“Second home in Budapest”
Review of Hotel Charles

Hotel Charles
Ranked #44 of 333 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed September 14, 2011

My friend and I were having apprehensions about the hotel since someone told me some negative feedback about it. When we got there however we didn't get where the negative feedback came from at all. The staff treats you like royalty, the place was right next to 2 bus stops, it was walking distance from the Buda Castle, the room was big (for the price we paid) with a little living area and separate kitchen with fridge, and they even changed our euros to forints for a reasonable rate (we checked and it's almost the same as all the other exchange shops but without commissions).

I would defintely recommend this to friends who are looking for quality but budget hotes!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Hotel Charles

Reviewed August 22, 2011

Arrived at Charles Hotel from Vienna. First mistake was getting a taxi to the hotel, which cost £40. The Charles is easy to reach by bus and is well connected with two nearby bus stops. The decor was a bit dated but the bed was huge and very comfortable. As guests you get a voucher for the restaurant and the food is good. Staff are very friendly and attentive and go out of their way to help. We bought travel cards from the reception and later decided we didn't need them; we weren't hopeful of getting a refund but reception duly obliged. Also free wifi! Best value in Budapest.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2011

The hotel looked clean and the staff was nice and polite.
The bed was comfortable and the hotel itself was quite giving me the best opportunity to relax given i had a surgery two days beforehand and that was all i needed!!
Easy to get to anywhere from the hotel.
i am hundred percent sure that i will be staying there in the near future! Highly recommend it!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank timea s
Reviewed August 17, 2011

This Hotel is a treasure.
They sure know how to treat there quests
Great food , Great accomodations, Kind and friendly staff
Excellent location
RJK

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 17, 2011

Although a short walk from the city center, maybe 15 20 minutes, it's downhill, and walking back uphill in the evening isn't too pleasant, especially if you're coming back in the afternoon for a much needed shower in summer.

The rooms are nice enough in a 70's sort of way, some have air conditioning, some don't. The main road is noisey, though there are rooms on the other side of the building. The busstop is pretty close, and there's a nearby 24hr shop.

The wifi worked fine for the most part, probably depends what room you're in.

The staff were fine, friendly and helpful. No-one tried to charge me for brochures or anything as one comment suggested. I didn't feel obliged to tip anyone (though the coins are worth almost nothing so you'll find yourself just leaving them places rather than carry most of the around).

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed June 21, 2011

We stayed here for one night with our parents. It has excellent location, with bus stop in front of the hotel. The city centre is not so far away (within 1.5 km from the hotel). This hotel is located on the Buda side of the Budapest.

The staff of this hotel was very friendly. Sinced we reached early morning, they guided us, about the nearby sightseeing.

In the entire hotel, there was free wi-fi and the speed was good, & we could browse the information very easily.

I will definetely recommend this hotel, even if you are travelling with your parents.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank virgoshivi1819
Reviewed May 30, 2011

I have been going to Charles Hotel for the last 10 years and this is the first time I am writing a review... I travel quite a bit for my business and I usually go to Saint Petersburg, Bucharest, Budapest, Barcelona etc... My business is quite stressful and therefore it is absolutely critical for me to stay in a hotel where I get a great feeling... At Charles I always felt like a real person and not a room number... The crew is very friendly yet professional and can assist in many areas without ever making you feel like you are bothering them! The breakfast is excellent and has great variety on top of being an "all you can eat" buffet formula... The access from the center of Budapest is fast and easy and there is even a bus right across from the hotel taking you directly to the historic center... The rooms are always clean and everything you need is right there, including free wireless internet with very good speed... The minibar is well furnished and reasonable in price... i can honestly say that Charles hotel is one of the best hotels I have ever stayed in, not because of its architecture of fancy decorations, but simply because I always feel at home! I highly recommend it to anyone traveling to Budapest. Long live Charles Hotel! Patrick

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business