“good value, Great location”
Review of City Hotel Matyas

City Hotel Matyas
Ranked #137 of 336 Hotels in Budapest
Reviewed August 29, 2013

A well-maintained property with an excellent restaurant on premises in an unbeatable location in the heart of Budapest. The room was clean and excellent value. As is true almost everywhere in the city there were street repairs and work on a new tram line beside the hotel, but since we were away during the day, we did not mind it. Good public transportation nearby. We hope to stay here again when next in Budapest.

Donald

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet location. We were on an inner courtyard so heard no city noises.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Donald E M

Reviewed August 22, 2013

We were on a trip to Croatia and Budapest was the place to take a rest in the middle of distance from Warsaw. Right now (August 2013), many streets in Budapest are closed (second line of metro is being built) and it is extremely hard to park nearby. I spent 30 minutes looking for the space (should have been some info on the website where guests can park). The hotel is old and first impression is not good (dark hallway, very small and old lift, cigaretts on the stairs). I booked room 503 - with a view on the river (the view on the river is very nice, but in front of hotel new road is being built - so I had mixed impression - noise, trucks, workers). Generally, location is perfect, should be a litlle bit cleaner, the furnishings should be repaired or replaced - I know everything costs, but afterwards three stars would have been more deserved. The computer from lobby remembers good times of "Wolfenstein" if you know what I mean. Breakfasts were good and tasty - waiter saying "hello" in different languages - great idea! Air condition works good, wifi also - no problem with connection. As I said, first impression is not good, but the more time we spent there the better impression we had. Hotel has a great potential - only needs some money to be invested in. The price in comparison to the standard should be lower (maybe until the work near hotel is done?). For those who are staying for a short time in Budapest I can recommend that hotel - the location could not be better.

Room Tip: 503 - great view on the river, but also on the bridge (could be noisy, especially in the morning wit...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Grzegorz P
Reviewed August 12, 2013

The building shows its age (a century), and the non-renovated (yet) section, where I stayed, has awfully bad common areas (stinking elevator, ancient electric cables on view, poor installation of movement-sensitive electric lights, sullen interior patios and iron-gridded windows). The Matyas Cave where breakfast is served is not up to the task of warming us for a day of work or hollidaying; it speaks high of a past age when it was used for merry festivities, and is able to seat a couple hundreds people. If you keep in mind that it is a 3 star hotel, it is good value for money. Piers for the Danude cruises, departure stations for the (competitive) hop-on-hop-off bus tours, dozens of restaurants, thai massages and money exchange offices within a radius of about 200 meters... The great (positive) surprise is the quality of the beds, and the cleanliness of the rooms and the bathrooms, and their maintenance.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Rafael P
Reviewed August 9, 2013

Location was wonderful, the tram-, busstops and metro were very near.
Street renovation project front of the hotel disturbed...
Our room was very dark and too much steps for person who has bad foot.
The staff were friendly.
But anyway we slept well and breakfasts was nice!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 8, 2013

Worst Hotel I've seen in my life!
Rooms were very dirty. We booked 2 rooms with Danube view and when we got here one had no AC and in the other one the AC was not working. After a scandal and thratenings with custom care and reclamationa we got a second room with AC even we were told that the Hotel was full and they couldn't do anything for us.
The carpets and the cortins were VERY dirty and the rooms were full of mosquitos. I couldn't sleep and had one of the worst days of all my vacations abroad...
Defenetly not an 3 stars Hotel. DON'T ACCOMODATE HERE!!! The city is awsome though!

• Stayed: August 2013
Zsuzsanna C, General Manager at City Hotel Matyas, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2013

Dear Raluca Petrus,

Thank you for your feedback about the hotel.

We are very proud of the room cleanliness thanks to the housekeeping department’s efforts which is proved by numerous positive guest comments below in high contrast with your statement. Approximately 60% of our rooms equipped with air-condition. Because of the record warm in early August, we tried to provide air-conditioned rooms to all of our guests, but some Danube-view rooms are not equipped with this feature. Maintenance department check the air-condition system in all of our hotels daily during summertime. In case of any malfunction we are strive to solve the problem as soon as possible.

We are pleased that one of our most highly rated service is the sleeping quality beside the location and the cleanliness.

In 2011 our hotel has successfully passed the European Union Certified 'HotelStars' process. From then it has the right to use the 3 stars classification with the corresponding services.

Hope to have the chance to welcome you again and will leave the City Hotel Mátyás with more positive experiences.
Best regards,

Zsuzsanna K. Csapone
Hotel Director

Reviewed July 24, 2013

It was very well located in the centre of the city and the price was very competitive. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and also very accommodating on the day we were flying home, as they kept our luggage safe in a locked room after we checked out. They were on hand with maps, directions and additional items if we needed them and the room was kept very clean.
It is very near a lot of the main attractions, within walking distance of the main bridges.
I would recommend it to anyone wanting to explore Budapest from the heart of the city and the efficient aircon was very welcome after a day of walking in the sun.

Room Tip: We were on the first floor and only had one flight of stairs to go up with our suitcases so that was...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I stayed here for two nights 17 &18 Jul 13. Was a tad difficult to locate due to all the ongoing roadworks, but once I found it, (via friendly construction workers), was very happy with the location. It is an old building, but that is what I was after. I was on the 3rd floor facing the main road, and had a beautiful view of the Danube and BudaVar.
The room was a decent size, with excellent hanging space and shelving for clothes. the only negative I had about the room was no air cond, and at night i had to close the window due to traffic noise, which made the room hot. Apart from that, staff were exceptionally pleasant and helpful. I arrived three hours early, but they were happy for me to leave my suitcase so that I could start exploring, likewise, on my departure I left my suitcase until I was ready to leave Budapest.
The location is excellent and close to public transport, the vibrant Vaci Utca, the Danube, and all major tourist attractions.
I travelled alone and felt safe at all times, even returning late after an evening boat cruise.
Would definitely recommend this hotel, and will stay again when I am lucky enough to visit this beautiful city.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo