Baross City Hotel
$176
Hotels.com
  • Room Service
Savings alert! 28% below average rates

The price you found is 28% lower than this hotel's average rate of $243/night.

$113
$175
$261
$155
$139
Savings alert! 11% below average rates

The price you found is 11% lower than this hotel's average rate of $157/night.

$137
$200
$105
Agoda.com
$493
  • Pool
All reviewskeleti train stationfifth floorbudapest keletimain stationthin wallsbreakfast roomcentral courtyardnice hotelsalamiyour luggageclean roomsmetro linepublic transportthe room was niceconvenient locationexcellent locationshort stay
Reviewed September 28, 2014 via mobile

Thanks for service for everybody! We enjoyed to stay in the hotel. Many thanks to the reception representatives. Breakfast is good and always fresh.
All best wishes and hopefully to see you again during our next vacation in nice city Budapest!

Stayed: September 2014
Reviewed September 21, 2014

The Good: $60 a night for a double. Nice breakfast included. We stayed here twice, rooms 509 and 510 the first 4 nights. Rooms okay, keeping in mind this is not a 5 star hotel. It is at best a 2.5 star hotel with a 5 star location. I was with my wife and brother and sister-in-law. Reception staff is very good and go out of their way to be helpful and be of assistance. Chose this hotel, also because it was advertised as fully "wifi". So many places have full wifi now, I no longer have an international calling plan, which by the way, for those who do not know, you pay for those calls even if you don't answer the phone after it rings. (Check your wireless plan- surprise!) I now use Viber or What's App. Wifi in room 510 was good and free wifi is available all over in Budapest. Sometimes codes are required and sometimes not.
The Bad: We came back to Budapest after 6 nights in Romania. We again stayed at the Baross and did so because the hotel held anything we did not want to take with us. Most hotels will do this if you are returning. We booked the return stay on March 3, 2014 for one night. When we returned they gave us a small suite, rooms 514 and 515 at no extra charge. However, room 514 was very nice and could sleep 4 and 515 was just for two people (Queen sized bed). Now the worst of it; 514 we only had a shower in our bathroom. Upon entering the suite all appeared okay. Turned on the A/C and it worked well and cooled quickly, but it only cooled the living room and kitchen area.
Bedrooms had their own locked doors, so could it be possible that 514 and 515 could be used by non related guests who would share the common living room and kitchen area? Common area had no TV, only TV's were in the bedrooms.
No problem with the above, so far.
Floors were dirty as in hair and dust. Bathroom in 515 had the terrible stench of a "dead rat". Yes, I kid you not. My son is a plumber, as was my uncle and I have done extensive plumbing work myself. I correctly determined that the smell was coming from the bathroom floor drain as in sewer gas. The smell was so bad it irritated my eyes and nose with a burning sensation. I immediately flooded the floor drain with water and used the bath mat, which I soaked with water and folded it up and covered the drain. Opened all the bedroom windows and within an hour the smell was just about gone.
We requested a room change but the hotel was full. We had to live with it. Was the hotel staff aware? Yes, they were as they had "stickup" air fresheners or odor killers placed in three locations inside the bedroom/ bathroom area. I told the front desk receptionist what the problem was, but there was nothing they could attempt while we were still in the room, so we had to live with it for the night. Shower drain very slow and by the time I finished my shower, the pan was filled with more than 3 inches of water. I turned off the water to soap up. My wife almost had the pan overflow.
Finally, my sister-in-law had a gold chain and cross in her luggage on our first stay at this hotel, worth about $250. The first night after checkin we went out for dinner and on the way back, my sister-in-law bought two of those traditional tube cakes and a package of paprika. When we went out the next day, those items were in a paper shopping bag. Both of the tube shaped pastries were partially consumed but wrapped in the clear plastic wrap they were sold in and were in the bag with the 250 gram package of paprika. Room service came in after we left for the day. When we returned the bag with the pastry and the paprika was gone. They made mention of it to the hotel staff and the maid said she thought it was waste and removed it as trash. The management said they would reimburse my sister-in-law for the cost of the items and deduct the cost from the maids pay. I saw the bag sitting next to the desk before we left. It was clear to me that it was not trash and the bag of paprika was clearly visible as were the neatly closed pastries. They choose to let it go as an honest mistake as not wanting to have the maid pay for the items. However, two days later when we were leaving for Romania and my sister-in-law wanted to wear the cross that was packed securely in her luggage. She could not find it. When we arrived at her mother-in-law's in Romania and did a complete search, the cross was not found.
They have room safes. Use them!
Wifi towards the front of the building very poor.
We took car service to and from this hotel to the airport. Only 2500 HUF per person. ($10.33 )

