All reviews mom park sauna and turkish bath conference rooms are budapest city executive room nice hotel buda side swimming pool business trip big hotel small bathroom free wifi reception staff shower room bus stop public transportation clean rooms
Reviewed January 4, 2014

We stayed at the Novatel City for 6 nights while on a tourist visit to Budapest this pre Christmas - December 2013..

We use Novatel Hotels many times and found this to be a very nice hotel and well above the standards we get in London!

Located in Buda, it was good to be away from the busy Pest area across the water but using both the daytime and the excellent night buses. We were able to go all over the city ( Buda and Pest sides).

The advantage was we were staying in more of a residential area and with very few tourists which meant is was quite and much better quality.

Although its a little expensive with a certified taxi to at first travel from the airport which took about 40 minutes, the location is served so very well with public transport even at 01:00 in the morning!

Beware visiting the Parliament building due to reconstruction work, and very poor information as to when it open or closed as you can waste lots of time walking there and then finding its closed.

What helped enormously, were the ladies at the reception, who gave us good directions about trains, buses and even if we needed taxis and even Cecilia at the front desk who had knowledge about the folk dancing.

We ate our evening meals nearly all the time out of the hotel, in town and the restaurants offer such a good selection of dishes and wines and not really expensive - so go and enjoy!

Oh, by the way, the Hotel is referred to as Novatel City but everyone including the buses call it that - it is locally known as "CONGRESS" so be warned !

Also the men at reception worked VERY hard to do everything to help us even with a breakfast box and a hand with the cases.

Thank you all for speaking English and helping us - you are really a credit to Novatel Hotels and one of the finest reception operations we have used from all over Europe !!!!! (UK, France, Germany, Slovakia and Czech to name a few)

The slightly down side of the hotel that needs improvement was the dining staff at breakfast could not easily cope with foreign visitors and the very junior ones spent too much time being a bit playful near the doors to the kitchens even while we had our food which was not very nice and they really need more training when compared to upstairs service.

Another thing that need re assessment, is the hot food at breakfast - VERY VERY BORING and how about some boiled eggs for a change or some beans or grilled tomatoes - the rest of the buffet was excellent but the same routing, points to laziness on the Management of the catering and really this needs some new strategy. The system for small coffee cups rather than a mug size needs to be examined too.

The Bar upstairs and food from it was excellent and very attentive staff thank you.

The rooms were easy to access with a lift that had a pass key.

It included tea and coffee in the room, laptop size safe and free wifi all over the hotel - WELL DONE Budapest - that's one of the reasons we chose you as its not just the added cost that annoys me but the principle of offering value for money and the Novatel group in UK could learn from this - are you reading this ACCOR - stop charging for WIFI please !!!!

Also you can buy bus/train/tram transport cards from reception - 24 hours or 48 or even longer and saved LOADS of time getting these done beforehand. Oh yes, they do check you on the bus and train - and the train outside of the city which is NOT covered on this pass (different line) can you believe, they give you a discount of the fare if you show them the travel pass - Well done Budapest !!!!

Nearby are some sports facilities both in the hotel, spa and sauna and outside too but due to bad colds, we did not use them.

Nearby is a shopping mall so you will not be short of things from a Spar shop such as groceries to clothes, shoes, jewellery and even telephones. The is also a very good exchange bureaux to get Hungarian Forints and they do not charge very high commission like they do in town - thankfully - and they also give you a printed receipt so it quite above board !

You can explore Buda further by taking a tram or bus and also a train and go to Szentendre which is a riverside town, and a MUST as it's really gorgeous - Google it please !

Also there is a quite good Mammot shopping mall further up town via a tram and its got loads of shops but BEWARE the Ten Pin Bowling staff ripped us off as tourists do beware Mammot Bowling

We did have a slight problem of building renovation whilst there, as it woke us up early about 8 but the Deputy Manager took all step to stop this and even offered us upgraded rooms.

We even enjoyed the park outside the hotel too !

All together, we were rather sad to say goodbye after a very nice stay there and such welcoming staff !

We would be very happy to return again and probably will.

Room tip: Ask for a quite room when you make the booking !
Date of stay: December 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
BVinette, General Manager at Novotel Budapest City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear Valued Customer,
Thank you for this very detailed review. Your kind words are very much appreciated and my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourselves in Novotel Budapest City. I look forward to welcoming you back at our hotel.
Kind regards,

Reviewed January 2, 2014

I often stay to Novotel City when I go to Budapest for business meetings.
If you come by car you can reach it at the end of the motorway coming from Balaton lake and it has a large outdoor reserved outdoor parking.
Rooms are in the Novotel standard but i would suggest to choose the superior room.
Hotel is generally well mantained even if in some part would need to be renovated.
Restaurant has a good local and international cuisine while near the hotel there is shopping/sport complex with a wide variety of restaurants.
Breakfast restaurant unfortunately is oftern very crowded due to turistic groups
Pool and sauna area is also fine.

