“Nice hotel”
Review of Hotel Mediterran

Ranked #88 of 332 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Nice hotel, a few kilometres from center, buses go every five or ten minutes.

Breakfast is good and tasty, rooms are clean, good service. We were from 21.9. to 24.9. One small remark is full mini bar with drinks from hotel and we couldn' t put anything in it. Bathroom is clean too. Free Wi Fi and fast internet connection were great. The beds are confortable except pillows but we read later that we could change it.

In large, our vacation in Mediterran was very good! ;)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Andrej C
HotelMediterran, Manager at Hotel Mediterran, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Dear Andrej C,

Thank you for your review and for sharing your positive experience about Hotel Mediterran! I am happy that you have had a nice vacation in Budapest, and hope to welcome you soon again in our Hotel!

There are newer reviews for Hotel Mediterran

Reviewed September 17, 2013

I checked reviews of this hotel after my wife booked our break away there and one review filled me with terror it was so negative. On arrival I found a nice intimate, comfortable hotel with friendly helpful staff. I was pleasantly surprised after reading such a negative review and could happily return there in the future

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank tom b
HotelMediterran, Manager at Hotel Mediterran, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Dear tom b,

Thank you for your kind review! I am very happy that you have had a pleasant surprise and our service made your feel satisfied during your stay in Budapest! I hope to welcome you and your wife again soon in our Hotel Mediterran!

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Hotel Mediterran is a little place few kilometres from city center. I did not mind about location since buses go straight to centrum in approx. every 5 mins and bus ride only takes 5min and you can find few decent restaurants in the neighborhood. Service was fantastic - Mr Wolf in reception was most helpful in any queries and needs, special thanks to him! Rooms were clean and beds ok - Definitely not four star place but compared to money, very very good value. Our vacation in Mediterran was very nice!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Mark V
HotelMediterran, Front Office Manager at Hotel Mediterran, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Dear Mark V,

Thank you very much for your kind words! I am really happy that you appreciate our service! I hope we can welcome you again in our exciting city soon!

Gabor Wolf
Front Office Manager

Reviewed August 28, 2013

I can honestly say this is one of the worst hotels I have ever stayed in. The 4 star rating is a complete joke and needs to be reviewed. The plaster was falling off the front of the reception foyer, service was a completely no-existent concept, the beds were like dormitory issue and the road noise was very uncomfortable. I could not honestly recommend this hotel to anyone.

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank Mark A
HotelMediterran, Manager at Hotel Mediterran, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Dear Mark A,

Despite your negative opinion I would like to thank for your feedback! The plaster at the reception ceiling came down cause unfortunately we had a broken pipe on the first floor and the water came down, damaging the ceiling . We repair the ceiling immediately. I'm sorry to hear that the traffic noise disturbed you in your sleep. I can recommend our garden view rooms which are completely free from traffic noise.

Wishing you all the best!

Reviewed August 14, 2013

When I read review that are very good and terrible it can be confusing but having read them can understand.

The hotel is about 1 -.5 miles from the Bridge to the City centre , I recommend getting a three day travel pass ASAP as this is extremely handy , the trams outside will take you to join up with the Underground system.Buses stop at about 11pm
Staff were helpful ; some more than others and English is spoken ( esp. the night attendant who was very helpful)

We arrived at the hotel by cab from airport ( about 20 euros fixed fare) to be told that the AC was not working and they did not know when it would be repaired ( it had been down for a while) there was no real offer of an mobile AC though the weather was very hot.
Given a twin despite asking for a double; rooms are pleasant and clean though only one very thin foam pillow; room safe was broken.
All bathroom utilities worked well

We were compelled to sleep with the window open , which with the traffic noise meant we had little sleep past 0500 hrs, when I guess the trams start.
We were offered a free breakfast, as compensation but after having it once did not bother again ( even though free) as it was poor.

