“Budapest2”

Budapest Szechenyi Spa Entrance with VIP Massage
Ranked #4 of 122 Spas & Wellness in Budapest
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The palace-like edifice contains a huge thermal pool where people often play chess while immersed in chest-high, and very hot, water.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Stroller parking, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase
Reviewed April 7, 2013

Visited on a cool but sunny Eater Monday, pools full of people sitting enjoying the warm water both inside an out. Inside pools range in temperature up to 38 degrees, with sauna/steam rooms. Outdoor pools are lovely and warm, even the lane swimming pool was a nice temperature. The price of 4800HUF may seem expensive but it is well worth it,and you could stay for the whole day and the whole hungarian bathing experience. Staff friendly and helpful. But remember your bathing hat for lane swimming

There are newer reviews for Szechenyi Baths and Pool

Reviewed April 6, 2013

We decided to chose these Baths as they looked more impressive than Gellert and Rudas (which we had looked at the day before, but didn't feel the right vibe). The outdoor baths looked impressive on the wet, cold winters day.

We paid 4300 HUF (about £13) for an all day entrance ticket, with no cabin (private changing facility). I went off for an hours massage prior to entering the baths, as they recommend this (so that you're not wet, and so you can soak after your muscles are relaxed). My massage was excellent - to book it seemed a bit dodgy, but was genuine. They recommended paying by credit card as the exchange rate was cheaper, i thought it was a have, but sure enough, it was about £15-£20 cheaper on my credit card, than cash (HUF or EURO).

I bought a Spa ticket, and was sent to the other side of the building to enter as the female lockers were full on the side i had my massage. It was confusing to know where to enter once i was in the buidling as there was 4 entrances. I later learnt it didn't matter (all roads lead to Rome). The staff didn't provide any information to me at all, and most of them don't speak English. My friends told me their entrance experience was very helpful.

I found the female lockers - just like you have at the gym. When you buy a ticket, you get a "watch" which is what you use to open and lock your locker. If you forget your locker number, there are machines on the wall you put your watch against which tells you your locker.

I went upstairs to find a towel to rent (would have taken my own, but was on limited airline luggage). Towel rental was back downstairs, and there was a longggg queue. Only 1 staff member was serving. It takes ages, as you have to pay a deposit (4200 HUF) and they swipe your watch. The queue I was in, only had bed sheets; no towels. I didn't know this when i queued. My friends had towels, and no queue on their side of the building. Towels are 700 HUF to rent, and bed sheets (yes, really a bed sheet) are 400 HUF. No signs or mention of where to return the towels/sheets. I joined the same queue to return my sheet. After waiting more than 25 minutes to get to the front of the queue, other return people were being served by the 1 staff member - which may explain the long queue.

2 outdoor pools. 1 hotter than the other. The cooler pool has a centre piece, which the younger ones were making into a whirlpool.

The swimming pool requires a swimming cap - no entry otherwise.

There is a whole indoor aray of baths on the opposite side (to my lockers). I eventually found my friends in there.

I loved the outdoor pool. It was busy (which we'd been told before we chose to go here), but it is tolerable. It rained while i was soaking outside, which is a cool atmosphere. Your towel/sheet gets wet though.

The indoor pools are super busy.

Bring your own flip flops and towel. That is a must!!

1  Thank High-Flier-Kiwi
Reviewed April 6, 2013 via mobile

We had a lovely time here. There are many different baths, medicinal with different minerals in the water and different temperatures - try the 40 degree bath followed by the 20 degree next to it!

We had a free ticket as part of a March promotion with our hotel which gave us a cabin which was useful to have a changing room and locker in one. You are given a plastic watch to wear which you use to go through a turnstile and then you have to press and hold on a reader by the cabin to see which number cabin you have been allocated. Once changed you can go downstairs into the baths.

The outside pool is great even in winter as you have a cold walk to the pool but then its lovely to sit in the warm steamy water.

We paid 750 each to hire towels, and had been told at reception we would need to pay 4000 deposit each but were never asked for it when we asked the towel guy - he seemed happy enough to just take the 750.

1  Thank jp8898
Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

The great thing about this place is the warm steamy outside pool, you wanna stay a couple of hours in it. The pools have cooler temperatures in summer. Beer can be bought at the otside bar but not brought into the pools, then a man with a whistle will be grumpy. It's not very cheap but it is relaxing. Confusing for foreigners where to go and change/shower (no signs in english, but friendly staff). Easy to reach from the city centre by Metro, or by 30 min walk, The Hero square is close. Grilled corn is sold nearby when you're done. Just go and enjoy :)

Reviewed April 4, 2013

A bit bizarre at first with all the different pools and rooms and it's not clearly evident at first where to go but great once you get it all figured out. I imagine this would be great in both the summer and winter but I prefer the hot pool so for me the winter/fall is better. It's pretty nice laying in a hot pool in the cool air.