“Not as expected!! Do not get the massage!”

Szechenyi Baths and Pool
Szechenyi Bath Entry with Gourmet Dinner at Gundel Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 116 Spas & Wellness in Budapest
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The palace-like edifice contains a huge thermal pool where people often play chess while immersed in chest-high, and very hot, water.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stroller parking, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children
Corinth, Texas
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Not as expected!! Do not get the massage!”
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Well, going in if u aren't with someone who can show u the ropes is confusing. There are numerous massage vendors which we did know so we chose the first one in the door. My cousin wanted a facial but told it was not available only to find out that other vendors did offer that. DO NOT EXPECT AN AMERICAN SPA EXPERIENCE. It's far from it. The setting is old and somehow felt unsanitary. The tiles in the pool are slimey. It is crowded. And the massage experience was really BAD. My cousin and I went in to get a massage together. There was a man and a girl masseauer and once inside the room we went to, after a series of halls and stairs. The man looked at me and said "switch". Which led me to believe he wanted the better looking of the two of us. Then, we were in wet swim suits and they told us to lie on a very HARD, SLICK table with only a sheet. I refused to lie down with my wet suit and asked for a sheet. After they looked at each other they finally complied. The young girl had no clue how to give a massage. All she did was rub. The table was so hard on your face when face down it left marks on my face. Take your own towel, shampoo, etc. NOTHING is offered. I would not go back to this one. Maybe a better one somewhere in Budapest. Leaves a lot to be desired.

1 Thank WandaLaffane

• Turkish first
Middle England
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 78 helpful votes
“A Must do but be prepared”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

I booked this easily on line. We wanted to end our short break with some cooling off to escape the heat of Budapest and sore feet from sightseeing. I booked the VIP couples massage but didn't feel much like a VIP.
Yes you are met by a representative whose English was way better than my Hungarian and you get shown to the "Private " cabin and escorted to you treatment. This definitely made it a more stress free visit than if I were to work it out on my own.

The website however is very clear and informative. If you read all the info about visiting the baths, the cabins and towel rental you will not be surprised!

The positives! Arguably visiting the oldest Thermal baths and Spa in Budapest is a must do! The environment is great and of course it is popular with tourists - plenty of English, Australian and French at the time of our visit.

Our couples massage was brilliant and we had a full hour of refreshing and relaxing massage. The masseuse will work on any areas you feel need particular attention.

The shower facility near the Private cabin was clean enough, however these are shared facilities and I found that leaving the towels on the only hook outside the shower was a bit of a problem!

Some of the indoor pools were crowded as were the steam and sauna, but let's face it, it was the height of the summer and bound to be popular but we felt that we didn't get the most out of our experience.

The negatives. Well it was very busy and crowded. The towel hire and return was disorganised and chaotic with people pushing in line etc and just one female member of staff to deal with the handling of money and deposits etc. Don't be fooled into buying a Swimming Cap which it says is necessary - this is only required in the main "Swimming Pool" and not the leisure pools.

Sun beds are not free and are charged at HF200 per hour. You have to guess how long you will need one. The alternative is lying on your towel on a hard concrete surface or sitting on one of the few wooden benches dotted around the complex.

I would strongly recommended bringing your own towel. The ones provided are adequate but the experience of paying for the refundable deposit and towels was a joke. The recommendation is for one towel but I would honestly suggest two but at HF700 each plus deposit that may be an indulgence.

Some of the equipment does not seem fit for purpose. There were problems with our electronic tag at the turnstile which seems to allow people in and out through the same gate causing obvious frustration to some American tourists we encountered.the till machine at towel hire seemed incredibly slow printing off receipts.

The private cabins are ageing, cramped and not particularly well lit. My partner and I shared as we used only one tag. The electronic system (which was having a bad day!) allocates a cabin to you. I wasn't sure if our cabin would be adjacent to each other or at the other end of the complex. They are just about bearable if you shared but the website also advises about this.

We didn't sample the food or drink, electing instead to take or own. The facilities for this didn't seem great.

Like a lot of Budapest, there seems to be ongoing repair work to the buildings. This complex is steeped in history but quite frankly it is desperately showing its age both internally and externally. Hopefully if we visit again in the next few years the Schzernyi Baths will have undergone a complete renovation without losing its character but bringing some of the facilities into the 21st century.

1 Thank TinpusherCheshire
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Best way to spend an afternoon after walking all morning...”
Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

Lovely. I webt both to this and the Lukas baths (or however you spell it--the one that cones free with the Budapest card). I was debating springing more money for this one, but it was totally worth it. I went on a Wednesday afternoon in summer and it was quite full but not overcrowded... definitely a lot of tourists but also locals. Chill out in any of the 18 baths and you won't be disappointed! (You might get a little pruney though. :D)

“Relaxing and picturesque!”
Reviewed July 18, 2013 via mobile

Lovely pools, very relaxing. Not too easy to navigate around the centre and a bit confusing with paying for lockers or cabins but once your in its great!

Raleigh, North Carolina
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“What a treat to experience this historical location”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

We spent a couple of hours on a Sunday morning at the Baths. All of the offerings were not available on Sunday, but it was good to just enjoy the atmosphere. The baths were already starting to get crowded, even at this early hour. Try several of the baths both inside and out to get the whole experience.

Visited June 2013