“Colder the better!”

Budapest Szechenyi Spa Entrance with VIP Massage
Ranked #4 of 122 Spas & Wellness in Budapest
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The palace-like edifice contains a huge thermal pool where people often play chess while immersed in chest-high, and very hot, water.
Useful Information: Stroller parking, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed September 29, 2013 via mobile

It's a bit chill in Budapest now and my friend and I wet there in late afternoon, we planned to stay there for 1.5 hours at most.

Thanks to the previous comments, recommendations for bringing towels, slippers and little amount of money are necessary. On top of these, I suggest bringing around 10,000ft plus 1 credit card per person there is better in case you want to have massage or meal there.

There are newer reviews for Szechenyi Baths and Pool

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Such a beautiful place to spend an afternoon. Be sure to remember a towel and flip flops. Try the whirlpool in the middle of the big pool. Very fun to flit from pool to pool and find your perfect temperature.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

Do not miss this experience! A day at the Szechenyl Baths was a highlight of our week in Budapest. It is not a tourist trap, nor is it a luxury spot. It is part of the culture and way of life of Hungarians. Everybody and every body type is there! You will quickly lose any self-consciousness as you meander from inside to outside, from one bath to another. It does take a little getting used to, to find your way through the entrance. We took a cabin, which we highly recommend for couples; you can remind one another of the cabin number which you cannot forget if you want to find your clothes and belongings. And you can easily forget, as the warm thermal spring water eases whatever hurts. In the outdoor pool, there is a constant display of people, including men who gather daily to play chess in the pool. By the time we finished, we wished we had spent more time here, and we vowed that this will be a destination spot for the future, when we need help with arthritis and aching muscles. The message was extremely reasonable, decent if not great, and a perfect end to a week of travel. Do not miss it!!

1  Thank richchar
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Visited today, Sep 29 2013! All pools were open, both outside and inside. Other reviews on these baths made things easy, but was young lady explaining options in English as we stood in the queue. Took my own microfibre towel which worked brilliantly and pid 1000HUF for a bathing cap. Most people had flip flops or similar and being Sunday they could be purchased outside in the markets... I didn't actually need them as all the paving was smooth and obviously repaired today. Was very warm and interesting experience, though navigating my way around the inside pools was confusing at first! Enjoyable morning and I would visit again.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

I had read about Budapest's famous baths and decided to try one and Szechenyi Baths proved to be a good choice. It's very popular with locals and tourists alike and a good way of relaxing away from all the sightseeing 'must do's'. The outdoor pools were excellent, the indoor pools were a touch confusing as signage was only in Hungarian and I had no knowledge of what pool to enter first/whether there is a sequence etc but I guess that doesn't really matter, Signage in English would have helped greatly as staff speak little English - and my Hungarian non existent. An experience with a difference for sure and worth giving it a try.