“Budapest Zoo”

Ranked #32 of 478 things to do in Budapest
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: One of the oldest zoos in Europe, established in 1866, features the hippopotamus, bred in captivity, and an animal nursery of lion and bear cubs.
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Very good zoo. Interesting animals! Also it is close to the subway for convenience.There are also stands where you can eat some food while your there. Overall, it was fun.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

This zoo is massive! We were there for a good 6 hours and we still missed a wee bit at the end. We didn't even stop to read stuff in the education centre (big rock). So keep a whole day aside if you want to get the most out of your visit. You can feed lots of the animals (with the food provided) and you can walk through a lot of the enclosures and get up close with the animals. We spent most of the time at the sloth bit where there was a couple of babies that were so cute! Worth every penny.

1  Thank Elaine W
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Okay, I love zoos. I love zoos a lot and have been to zoos everywhere I've traveled. And I love this zoo for many reasons. Mostly it's the randomness. Have you ever seen a town of guinea pigs, with a statue of their guinea pig mayor? Do you want to? Have you ever fed a Bactrian Camel? Have you ever had a lemur climb on your shoulder? Have you ever had a bat practically land on your head? Have you ever had a sugar glider hang out two feet from you? If you like your animals almost wild (and reproducing like mad apparently), go to this zoo. It is crazy, and I'm convinced that they lose the animals regularly. It's basically a free-for-all and it's awesome! I would go back if I ever get back to Budapest!

Reviewed October 13, 2013

Had been meaning to visit for some time now. Wanted to see the fairground before it shut but the queue was too long! Chose the zoo instead and we were NOT disappointed. We will go back before we leave Budapest.

Reviewed October 13, 2013

I think it is the best place of Budapest Zoo. There are no fences or nets so you can examine the beautiful butterflies very closely. Also check the little Asian elephant, Asha! :-)