Room Tip: Wifi best closer to the reception area closer to the back of the building. Stay away from the suites located on the fifth and possibly 6th floor. Suites are located in the front of the building where wifi is not good at all. Would I recommend this hotel? A qualified Yes because of the location, but watch out and assert yourself if you have any problems.
  • Stayed: September 2014, traveled with family
Baross_Manager, General Manager at Baross City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 2, 2014

Dear Chickyny,

Thank you for providing thorough review about your recent stays with us. I am very pleased to read your compliments on attentive reception team, nice breakfast and 5-star location.

Despite the good experiences of the first time visit, we are sorry that your next stay was negatively affected by the conditions of the bathrooms. We will be conducting a thorough check on the bathrooms to ensure that floor and shower drains are replaced and we are sorry these could not fixed before you left.

As you mentioned our two bedroom apartments consist of 2 separate bedrooms, each with their own bathroom, are the perfect accomodation choice for families, friends or small groups. Different room type features can be found on our website as we wish to provide as much information as we possibly can to potential guests ahead of making the reservation, thus it never happened that non related guests used two bedroom apartments at the same time.

I would like to assure you we take a lot of care and attention for the safety and security of our guests, as well as their belongings and I am sorry that the cross has been lost, however your sister-in-law told us that she might have lost it somewhere else during her trip.

Finally we would like to thank you for the kindness of your family to waive the cost of the removed items, and handling the situation tolerantly. As you remarked it happened by accident, and the maid very much regret this incident.

We hope to have another opportunity to serve you better if your travels bring you back to Budapest.

Reviewed September 1, 2014

My wife and I stayed at the Baross City Hotel, it was very conveniently located next to the railway station and the metro station, with subways to cross the busy roads. The reception is on the 5th floor, reached by an elevator, but rooms on the 6th floor have to be reached by stairs. We had been given a room on the 6th floor, and as I am disabled this was a problem at first.
The staff at reception very kindly operate the service lift for us to go up and down, and the next day we transferred to a room on the 5th floor.
The reception staff were very friendly and helpful, helping us with simple Hungarian words, as well as suggestions for restaurants.
Breakfast was somewhat basic, a small buffet, but OK.
It is a cheap hotel, so don't expect the height of luxury, but our experience was very positive.
We felt safe in the neighbourhood, and had a drink in a neighbouring 'sports bar' without feeling insecure at all.
We would certainly stay there again when we return to Budapest, as we will definitely do next year.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ChriJan
Baross_Manager, General Manager at Baross City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 8, 2014

Dear ChriJan,

Thank you for providing feedback from your recent stay. I am delighted to learn that you letf with positive experiences and the Front Desk team were able to happily delight you with assistance which also contributed to your satisfactory stay.

We look forward to having the pleasure of hosting you again to make your next stay just as enjoyable. Please let us know when making reservation to locate your room on the same floor as the reception.

Reviewed August 25, 2014

It's ok for a budget accomodation; good price, handy location, tasty breakfast, friendly and helpful staff. Facilities are a bit old, and don't expect any luxury, such as toiletries, etc. Good cost/benefit though.

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
3  Thank Dannydanny2

Dear Dannydanny2,

Your feedback regarding your recent stay is greatly appreciated. It is pleasing to know that our location, helpful staff and delicious breakfast contributed to the satisfaction of your stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Baross City Hotel.

Reviewed August 19, 2014

Very, very pleased with this hotel. They arranged transport for us and couldn't be more helpful. Sardy Fanni in particular was wonderfully professional and helpful. Great hotel and experience of a wonderful city!

• Stayed: August 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with BudgetPlaces
2  Thank woodburn1979

Dear woodburn1979,

Thank you for providing us with excellent rating. I am delighted to hear that the team and in particular, Fanni were able to make your stay as pleasant as possible by prearranging airport transfer service, among others. I shall share these comments with the team and I am sure that they and Fanni will be pleased to have made such a positive influence on your stay.

We look forward to hosting you again on your next visit.