Hotel Charles
Buda Base(Budapest)
Hotel Classic(Budapest)
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
All reviewsbus stopdeluxe studiosmall kitchenettebuda sidemini kitchencity centrebuda castlebit datedrecommend this hotelhotel restaurantthe hotel staffair conditioningbudget hotelinner courtyardspacious roompublic transportationrooms are big
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I came upon this hotel when travelling Europe alone in May'13 as a middle aged woman and my Booked accommodation elsewhere had proven to be a misrepresented and very noisy rip off. It was very late and I was very tired.The really helpful staff quickly organised for me a large quiet clean room, brought my luggage up and directed me to the fantastic restaurant attached to the hotel - serving dinner still at 10pm !!

The price for my large room was great value and included a very substantial breakfast in same restaurant the next morning. Importantly for me Wifi to stay in touch with home in Australia was included in the price and worked well.

The position of the hotel is great if you prefer walking to the tourist spots as I do as it is close to the Citadel and park and Buda Castle is just down the hill. It is in a nice area and has a number of shops nearby including a great cake / coffe shop and a convenience store only 10 metres form the front door.
There is some traffic noise with the property but my room as requested was towards the back and had none.The staff were very helpful and patient with maps, directions, the safe at the office (the only small extra charge) and my attempts at pronouncing Hungarian.

My adult children and I are visiting Hungary at the end of next year and we are definitely staying here.

Room Tip: Ask for a superior room - the extra charge is minimal as this hotel is really good value. Also these rooms are in the area of the hotel that has no traffic noise (the cheaper ones are at the front and probably have some noise from the busy road). They are nice and big also have little kitchenettes which are really handy. For 61 euros a night with breakfast (solo) 71 a couple they are great.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank sallyw587
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Me and my wife arrived very late at night and the staff was very welcoming and polite. The Hotel is very well positioned , close to all amenities a tourist can think of and the Hotel also provides bus tickets to their guests. Our room was lovely, very spacious and cleaned; we were given an upgrade to our room for free and during our stay the staff revealed to be excellent in giving out info and advices to reach our destination in the city. On top of the fantastic service the reception staff also gave us a departing gift in a form of a delicious chocolate bar. Overall excellent service, we were very happy to stay at the Charles Hotel and we will surely come back.
Eleonora and Alessandro

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 20, 2013

This hotel to me is like an old friend. It's not without a few faults, like the elevator that does not stop evenly with the floors and you must climb a few steps up or down to reach the corridors. But the positives far outweigh the negatives. The location on the Buda side makes for a very scenic trip to the Pest city center, just five minutes away. The staff is unmatched anywhere for friendliness and helpfulness. The Janos Restaurant serves excellent food including a great breakfast. The rooms are large, clean, have a kitchenette and are air-conditioned, a welcome feature on a recent 95 degree day. There is free WiFi. No, the furnishings are not the most modern and if you need that, this hotel is not for you. But for most, this hotel is a great find.

Room Tip: The rooms in the back, overlooking the courtyard are quieter than the front.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Stayed in Budapest on 4th June 2013 for one day before travelling to Zagreb for Croatia Scotland football match..

I can honestly say that the reception staff are without question the friendliest and most informative that Ive ever come across at any hotel anywhere. I was travelling on my own and had booked a single room but since it was my birthday the next day they had pickled me for a free upgrade to a big double room with kitchen. Lovely room , didnt do any food at hotel so cannnot comment. The reception staff gave me the lowdown on the different baths complexes. I chose the Szeycheni baths which were just fabulous. Great night in Budapest followed buy a very interesting morning travelling around on trams.

Hotel is just on bus stop five minutes across river on the Buda side. Very easy to get to. Wouldnt hesitate to recommend.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Stayed 30-31 May and 1st June 2013 during a business trip.
For me the location was good since it was near to the place where I had to work. The room was big, bathroom tidy, even a little kitchen was available. Furniture and rug were rather old.
Breakfast abundant, staff friendly and smiling.
Big traffic on the road next to it, can be disturbing during the day if you stay in.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Balazs O, General Manager at Hotel Charles, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

Dear Guest!

Thank you very much for writing a review! I have good news! The furniture of our Standard rooms are going to be changed for new ones in July this year! The furniture will be similar, just a little simpler than those in the Deluxe category rooms already in use. Please ask for a room facing the courtyard next time, if you wish for a more quiet room!
Hope to see you soon again!

Sincerelly