AC was never repaired and after asking again were given a faulty fan which was so noisy it could not be used. Lighting went down in dining area.
In short, this needs money spent on it to bring the infrastructure and catering up to 3 star ( I have no idea how it got 4 stars but this brings the system into disrepute!).
If you are going to Budapest do not miss the Gellit Spa and give yourself at least 4 hours there, it was worth the trip alone.
Would not stay there again

Room Tip: Stay at the rear, it is next to a major road and tram stop which is very noisy
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MartofWinch

Dear MartofWinch,

Thank you for your comment here on tripadvisor!
I think the major part of your dissatisfaction was caused by the breakdown of our air conditioning system. It was really very invonvenient to face this trouble right in the middle of the hot summer. The failure was caused by a sudden excess voltage by our electric provider and it affected our AC system so badly that many main parts needed to be changed. It took long days to collect these parts and reinstall the system. I am really sorry for all the trouble it caused you! As you mentioned we tried to compensate you, providing free breakfast (which originaly was not included in your roomrate) and mobile fan. I'm sorry that the breakfast did not satisfy your needs. Usualy our guests are pleased with the quality and the selection of our breakfast.
At the same time, I read happily that the staff satisfied your expections! Reflecting on the question of pillow let me mention that different type of spare pillows are available at the reception. So if the original pillow is not convenient enough we are ready to provide another in different size or shape.
Thank you for your review again, which I found very useful. I am sure it will help us to perform better in the future!

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed July 12, 2013

We stayed with this hotel for one night.

When we arrived we got a smoking room which was quite smelly. I asked service to change our room to non-smoking did not book smoking room. The staff was quite helpful and changed the room for us without any issue.

The hotel claims itself to be 4*. I know it depends on the equipment it has but let me be honest here:
- TV very very old CRT (not LCD)
- air conditioning wasn't working properly. we set it up for 5 degrees and it was hot in the room anyway
- beds had something like plastic cover under the bedding so you could hear it anytime you moved and it wasn't much comfortable. I felt like I'm a boy that needs to have bad protected from peeing during night. I was very surprised with this and have never seen this before.
- bathroom wasn't clean enough. There were hairs in the toilet and it also had a toilet paper in it so I had to clean it and flush first in order to be able to use it.
- the room qas quite noisy. I think those plastic windows are not good enough for the location. It is just by very busy street with trams. My sleeping is good so I had no serious issue with this but I can imagine that someone with easy sleeping would not be able to sleep at all.

Summary: this hotel is quite cheap but not what you would expect from 4* hotel. Next time I would rather choose something more cozy with less stars in the name but more clean and with better sleeping comfort (silence and comfortable beds without plastics in bedding)

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Martin J

Dear Martin J,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about our Hotel with tripadvisor readers.
I am sorry for the problem with the air conditioning. We had a very bad system breakdown during your stay, which took us more than a week to solve. (major part of the AC needed to be changed).
The cover between the sheet and the mattress serves hygienic purposes. It is a common way to protect the mattress, and keep it clean.The cover is made of a special hygienic, easy to clean material.
I am sorry that you found the bathroom untidy. This is something that a hotel definitely must pay attention to. The bathroom must be spotles, so I personaly talked to the housekeeping staff to avoid such trouble in the future.
Thank you again for writing your review! This will inspire us to work even harder to satisfy our clients' expectations!

Reviewed July 10, 2013

We very much enjoyed our 5 nights stay here.
The staff was very helpful and friendly and spoke excellent
English. One of the receptionists even said hi to us in Finnish "Terve terve!"
and that always put a smile on our faces :)

Rooms were very nice and clean, although the air conditioning could have been a little better.

Bus stop nearby, Mom park nearby, free wi-fi...all in all, an excellent hotel and a fantastic trip.

Köszönöm!

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jaakko H
HotelMediterran, Manager at Hotel Mediterran, responded to this reviewResponded August 12, 2013

Dear Jaakko H,

Kiitos!,- or in english thank you! - for your very nice words about our staff and Hotel Mediterran! :) I am happy that you had a fantastic trip! Hope you will tell to many of your friends so that they will feel like visiting Budapest too!

Is true, we had some difficulties with the clima system during your stay, but now is all fine! Thank you for your understanding! Wishing you all the best and hope to see you again in Budapest!