Hotel Molnar Budapest
$410
$235
TripAdvisor
  • Pool
All reviewssecond buildingbus stophotel is situatedfree wificitytaxis
Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

I did reservation amd payment for two 4bed rooms. But on my arrival they told us that is mistake and we cant got what we payed. They told us to wait on check in 1 hour (1pm). And gave us just one room. Room was cousy and very old. They charged us for breakfast extra and it was very basic, not worth to pay.
I would not recommended to anybody. Even location is on hill so very difficult to accses.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Okay, I stayed at this hotel twice in the past (of the 8 times I've been to Budapest). I cannot remember how I stumbled upon this hotel, but I stayed there in 1998 when I was traveling alone for a week in Budapest. This hotel was in a quiet residential neighborhood up in the Buda Hills. Rooms were nice, clean and decent quality. Breakfast was excellent and the price was certainly an incentive. Unfortunately, this property is in a very remote and inconvenient area. A substantial amount of time was needed daily for transportation to/from the city center and all of Budapest's major sites. It seems no matter how you do it, with the exception of taxi, to get to the city center, historical sights, etc. will involve a combination of some walking + bus and/or tram. This is a big time waster getting to/from this hotel. You definitely never want to forget something important back in your hotel room because it's no easy feat.
3 years later (March 2001), I took my mom to Budapest for her first time and my 6th trip. Despite the location, I decided to stay once again at the Molnár Panzio. Everything was fine until it was time to check-out. (During our stay, we were told by a friend of my mom's to call a very good acquaintance who lives in Bratislava, Slovakia who would be happy to be our tour guide for the day if we happened to want to take the easy train ride and see another capital city. In the middle of the trip we tried to call her (Jana) at 8:58pm but it went to voice mail so that call lasted less than 1-minute. I didn't leave a message, so I actually made another attempt to call which was at 9:00pm and this time Jana answered. We talked and made arrangements and the phone call lasted perhaps a total of 16 minutes).
Because of a very early morning flight on MALEV Hungarian Airlines, my mom & I had to depart very early for Ferihegy Airport. It was about 3:45am when we made our way to the front desk to check out. The previous night, with the help of the receptionist, we arranged a taxi to be ready for us by 3:50am and we were told also that because we would miss the breakfast service, they would pack a breakfast box for each of us.
Immediately after seeing the folio of charges, I was confused as it was almost $30.00 more than my mother had estimated, and she is rarely off by much ever. Looking over the charges I saw something that did not make any sense whatsoever. We knew we had to pay for those calls to Bratislava, and we knew ahead of time of the approximate phone charges, but we only had the one call of any significant time length (16 minutes). It did show that we made that call at 9:00pm lasting 16 minutes. No problem there. (It was about $19-20 for that call). The problem was the call made at 8:58pm which went to voicemail and lasted less than a minute before ending the call. But the statement of charges did not show that 8:58pm call lasting only about 1-minute. In fact, it stated that the call made at 8:58pm was 22-minutes in duration. Huh?! How is it possible to make that call at 9:00pm if we were on the phone from 8:58pm until 9:20pm?? There's only one phone line in the hotel rooms, so how does one make two calls simultaneously? Not possible. So, politely I explained the discrepancy on the folio and asked to have that charge of approximately USD$28.00 removed from the bill because we did not make a call lasting 22-minutes long and looking at the times on paper, it was clearly not even possible so this had to be a computer error on their part. Having worked for a hotel in the past, I am fully aware how simple it is to adjust any guest charges if there was a computer error, service failure, etc. and this should have been handled swiftly, but it was not. The lady at the front desk refused to take the charge off the bill. I was dumbfounded and immediately was disappointed as this should have been easy to see that it was a computer billing error. Instead of providing the expected customer service in a situation like this, the lady actually made up ridiculous excuses and taking no responsibility for their billing system. (We were told that "Computer says you made that call, so you must have," and "Maybe you forget to hang up the phone properly.") I was getting furious, so my mom who just wanted to get to the airport and not be late for check-in, calmed me down and said I should just pay it and try to rectify it later. (I should have disputed the charges with MasterCard, but I had never done that before and didn't even consider it). I did send a stern email to the hotel manager. I introduced myself and made it clear using company letterhead that I was a travel agent who was one of their top agents and that I have traveled extensively to Europe and because of my great fondness for Budapest, send quite a few clients there based on my personal experiences and recommendations. I asked for this erroneous charge to be credited back to my account and was positive in my tone about staying with again in the near future and recommending their hotel to clients.
Adding insult to injury, I don't even get a response back from the manager, rather I get a short fax from a front desk staff member. Once again, they refused to credit my charge card and said there is nothing they can do, but the next time I stay with them, they will give me a nice "gift". That was the end of the line, and I sent a fax back and made it clear that I would never stay with them again, I would never recommend their hotel to any clients, and I would let all the other agents in the company within Wisconsin about what happened and not to book that hotel. I also made it clear that their lack of good judgment and poor customer service will definitely cost them far more than the $28.00 that I should have been credited. But as I said, due to this remote location, it really is just terribly inconvenient and wastes too much time on public transportation, and Budapest has so many other hotels that are centrally located, far superior in quality, but not insanely higher in cost. (If you really want a great hotel with a great location, and an amazing breakfast buffet, I strongly recommend the ASTORIA Hotel (3-4 star hotel, depending on which hotel section you're staying in). Guess I will have to do a write-up on the ASTORIA. (Stay tuned)

Room Tip: **DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL; even without considering the fiasco I had endure, the location really should eliminate this immediately.**
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Jason Y
Reviewed September 10, 2012

We stayed for one night at this hotel. Very nice room but the only problem was the toilet which was a bit noisy. We had a great view from the balcony- over the Budapest, which was perfect in the night. The food is perfect and the wine also. The hotel stuff is very friendly and helpful. Each time that we will go to Budapest we will stay there.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 3, 2011

We stayed for one night while driving accross Europe. Location is good with easy to get from highway. The family room was not what we expected - it was two small rooms with shared corridor, the bathroom was a little bit strange (see picture) with bath digged into the floor. No elevator so picking the laguage through the narrow stairs was a test for my muscles. Anyway the staff was very nice and friednly and the breakfast was good enough. The courtyard is nice place to relax.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed July 30, 2011

We stayed at the Molnar Hotel for the 2nd time since 2002 for "dental" reasons. We had a nice room in the "dependence" with view to the city. We had dinner on 4 evenings at the restaurant and it was every time very good and not expensive (between HUF 10000 and 12000 for beers (temperature was about 35 C), wine, starter, main course, sweets and coffee). We shall stay there again should we ever have to comeback to the dentist.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple