“A Step Back in Time”

$23.17*
Budapest Card
Ranked #5 of 122 Spas & Wellness in Budapest
More attraction details
Owner description: This thermal bath, built by the Turks in 1566, retains a strong Islamic style.
Reviewed January 1, 2014

This baths is located in Buda, directly located on a bus line (take 7 or 7A, which drops you off at the door). I had a curious incident buying my ticket; a lady, speaking in English, was guiding all the tourists to buy the combination thermal + pool ticket (4200HUF), her explanation being that the thermal tickets had “sold out” for the day. That didn’t make any sense to me, so I asked her to clarify, and she mentioned something about it being crowded and there weren’t any lockers left (it still didn’t make much sense, unless the locker vs. cabin situation was tied to the thermal ticket only being allotted a locker). Anyway, as I prepared to pay at the counter, the cashier there asked if I wanted the thermal ticket, then quoted 3600HUF. I tried to explain what the first lady had mentioned, but she didn’t speak English well enough to understand. When the first staff member intervened, they ended up selling me just the thermal ticket (rather than combination), and it rings up at 3300HUF. I was confused how the price of the ticket could have changed 3 times within 10min; I’d like to think the staff at this bath wasn’t trying to upsell tourists to a higher-priced ticket, but I don’t know how else to account for the discrepancy.

Anyhow, the bath itself is rather nice. It’s known for being quite old, dating from the 15th century. Inside, it is Turkish in style, with stone walls, a domed ceiling with cutout glass windows (it was night when I went, so there was no light streaming through the colored glass). It’s dimly lit, and foggy. There is one big circular bath in the middle, then 4 smaller baths to the sides (2 cooler, and 2 hotter). Bars surround this center pool, and people were hanging towels off it; some men were also doing pull-ups, which only adds to that archaic, gymnasium feel. There is a steam sauna that I didn’t use, and a dry sauna, that’s partitioned into 3 rooms (getting progressively hotter); the hottest dry sauna was a mere 80C, so traditionalists of the Finnish styled sauna probably wouldn’t approve. There is also a cold dipping pool after steaming. I went on a weekend, which is for co-ed use. My bracelet actually unlocked a cabin, and I saw no locker room anywhere (leading me to think there is no locker room -- this makes sense, because most days of the week, this bath is reserved for single-sex use). In the end, for 3300HUF, I’d recommend a visit. The baths are historic, and you do get that sense of stepping back in time. But if you end up paying over 4000 forints, then you might as well go to a bigger bath with nicer facilities like Szechenyi.

1  Thank fielight
There are newer reviews for Rudas Baths

Reviewed December 28, 2013

The thermal baths were quite nice, but when it came to the massage it was quite sketchy. The massages were given by half naked men who were all in all untrained and really off putting. There were pictures of naked women in the message room and also the person giving the message had his camera phone in a precarious place over the table. Would not suggest to anyone! The most uncomfortable experience I've ever had.

2  Thank Annondale
Reviewed December 25, 2013

Baths are big thing in Hungary. Rudas Baths are one of the oldest in Budapest, unique place. They are conveniently located on the Buda side, just across white bridge next to the river bank. You need only 2-3 hours max to enjoy the place, check the baths and enjoy the hot pools.

Ticket is ~10 EUR per person. You can rent a towel (deposit needed ,or take one from you hotel) and buy all the other stuff if forget to bring with you. It's great to visit Rudas baths to relax after a long day of exploring the city. Cool place!

2  Thank DimitriPros
Reviewed December 23, 2013

I visited in September and December and tried four Budapest baths. This one become my favorite for atmosphere and decent massages. First time was very confusing because most of the staff don't speak English. I advise to take a careful look at their opening times because of male only, female only or coed times.

1  Thank David T
Reviewed December 19, 2013

Wow, this was a surprise. Had been to Szechenyi the night before and thought it couldn't be beat. Was I surprised. So much to offer here. The dome is just beautiful. All the different pools with different temperatures, and the buckets full of ice cold water than you can pull down on yourself. It was such an authentic experience and just so fun trying all the different options. One of the steam rooms was literally so hot I couldn't breathe, and one of the pools separate from the main area was so cold I didn't dare enter. Went here on a whim and so glad we did. What a great memory. If I come back to Budapest, I will come here 100%.

2  Thank osidekid