First, the situation was nigh on perfect. If you were to choose a no expense spared, premier quality and location hotel in Budapest, then the Four Seasons Gresham Palace would be in the top three. Looking across an open piazza with grass and trees towards the Castle in Buda, and directly aligned from the entrance with the Chain Bridge, it is the perfect spot, but you only get to appreciate the situation if you have a front of house room, or when you are leaving. Just a few steps down the street to the right of the Four Seasons is this gem of a hotel.
Not quite perfect, but so close as to mean that a five star rating for a hotel of this type and price is justified. My only niggles were concerned with maintenance issues, a curtain ring was unhooked from one of the curtains in our bedroom, and the hinge pin on the freezer door of the refrigerator was broken. Nether affected the utility of the room, and, quite honestly, that was it. The rooms were huge, each roughly 7 metres by 4 metres, with an en suite bathroom off the bedroom. Both had large windows onto the street with very effective double glazing. The lounge had a kitchen area, with sink built into a granite worktop, fridge and microwave, a comfortable 2 seater settee, a low coffee table, and multi channel TV set into a polished wood floor to ceiling built in unit. The reverse of this was in the bedroom, with a second, identical TV. The lounge also had a desk area, with comfortable computer chair, the desk was provided with a lamp, power socket, and international standard internet sockets. The bedroom had a superking sized double bed, with dedside tables, on had a raised area with tall mirror and make up light, and there was more than adequate wardrobe space. Modern, clean, comfortable, and welcoming.
Reception was quickly expedited, the staff all spoke excellent English, were friendly and helpful, and seemed pleased to see us. Chambermaid service was unobtrusive and first class, fresh towels as we requested, fresh bed linen every day, and what we used from the mini bar replaced promptly. We used the mini bar on a couple of accasions, as, unlike most mini bars, the prices were competetive with the local convenience shop. Breakfast was served between 6.30 am and 11.00 am, a far longer time than I have encountered elsewhere, and the quality and variety of breads, pasties, croissant and jams, plus savouries and spreads, was such that we never felt the need for a traditional 'Full English'.
All in all, for the price we paid after a trawl of the internet I doubt better value for money could have been found, although I understand other hotels in Budapest at various levels of luxury offer similar value deals, the Kempinski for one.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to the Starlight Suites Hotel Merleg Budapest! Experience four star luxury in the centre of Budapest. Our hotel is located in the city centre in close vicinity to the Chain Bridge and Szechenyi Square. Famous sights, such as the St. Stephens Basilica, the Hungarian State Opera, and the House of Parliament are within 5 minutes walking distance of the hotel. The easy to reach public transport system will get you to your destination effortlessly, no matter if you are attending a business meeting or are exploring the famous sights the city has to offer. Our spacious 54 suites and apartments offer 4-star comfort and a complete set of business facilities. Take advantage of the hotel's amenities, relax at the hotel bar after a long day or exercise in the gym, which comes complete with a sauna and steam room. If you are travelling by car, take advantage of our parking and valet services. The front desk is staffed around the clock and our friendly team is always ready to assist you. To make your stay as pleasant as possible we offer full concierge services, such as tickets for the public transport system, restaurant reservations, etc. We will be happy to help our guests anytime. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Agoda, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, HostelWorld, Travelocity, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Starlight Suiten Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Starlight Suiten Budapest
- Hotel Starlight Suiten
- Starlight Suiten Hotel Budapest