Just take care of heavy traffic once you have to cross the Danube but it is all over Budapest the same problem.

Date of stay: September 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
1  Thank martinof

Dear Valued Customer,
Thanks for your review. I’m glad you had a good stay with us at Novotel Budapest City and I hope to see you on your next trip.
Kind regards,

Reviewed December 1, 2013

This is an hotel attached to an excellent conference centre, which is why I was there. The location of the hotel is not ideal for sightseeing and the ability of the reception staff to arrange taxis was poor. The first time, I gave up and didn't bother going out. On the final day I booked a taxi to go the airport for 4:30pm at 9am and at 4:45pm it still hadn't arrived. At 5pm when one did eventually arrive, the credit card machine was not working so I ended up paying cash in Euros. The room was the smallest room I have ever seen in a Novotel - the toilet and shower rooms were especially cramped and the air conditioning didn't cool the room (it might have been turned off centrally), so I had to sleep with the window open, which, thankfully, was not too noisy. The breakfast selection was large, but much of the food was of poor quality and the hot food was mostly cold on the four days that I stayed. Staff at the front desk appeared to be constantly harrassed. The conference centre and the staff running it were excellent, however.

Date of stay: September 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled on business
BVinette, General Manager at Novotel Budapest City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Dear Valued Customer,
Sorry to hear that you were disappointed with your stay at Novotel Budapest City. I’ll look into this matter for you. Please feel free to let us know immediately if you have any concerns during your stay in the future. Kindest regards,

Reviewed November 26, 2013

I recently made my first trip to Budapest and stayed at this property, I can't remember if I have ever stayed at a Novotel previously. The rate was affordable and as I was staying for 7 days and travelling by myself, I didn't feel the urge to stay at a luxury hotel. Lets face it, when you are in a city like Budapest, how much time are you going to be spending in your room. The Hotel is well located, I never waited more than 5 minutes for a taxi into the main city.

I had an Executive Room on the 4th Floor, which had a seperate lounge room and bedroom. The room was spacious and clean. The window partly opens, meaning that the room can get fresh air, and there is a Nespresso coffee machine as well. The have a pillow menu, I ordered the firm variety and slept very well on the comfortable bed. having flown in from Sydney, a flight of 3 sectors and over 24 hours, door to door, when I arrived into the hotel early Monday morning my room was ready, this was beyond my expectations, but I was delighted it was.
All of the staff I spoke with during my stay, had a good command of the English language.

I have to say that I went to Budapest with little expectation, I was meeting friends from Munich, who were staying at The Four Seasons Gresham Place (Wow), I absolutely fell in love with the city, its rich cultral heritage, its people and its amenities. The restaurants in terms of food and service delivery, were wonderful. The big bodied Hungarian Red Wines were a revelation. This might seem odd, but I am a lover of Premium Vodka, Kauffmann is not available in Australia, but every bar had it on their shelf, I was in heaven !!!!!!

Date of stay: November 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank Foghorn27
BVinette, General Manager at Novotel Budapest City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2013

Dear Valued Customer,
Thank you for posting your thoughts on here, we really value your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back at Novotel Budapest City.
Kindest regards,

Reviewed November 21, 2013

This is my first weekend spendid in a Novotel hotel with my daugters. And I find it quite a pleasant surprise. From the first step when we came to the reception utnil check out, my impesions are the same, that is a very good place. People are friendly, profesional and well organized. You feel that they really care about you. Kids received welcome presents and they were happy all the time.
Hotel is clean and safe. Room 316 on the third flloor was not so big but very comfortable. Just one thing missed a good armchair or another chair.
Breakfast was good and the restaurant is very nice situated with a view to the park.
Also we came earlier and without our group and they accept us very friendly and gave us a room immediately. I will come again at Novotel Budapest City hotel in a future.

Date of stay: November 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
BVinette, General Manager at Novotel Budapest City Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Dear Valued Customer,
Thank you for your very kind words. They are very much appreciated and my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourselves in Novotel Budapest City. I look forward to welcoming you back at our hotel.. Kind regards, Bruno Vinette General Manager