“Not a very enjoyable experience”

Szechenyi Baths and Pool
Szechenyi Bath Entry with Gourmet Dinner at Gundel Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 116 Spas & Wellness in Budapest
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The palace-like edifice contains a huge thermal pool where people often play chess while immersed in chest-high, and very hot, water.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Stroller parking, Activities for older children
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Not a very enjoyable experience”
Reviewed April 20, 2014

I had high hopes for this bath house as it was my first bath house experience and the reviews listed are generally very good. I was just there this afternoon and found it extremely overcrowded, run down, the hygeiene was questionable, the food available was questionable and the service was not helpful. Maybe my expectations were too high, but I was hoping for an overall relaxing experience. However I only found myself noticing the lack of cleanliness on the floors, showers, toilets, etc. to the point where I just wanted to leave. I did attempt to sign up for a massage as a last effort to make it a relaxing experience, but after 3 different staff members gave me conflicting directions of where to sign up for a massage, I never even found the right area. My advice is to stop by to see the inside but save your money and find a bath house with a reputation for being clean. Btw, I never write reviews but feel so strongly about my opinion of this place I felt compelled to write a review as soon as I returned back to my hotel.

4 Thank BrittT105

Brampton, Canada
3 attraction reviews
“Beautiful!”
Reviewed April 19, 2014 via mobile

We went on a really sunny day and enjoyed the outside bath and tanning on the sides. One of the outside baths was closed but we didn't know until we were already inside.

Reading,
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 150 helpful votes
“Stayed for hours. Szecheny in the winter, Gellert in the Summer”
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Previous reviews meant we had low expectations of service when we arrived at the baths but, as recommended, entered through the back entrance by the metro station. Here we were met by very charming people who were obviously selling the extra treatments available at the spa. As my wife wanted a massage, we took them up on their offer and service was very good. We were able to pay for the massage and entrance fee by card at that time, were escorted through to the changing cabins and then given a quick tour around the facilities. I know they were there to sell products but this was certainly in direct contrast to the surly service experienced by others.
The massage area is on the top (3rd) floor. This consists of a large relaxation area with comfortable chairs and, particularly, hammocks. There is a juice bar and massages are given in curtained off booths. My wife was very pleased with the massage which she felt was very professional. She was asked about any problems (aches and pains etc) and these were worked on in particular. She still feels benefits now, some 4 weeks later. I was also allowed to use the facilities at no extra cost which I thought was a nice touch. Use of the 3rd floor area is offered as an extra. However, the rest of the Baths are so good that, without the massage, I am not sure I would use the facility. As an aside, the embroidered towels are good quality and good value.
The spa is worth reviewing in two parts – inside and outside. There are 3 outside pools, one of which is dedicated to lane swimming and where a bathing cap is mandatory. There is a hotter pool with fountains and is where the chess players can be found. There is a maximum recommended time for this pool. Finally, there is a heated pool with whirl pool, jets, fountains etc which is the fun pool. This is more suited for families and kids we saw were having a great time. There is a very large sunbathing area which is tarmacced. The outside area also has a pavilion and cafes where the food was ok. Indoors, there are a number of pools with descriptions of benefits each one offers. We really enjoyed the indoor area, moving between pools, steam rooms and saunas. Great fun to be in and also great fun to just people watch.
I would come here when the weather is too cold to sun bathe. We had previously been to the Gellert during the summer and found the outside areas offered more than the Szechney, particularly the wave machine and the general outside lay out. However, Szechney has far more to offer during colder times, particularly the indoor pools where the Gellert’s choice is quite limited.
We went into the Baths thinking we would spend a couple of hours here but stayed for over 5 hours. The baths are so relaxing and we just loved sitting, relaxing and people watching. We also love floating in hot water when the air temperature is cold – bliss.
Tips: You get your own “cabin” to change in which you lock and can access as and when you need to. This is really helpful as you can leave money, cameras etc in there with reasonable security and get them when required. There is more than enough room for two people to change and one cabin per family (in shifts) is sufficient. There is a restaurant and a cafe in the outside area were the food is fine for what it is and reasonable value. I would always take my own towel!

Visited March 2014
3 Thank brucestalker1
Manchester, United Kingdom
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“A MUST IF IN BUDAPEST”
Reviewed April 19, 2014

We booked our tickets through the hop on hop off bus tour (Big Bus tours) - Make sure you have exchanged your online hop on hop off bus tour ticket for a yellow ticket before you go to the baths. The staff in the baths are friendly and most important helpful. Once through the turnstile a member of staff allocated us a cabin each (which was included in Bus tour price)> the cabin is very secure with an electronic wristband. Before we went to the baths were really unsure how safe the cabin would be with valuables (mobiles, money, cameras etc) but everything was secure so nothing to worry about. Once in the outdoor pool of 36 degrees you just relax and enjoy! If you are conscious of how you look in your swimwear (like me) don't worry - it is not an issue at tall! Infact everyone is soooooooo relaxed they couldn't care less! Inside are about 10/12 individual thermal baths - all at different heats etc.. just walk through each door and you'll find another selection of pools! You only have to wear a swimming hat if you are in the main swimming pool outside (this pool is set out for lane swimming - probably more locals than tourists) in the other outdoor pools you don't have to wear hats - unless you want to. We took with us flip flops, swimwear and towels so can't comment on that side of things. After a few hours we were so relaxed we were more a less floating around for the rest of the day!! Well worth a visit.

1 Thank cassin27
London, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Very relaxing”
Reviewed April 18, 2014

I visited the baths on a sunny afternoon after a heavy night out. They were a great hangover cure! It was a little bit of a walk from the centre of town but the park they are in is lovely. I spent around 2 hours there but probably could have spent more if I'd used the saunas and plunge pools. All in all a great thing to do in Budapest (if you have already been to ExitPoint).