“Couple pluses, couple minuses”

Leonardo Hotel Budapest
Ranked #134 of 334 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed July 18, 2014

Pluses: Excellent location, close to Raday and Vaci street.Has garage but quite expensive (17€/night) Staff is polite, room is pretty big and. Bed was comfortable, but bathroom is bit worn (stayed in room 617).
Minuses: despite of advertised free high speed internet it is really slow...can't look at a video or download anything. Probably good for browsing only. Air conditioner is an old equipment, loud and does not really provides cool air. Turned on at 22.00 and cooled down somewhat by 04.00. Breakfast is usual continental, but with less options and room is heavyly crowded when hotel is close to full.

Room Tip: Choose rooms with looking at the park.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Andras K, Front Office Manager at Leonardo Hotel Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2014

Dear Denes222,

Thank you for your valued feedback; every review is important for us as it allows us to look at our Hotel with guest’s eyes and helps us to detect areas need to be improved, finally to reach our ultimate goal:guest satisfaction.
We are more than happy to read, that we could add a bit to make your Budapest stay memorable and enjoyable.

Reviewed July 17, 2014

We just stayed at this hotel for a few days away with our son who is 22month. We had room 605 and, this is on the top floor at the front of the hotel. The room was clean and tidy and made up every day. You could hear a little noise from outside at night but it’s not that bad. We requested a cot for our son and this was in the room ready, my son had a good night’s sleep so must have been a good cot.

We had food in the Hummus Bar on the first day this was very good and a good price. We had breakfast on one of the mornings and was disappointed with this. Most of the hot food was cold and not worth the €10 each, the pastries for breakfast were nice and that was about it. As we were in a rush we did not have time to tell the reception desk, we informed them when we check out and they say they would have a talk to the chef.

I was a little disappointed to find out that no coffee or tea was supplied in the room, I like to have a coffee when getting ready in the morning. We had a kettle and 2 mugs in the room, so when I asked at reception, I was told this is not supplied as guests don’t want this. I was told I have to pay for this at the bar or bring my own. I have never stayed at a hotel before were coffee and tea was not supplied.

Would we stay at this hotel again! YES we would, we would not have breakfast and would see that I take coffee, sugar and get milk from the shop over the road.

Room Tip: Take your own Coffee and Tea as this is not Supplied.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
Andras K, Front Office Manager at Leonardo Hotel Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2014

Dear Adrian H,

Your opinion is important and has a big vale for us, I will forward them to the right department to search for possibilities of supply the demands.

Reviewed July 5, 2014

We stayed here during a medical retrieval with the air ambulance service. Friendly and helpful staff. Rooms were fairly small but beds were comfortable. My room was right above the entrance and fairly loud. People next door were noisy, too. Location was good, 5 minute walk to Danube river.
No breakfast included. Many shops nearby.

Room Tip: Stay away from the entrance...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
Andras K, Front Office Manager at Leonardo Hotel Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2014

Dear our Guest, usuallyscubadoc!

Our Buffet Breakfast is available for all of our Guests; to be included or not in the room price is upto the reservation, and how it was selected. In case of any kind of room change request the Reception is trying to find the best solution available at the time, please do not hasitate to turn to the Reception with your demands.

Reviewed July 5, 2014

Spent two nights in this hotel with a big group of friends. The hotel is very average (cleanliness, service, rooms, breakfast buffet etc) but stands out for location. Tucked away in a quiet street next lined with cafe/ bars, convenience stores and a nearby garden, the hotel is very easily accessible to all the main tourist attractions. Walking was our preferred mode of transport and we never found ourselves more than a 40-minute walk away.

The room's curtains were not sufficiently dark and that proved a huge inconvenience for me as I need complete darkness to get decent sleep.

We were a large cycling team and the management was very accommodating allowing us to stow away our massive bike luggage in the storage space behind the reception counter - definitely made our lives easier in that respect! thank you :)

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends

Dear our Guest, Yosra K,

I forwarded your opinion about the black-out curtains, and I am sure we will check the possibilities.

Your opinion is a big motivation for our Hotel Team members to continue with the efforts, thank you for it!

Reviewed July 2, 2014

Great hotel at great price, close to the center. Room was clean and spacious.
Only two things were not great:
1) Internet - really bad
2) Coffee at breakfast. One of the worst coffees I got in Budapest.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Andras K, Front Office Manager at Leonardo Hotel Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded July 5, 2014

Dear PPPP1,

We cansider your experiences and will look for way of improvement.

Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

Hi all,

I am not really a review writer, that's what I'd like to say first. I am compelled to write a review because I am so dissatisfied with my stay at this hotel, I need to lose my frustration on the Internet and never think about it again!

The hotel claims to be a 4-star hotel, so naturally, I looked forward to my nights here. Upon entering the hotel for the first time, I thought it smelled weird, just like a really busy tube station in Budapest, warm, moist and not too pleasant. I got my room passes from the reception and proceeded to my much looked forward to room, still having hope that my room at least would be luxurious. After getting out of the super small elevator I walked down the (again warm and not so fresh) hallway, losing my hope. I opened the door and found myself a worthless corner of the building with a bed that took all the space of the room and the window open so even my '4 star room' was warm and oxygen - less. I got mad but I thought it was my own fault, we should not believe the pictures these hotels put on their websites. I have stayed at quite a few hotels but this was absurd. The bed was highly uncomfortable, the fridge was empty and turned off (in a 4 star? Usually it's filled with stuff I can buy). There were no plug points in the room except for one box of external plug points lying on the plastic floor. The bathroom was so small, I did not have any space to dry myself. The sound isolation is pathetic, I could even hear people walk in the hallway.

There were no water machines to be found in the building, so only the nasty tap water was available since the supermarkets in Budapest don't even sell water without sparkle.

I can go on and about this hotel but I am actually feeling a bit better so ill keep it short and sweet now:

Avoid this hotel if you are used to quality, waste of your hard earned pennies. After an unpleasant stay they still charge you with a daily room tax, are you s**tt*ng me?

Over and out!

4  Thank Mistahlilg
Andras K, Front Office Manager at Leonardo Hotel Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2014

Dear Mistahlilg,

Thank you for your valued feedback; every review is important for us as it allows us to look at our Hotel with guest’s eyes and helps us to detect areas need to be improved, finally to reach our ultimate goal: guest satisfaction.
We are sorry about your experiences, and let me take your oppinions as suggestions for improvements.
In our Hotel we have a Grab & Go Bar for our guests satisfaction, and all can collect the own choice to store in the rooms fridge.
The fridge is always on in all rooms, as it is connected to an electric outlet which is not depending of your room card been inserted to the slot or not.
The municipality of Budapest had decided about the City Tax (so called local-tax or tourist-tax) to be collected from every and each guest; it is not possible to include this in the room price as the VAT and unfortunately a lot of reservation agencies are not distributing this information toward the guests.
In case you would inform me about your room number and stay date, I would be able to investigate your experiences as deep as possible.

Reviewed June 8, 2014

We stayed 4 nights.staff helpful but this is a badly managed hotel.breakfast is the same low quality each day with, for example brick solid scrambled egg cooked in rancid butter making it indelible.rolls are fresh only every other . On alternate days they are seved up reheated, stale and rock hard. In no way is this place a four star standard.
Since beginning of May we have stayed at Leonardo Hotel in Bruges, Budapest and Vienna.only in Budapest did we experience such a low standard . It is a management problem, the Group should retrain their Hungarians in their own hotels even, especially Vienna and then might stand a chance of raising standards. What happened to the membership privileges? Only in Vienna did this happen. Also their website does not mention the huge overnight car parking charges

Room Tip: Over-rated. Very low standard when compared to others in their own group. Don't bother with brea...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Richardjluke
Andras K, Front Office Manager at Leonardo Hotel Budapest, responded to this reviewResponded June 9, 2014

Dear Mr. Luke,

Thank you for your valued feedback; every review is important for us as it allows us to look at our Hotel with guest’s eyes and helps us to detect areas need to be inproved, finally to reach our ultimate goal: guest satisfaction.
We are honestly sorry about your disappointment of our breakfast service, we are going to looking for the possibilities of improvement on breakfast items and also will organize interdepartmental trainings.
Your opinion has a big value for our Hotel Team members to continue with the efforts, thank you for it!
As I checked your reservation, I did not find any sign about your ADVANTAGE Club Membership, although your reservation was made by our Website. Please, at your next reservation indicate your membership ID, than the Hotel will be aware your member status, it might be done also at the check-in process. Anyway I am going to make sure to obtain the points for you.
After you mentioned to me about the missing information of the Garage price, I immediately reported it to the Operation Manager in order to correct the information. In your particular case, as I remember we found a way which was with your satisfaction as well.