“Mediocre and somewhat overrated”
Review of Lukacs Baths

and up
Budapest Card
Ranked #10 of 124 Spas & Wellness in Budapest
More attraction details
Owner description: Popular thermal baths existed in the same location during Turkish times, although the current building dates from the late 1800s.
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Picked Lukacs solely based upon other tripadvisor reviews. Lots of external construction. Not much signage, if any, to denote bathhouse. Ticket must be purchased in a separate building. Will echo same in regards to being a maze. Relatively small comparative to photos seen of other bathhouses. Cabin, thermal bath and swim area are on different levels. Internal signs are in Hungarian and majority of staff does not speak/understand English. I won't hold this against the establishment, but can take note to make it more user friendly. Geared towards locals. Pretty certain during my visit, I was the only tourist. Average age of patrons - late 40s. Spent majority of time in the warmest pool in thermal area. This is the one with the small fountain. Overall, very simple. I've been to other thermal baths and will say it is mediocre with not much to write home about in regards to amenities. The best it extends is the fact that it is not rampant with tourists. The biggest negative is that I misplaced my phone at the ticket counter. I realized it after bathing. I went to inquire at the desk and the staff feigned as though they didn't understand me albeit they knew enough English to chase me out as it was near closing. I blame myself for being careless, but the end experience left a bad taste.

2  Thank wayfaring_texan

Reviewed October 1, 2012

If you've already been to Széchenyi or Rudás, then this is a must. Newly renovated (end in October 2012), local atmosphere, wellness and thermal waters outside and inside. Good for a relax day, or even just a quick swim.

1  Thank lamotta_bp
Reviewed August 28, 2012

This review is meant for travelers that intend to visit one of the many thermal baths that Budapest has to offer. For Hungarians, I am sure the Lukacs Baths carry a completely different type of appeal; but, for tourists, the Lukacs Baths offer an authentic and interesting experience.
Some of the previous reviews complain about the construction going on, but when my friend and I were inside it was 99% unnoticeable. The Lukacs Baths are indeed small and in a certain light I found this to be an advantage. The lack of choice makes for a less adventurous and more relaxing time. I felt as though I didn't have to spend my time exploring, mainly because there was really not much to see. The baths Lukacs does have are nice, quaint and quiet.
Don't expect to come here and have a lively conversation with your pals, but do expect do come here and sit with a bunch of olderish locals and not speak (or speak quietly). Nobody seemed to mind when my friend and I snapped a few photos but we were very inconspicuous in doing so. Again, this is NOT a touristy place in the least.
My best suggestion, time permitting, would be to go here and one of the more tourist-centric baths like Széchenyi. From there you may form a preference.
Lukacs is not the most luxurious nor is it the biggest. It is, I believe, the most representative of a "local" place and if you want to get a feel for the actual people living in Budapest, I wholeheartedly recommend giving it a try.

4  Thank robdh0811
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Lots of signs in Hungarian but few staff speak English so it became a bit of a maze! I was terrifies at first because I had no idea where I was supposed to be etc. You buy your ticket in a separate building to the baths (out on the road). When you first enter the baths, to your left is where the Turkish (thermal) baths are - 4 baths and some saunas. If you continue straight ahead there are lockers, and through there you reach the outdoor swimming pool (you need a hat) and the outdoor fun pool (no hat needed) with waves, jacuzzi etc. There is also a further sauna and cold pool here, as well as a sun terrace and cafe.

My recommendation would be to spend 10-15mins in one of the saunas, and then brave the 16 degree water for a thorough detox. it's scary at first (because it's so cold) but then feels amazing - my skin was so soft afterwards!

I loved these baths the most for character and atmosphere. i came as a young woman alone and felt totally safe - i spent over 2 hours here and could have stayed longer except i had a flight to catch!!

The lockers have a trick - you press them closed with the entry bracelet they give you, and that locks them. The reverse unlocks them. If you need towels or a swim hat etc, you need to go through the locker room and then to a door on your left (there is one english sign saying "entrance" - this is how the fun pool and cafe etc are reached). Walk all the way to the end and down the stairs one level. Here you can hire towels for 300ft plus a 1000ft deposit. down 2 more levels gets you to the cafe, fun pool etc.

Complete maze but worth it!

Definitely very healing and very enjoyable too :-) Just dont be terrified by the lack of other languages!

5  Thank LondonSnap
Reviewed August 17, 2012

today morning i went to this bath and pay 2800ft for hot spring but the waitress took me to swimming pool and tell me i could only use the two pool and didn't let me go to hot spring area,after i went out of the door i found something wrong,and the waitress just tell me i was out can't go in again and only say sorry.afternoon i came back to disscus the problem and this company did nothing for their mistake. so what i want to say is "lukacs bath" is a very very terrible company and i don't suggest anyone to experience!

3  Thank traihonhwe