“Unique hotel”

Danubius Hotel Gellert
Ranked #102 of 336 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Although the interior is slightly dated, that is part of the hotel's charm, and we really enjoyed our stay here. The breakfast was plentiful and delicious, and the staff were extremely helpful. One thing that we didn't like was the way the staff would come and check if there was anything missing from the minibar as soon as we had eaten our breakfast.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
M_Vasony, Guest Relations Manager at Danubius Hotel Gellert, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear HadjGray,

Hereby we would like to thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor website about your recent stay in the Danubius Hotel GELLÉRT. We would also like to catch the opportunity to thank you for having chosen our hotel for your Budapest stay.

We find your feedback very positive, that "interior slightly dated, that is a part of the hotel's charm". We do appreciate your opinion about the plentiful and delicious breakfast and the staff always do everything for the comfort of our guests

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back soon in the Danubius Hotel GELLÉRT!

Guest Relations Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (6,787)

Reviewed July 8, 2013

I've stayed at the Gellert previously, and booked for a second stay for reasons of proximity to my meeting (at the University nearby), availability of a decent rate, and no time to look for alternatives. The Gellert looks magnificent but is tired. The lobby and common areas are in generally better shape than the rooms themselves, which are in need of renovation. Everything worked, but it hasn't been updated for years. I had a room on the fourth floor looking out over the Danube - which was glorious. Somehow I'd arranged a "Superior" room which had a portable air conditioning unit, without which the temperature would be unbearable: it was +38C while I was there. Many rooms at the Gellert are without air conditioning, and in the summer heat you'll really struggle.

What you do get at the Gellert is very attentive service (the staff are good), a good breakfast buffet, a great spa and a beautiful old building. What would be nice to have is air conditioning and rooms that don't quite look like the 1970s, but presumably this will come. I'd not stay at the Gellert again in the summer; in the height of winter I'd consider it.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor. In the summer, try to book a superior room with air conditioning o...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
M_Vasony, Guest Relations Manager at Danubius Hotel Gellert, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Dear Pandoras_chocolates,

We are pleased that you have chosen to stay in our hotel a second time too.We thank you for your time and review on TripAdvisor.We appreciate your kind remarks about our "attentive staff ,a good breakfast buffet,a great spa and a beautiful building "

Yes we all know that we are in need of a renovation and the temperature is sometimes unbearable,the portable air conditioning unit is not effective in the large rooms.

The owners and the management has already prepared the refurbishment plans of the GELLÉRT, however due to the global crisis at present we do not have the information when the renovation will start.

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in a cooler period by the end of September the weather is more agreable.

Reviewed July 7, 2013

This place is unique. Really, it is quite sexy to be in a place where the clock stopped. Unfortunately, the clock in the Gellert hotel stopped in the mid-1980s, at the peak of the Soviet area. So it seems, at least.

No, Budapest is not Russia. Quite, quite different from the Russian cities I have seen---not many, mind you. My hotel room---I insisted on a (paid) upgrade, as the outside temperatures did not warrant an AC-free room with the sun shining in all day---is large. And quiet, when the balcony doors are shut and the AC is off.

There you go: the AC is a large stand-alone machine, blowing cold air in the room with a noise that is worse than the heat; better sleep on a truck. The balcony might fall off any minute. The carpet, also original 1980s, so it seems. As are the curtains, the furniture, and anything else in the room. Probably the AC, too!

The hotel room allows for one free trip in the spa. The spa is not very large, is in the same state of disrepair as the hotel (that's a bit unfair, it is in fact better). As I do not like spas, I'd better not comment much more on this issue, though.

The price category of the hotel, between 50 and 100 a night, attracts many tourists, and the breakfast room is very crowded. But it's ok. The quality of the food matches the rest of the hotel, but service is lovely. This also holds for the reception: service is slow---hindered by rules and regulations---but people try to help, and can.

So, summing up: cool. Freaky. Terrible. Poor. Interesting. Go there. Stay away. Oh... I hear there is a renovated wing, too. Might be interesting to see.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank padgoute

Dear Padgoute,

Thank you for taking the time to share your comments on TripAdvisor about your recent stay in the Danubius Hotel GELLÉRT. We are pleased that you have chosen to stay in our hotel.We were sorry to read your rather negative comments on the state of your room.

We appreciate your positive comments "breakfast room is OK...the service is lovely,..this also holds for the reception " I personally have enjoyed your first sentences :"the place is unique,..really it is quite sexy to be in a place where the clock stopped " -thank you!

We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you again in the renovated wing,yes as you put it "might be interesting to see"

Sincerely

Reviewed July 1, 2013

I have just arrived and checked in to a Double Room. If I had not pre paid I would check out immediately. The price that you pay is unacceptable for the condition of the hotel and the rooms. I saw a better room for Euros 15 per night more but out of principle for what I have already paid I could not justify giving more money to somewhere I was already being ripped off.

The hotel is in a great location but Other hotels are just as accessible for similar prices and in far far better condition. Don't be disappointed on your vacation. Dominic Carr

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Dominic C
M_Vasony, Front Office Manager at Danubius Hotel Gellert, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2013

Dear Mr Carr,

I have just read your comments. It important for us the gather information from our guests even the negative ones. Thus we will be able to improve our services in the future.
As I have said before there is no denying our property needs refurbishment. The plans are already in place, so this will be done in the not to distant future.
I am sorry we did not meet during your stay so I could have offered you some amenities to make your stay more pleasant.
May I ask you to write to me before your next visit to Budapest and I will offer you an upgraded room availability permitting.

