as asked and went to the other driver on the rank - got in. Then he turns round and says he is 'busy'. So out we get.
Finally get a taxi to Xmas market and get charged 1500 hun fts not on the meter. Get a different taxi back same distance this time on the meter 3500 hun fts. Double?? MAKE SURE YOU AGREE A PRICE APPROX BEFORE YOU SET OFF : A METER IS NO GUARANTEE OF A FAIR PRICE FOR TOURISTS.
Additionally the airport has an affiliated taxi service-Zona taxis. Get one fron the rank outside airport and you will be charged a fair set price depending on which zone of Budapest you are going to and this is printed on a ticket they will give you at the taxi booth. So after the other experience we decided to ring this service for the return trip back to the airport as also advertised return set zone prices. On ringing (they speak good English) we were quoted a price from our zone of 3500 hun fts.When we got to the airport the taxi driver who had put his meter on tried to charge us 4700. When we said no we had been quoted 3500 he accepted 3500. Funnily enough he didn't get a huge tip.

Stayed: December 2007
7  Thank harleyWorcester
Reviewed December 30, 2007

This is a great hotel for a city break, close to the action but full of relaxation opportunities. The free spa facilities are not to be missed and i would recommend treating yourself to some of the massage treatments. The room was spacious and the bathroom was lovely, big walk in shower and sizable bath, bathrobes, big towels and slippers all provided, as are toiletries. Breakfast was a feast - set you up until the evening, and the hotel bars and restaurants were reasonably priced for a big hotel. Staff very helpful througout our stay. When can i go back? Loved it!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with friends