Kind regards,

Lajos IMRE
Front Office Manager
lajos.imre@danubiushotels.com

Reviewed July 1, 2013

Yes the Gellert's bedrooms are in need of refurbishment, but ours was clean and properly serviced each day. The hotel is not a new building so it's inevitable that it has more character and less uniformity than other, more bland, chain hotels.
The public areas are well kept and include stunning stained glass on the staircase, a coffee shop selling lovely cakes (to a Liszt accompaniment by the resident pianist), and wood panelling everywhere you look. Good choice at breakfast, including made to order omelettes if you wish. The standard coffee is very bland, but better ones are available at a price!
It is really important that you look for deals on room prices, the rack rate for our room was nearly £200 which was absurd. We paid £180 for three nights including breakfast - search around.
Opinions seem to be divided about which rooms are best, we enjoyed the view over the river and Liberty Bridge from our room, traffic noise did not bother us at all, but if it may bother you ask for a room at the back - but you'll miss the river view!

Room Tip: Look for deals!
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wren104

Dear Wren104,

Thank you for the feed-back on your stay at our Danubius Hotel Gellért. It is always valuable to receive such information.
Our property is not a new one indeed. Luckily some people look for the more traditional style, while some others prefer new, state of the art buildings.
We try to keep our hotel in the best possible shape, but there is no denying we need some refurbishment which is already planned and not far away in time.
It was nice to read that you had a good time in the Gellért and you noticed the nice things such as the stained glass windows and our own pianist at the coffee shop where the cake are really tasty by which we would like to make everybody’s stay even more pleasant.

Best regards,

Lajos IMRE
Front Office Manager

Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

The Gellert Hotel is on the Pest side of the river, an easy walk to the central market, national museum or indeed most of the main city. There are trams running right to the door (no. 14,). This makes life easy, the sites on the Pest side are all within a walk... Or climb as the casesy be. As for the hotel itself, it is am aging lady, but then so am I we understood each other. The staff was very kind to me. On one occasion I asked directions to the Herend factory by train. One of the desk attendants took the time to look up the schedules. When I returned, successfully having made it to the factory, he greeted me warmly and said, I see you made it back! The rooms for singles are tiny but it was enough. The TV had several languages and it was easily worked. The breakfast, which was included, was super, the waitress's there was friendly and obligeing. Included also was a trip to the gellert spa.(the Spa has it's own entrance to the hotel). It is a bit of a fiddle to find the spa, and to navigate the rooms for hot and warm water but what fun it all was. Beautiful really, water coming from lions mouths, not many people, ideal really. I also used the beauty salon for manicure and facial. Both excellent. The Swedish massage from the beauty salon I would not do, I'd try one from the spa instead. I also tried the Thai massage from the spa it was wonderful. I liked the hotel very much and would recommend it highly.

• Stayed: June 2013
M_Vasony, Guest Relations Manager at Danubius Hotel Gellert, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Dear Truffie,
Thank you for sharing your experiences on your recent stay in our Danubius Hotel GELLÉRT on TripAdvisor website. .Many thanks for your positive words on our hotel and on our spa.It was a pleasure to learn from your comments that you had an overall positive impression of the Gellért,its location as well as the friendliness of our staff.
We are pleased that you have chosen to stay in our hotel despite "mixed reviews made me unsure of this choice ".Many thaks for your praise on our breakfast and for writing:" the waitress's there was was friendly and obligeing" We were also happy to read your kind and very positive comments about our spa section,the manicure and facial,and the Thai massage.
We do look forward in welcoming you soon in the hotel GELLÉRT!

With very best regards,
Guest Relations Managers

Reviewed June 27, 2013

Originally booked in at the Danubius Spa on Margarets island we were horrorfied to learn at the airport that the island was closed because of the flooding of the Danube. Full marks to the Danubius and Expedia organisation for whisking us off instead to the hotel Gellert in Buda. We found the hotel excellently positioned a short tram or a pleasant 20 min walk to the city centre.
The rooms were spacious,clean and comfortable. The furnishings were a bit worn and the cupboards in need of replacement but the beds were good and comfortable. We enjoyed the meal in the bistro good value but the breakfasts were poor and overpriced at £14 .The staff were helpful , pleasant and attentive. We used them to book trips and a hire car it was very convenient to use their services. The spa was wonderful and not too expensive with the hotel discount

Room Tip: Try and get a room overlooking the woods under the liberty statue-quieter and pleasant provided no d...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Laurie 1935,
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a comment about our Danubius Hotel GELLÉRT. We are pleased that you have chosen to stay in our hotel and your opinion on our services is of utmost importance. We have understood from your remarks,that you easily accepted the change because of the flood from the Danubius Thermal hotel Margitsziget to the Gellért, hotel. We appreciate your kind comments like "the rooms were spacious clean and comfortable ....the beds were good and comfortable....we enjoyed the meal in the bistro,good value..The staff were helpful,pleasnt and attentive. "
We do hope to welcome you back at the GELLÉRT during your future stasy in Budapest.

Sincerely yours,